• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seawolf LE short review [pics heavy]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
BREITLING AVENGER SEAWOLF LE

Model: Seawolf LE
Maker: unknown
Movement: a2836
Dealer: Hont

Soooo, where shall I begin?
I was browsing the forums a few months back and noticed a thread where somebody was asking if this rep had been released. It wasn't, but looking at the gen made me think it was a very nice watch and I would have liked it to be repped because I wanted it.
Naturally it went out of my mind in a second, as I'm always searching for new watches to add to my collection and find new "wanted" ones almost every day :D

Then suddenly, a few weeks ago it was released. Quick look at the pics (the seawolf is a not so new rep and I knew it as a well made one) and bam! Ordered.

You know, always research the watches you want to buy in order to not be disappointed...

When I received it my feelings were mixed. The watch looks great and has a great wrist presence, but the construction quality is not what I expected.

Now, after owning it for a week and wearing it a couple of times I can say I'm satisfied with it, as I said it looks nice indeed. But it has a bunch of noticeable flaws that can be not so easy to live with, so I hope to do good to the forum members by trying and point them out so that a possible buyer know what to expect.

Please forgive some speckles of dust in the pics, black DLC and white velvet don't go well together! :)
Here we go:

CASE

The case is full DLC'ed, with a slightly brushed, semi-matte finish. Color is darker than the gen pics I've seen, but still nice. I expected a "gunmetal" color, it is instead almost black.

Case shape is close to gen, but the curve of the lugs, as you can see from the side view, should be rounder.

BEZEL

Bezel is brushed in the outer ring and polished in the inner side, giving a nice contrast.
The bezel turns in one direction only as per gen, all numbers are well engraved and number 1 don't look like "flagpoles".
It is not very tight though and the clicks aren't as crisp as, say, my H-fac skyland avenger.
Moreover, some dings can be observed under the coating, probably from poor machining of the bezel.

PEARL

The pearl was a great issue on this one, apparently it was coated in the DLC process, so I had to remove a black layer that was covering it and manage to scratch badly the pearl that was laying under it :(
I then had to remove the pearl holder, brush it a bit to remove the bits of DLC that was there and reglue it in place.
What can I say, it was my first attempt at a kind of "modding" thing, and even though the result is FAR from acceptable, I'm still happy with it. Call it a lesson learned ;)

CROWN

The crown is another detail that could have been done way better.
It has the correct shape, and the "B" is enough defined, but the finish on it is matte, different than the rest of the watch. That's not so noticeable on the wrist but still...

DIAL

Dial is black with yellow accents (red accents are available as well).
Lume dots and metal indices are well placed, Breitling logo is nice and not crooked, hands are nice as well. The yellow seconds hand is what sold me to this watch ;)
Date is perfectly centered.
The BREITLING inscription under the 12 marker has wrong font, not very noticeable flaw but it's there.

Lume is fairly weak and AR is good but not exceptional.

CASEBACK

Caseback is polished ss as per gen, and all the engravings are very well defined. Shape is nice from the side and it looks pretty good, in contrast with the black case.
Pity it shows the wrong model number, the reference is that of the Chronomat Evolution. Again, no biggie but another flaw to add to the list :)

STRAP

Strap is very nice both in color and feel. It's very soft and has nice grain, the underside is made of smooth leather that gives a very comfortable feel on the wrist. At least no need to change this one :)

CONCLUSIONS

It is a nice watch, and it gives his best on the wrist thanks to its great presence.
My take on this is that if you really like it you can live with the flaws, which are after all acceptable for a rep, and maybe have a bit of fun trying to fix some of them. I know I did :)
On the other hand, if you see it as just another watch to add to the wanted list, there are a lot of better made reps in the same 280-300 usd price range to choose. The Skyland Avenger, the Tudor BB and many of the 44 mm Luminor PAMs are the first that come to mind.

Some more pics:

Mandatory wristie:

As usual I'm glad to update with any findings by other members, so if you find any inaccuracy or anything I missed please let me know :)

:cheers:

fsxfan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/4/14
Another fantastic review and those pictures are really amazing. I would never have spotted any issues with the Breitling font! I recently bought a light tent and photography lamps, so I must try and learn how to get some better photographs. I received my Seawolf today and put some pretty basic pictures here:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks mate, I must have shot 2-3 thousand pics before achieving an acceptable level :lol:

Congrats on your seawolf, pretty sharp piece with the yellow dial, and nice first pics :)
A tent is a great help, if you want to improve there are a couple of great tutorials in the shutterbug studio section.

bonesy

9/4/14
Another great review and quality pics, waiting for the postman this morning for my delivery. Didn't go with the Chronomat B01 that I asked you about a couple of weeks ago went with Super Ocean abyss chrono with yellow I'll post some pics up later today but wont be at your level just my sh*tty Iphone.
2nd watch in 3 weeks Mrs. wont be happy, but I will LOL:nana:.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I read the SOA chrono is a great rep, but I don't own one (yet).
Do post some pics when you receive it :)

As for the Mrs., buy her a Cartier, she will be more inclined to accept your hobby! :hehehe:

bonesy

9/4/14
Yes good plan K, delivery company was showing today by 6pm waited all day come 6 o'clock looked at web site still waiting custom clearance hmmmmm been there since Saturday plus it's been bank holiday in the uk so more waiting and praying.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I feel for you, the wait is always the worst part of the game ;)

bonesy

9/4/14
Quick update mate the Mrs text me in work earlier and asked what have I ordered from China again haha
Quick photo will post a thread tomorrow
9yryqatu.jpg

Sent from you know what

luckywatch

12/7/14
Kilowattore thank you for the excellent review, big fan of Breitling but you let me know this isn't the rep for me. Thanks for all the great photos and detailed breakdown, most appreciated. Sharing the knowledge is what makes this a great place!