• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SuperOcean Steelfish short review [PICS HEAVY]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish H-factory v2

Model: SuperOcean Steelfish
Movement: A2836-2
Maker: H-Factory
Dealer: m2m

Hi guys :)

Today I'm posting another review of a not so recent rep: the SuperOcean Steelfish from H-factory or SOSF.
I got this watch in an m2m deal a few months ago. It came with a scratch on the AR that didn't bother me and still doesn't because it's barely visible even in hi res pics, almost invisible in real life.
This to say I was aware of the problem with this particular watch, but this is no common issue on this rep.

I think the SOSF has been one of the first watches considered to be a super rep, and I must say it's a well deserved title. As you will see in this review the flaws are really few and minor.
This watch replicates a particular version, called X-plus, that appeared when Breitling dismissed the previous 42 mm version, in years 2006-2007. During year 2007 the 42 went definitively out of production and the name of the 44 mm was changed to simply SuperOcean Steelfish. In the same year the square seconds hand (used for this rep) was replaced with the current arrow shaped one.

Gen X-plus on the left, old 42 mm on the right:

Thanks By-Tor for By-Tor's gen vs rep comparison.

CASE

The case is brushed SS with polished accents on the side of case and bezel, really good looking and without that bling that many breitlings have.

Case shape is perfectly replicated, I can't find any noticeable difference from gen. The mid case is about 1-2 mm larger than the bezel, just like in gen. Despite the stated thickness is 16 mm, the case shape makes the watch look thinner than it is. To make an example it looks much thinner than my skyland avenger which has the same dimensions.

The crown is maybe a bit longer than gen, but is nicely worked and closes tight. The "B" on the side is spot on.

On the other side of the case, the HE valve placed at 9 is possibly a tad too small, and I think it's not working though I never tried going under water with the watch, I'm not prepared for a fail scenario :)

DIAL

Gen:

Rep:

The dial is the most stunning feature of the watch. It's an amazing color, changing from dark blue to electric blue depending on the light. The concentric circles texture give it a sort of 3d effect, more noticeable in strong light conditions. From the informations I gathered though the texture of the dial is a little less crisp than gen, and color is said to be off, gen has a grey shade in it.
The most noticeable flaw though resides in the lume dots, in gen they are flat and white while the rep ones are a bit protudring and color is a bit greenish. In my opinion this latter effect may be due to the fact that this watch has the strongest lume I have ever seen and it can be charged very easily, I've seen it glow under full sunlight! Maybe not gen-like, but stunning :)
Hands have correct shape and nice polished finish, I noticed the red part of the seconds hand is a fraction of millimeter too short compared to gen. Impossible to see without a loupe and comparing rep and gen side by side.

As you can see all details are crisp and well defined:

BEZEL

Shape and finish of the bezel are amazingly good, again almost impossible to spot the rep without a loupe.
At great magnification though it's noticeable a slightly worse finish of the rep, the engravings are less crisp and less deep.
Numbers font is correct, and the brushing has a radial direction which, along with the polished blocks at 3-6-9-12, enhances the global "shine" of the watch.
Pearl is spot on, I can't tell a difference here. Maybe just a little too recessed.

Operation is smooth, the clicks are neat and the feeling is great.
On the side, the Breitling "B" is engraved.

CASEBACK

Caseback is closed, crisp engravings all around, correct model number and maybe a little too tall font of the serial number.

BRACELET

From the look the Pro II bracelet is perfectly replicated, the links move free and are held together with the same system seen on the Skyland Avenger, after all it's the same bracelet, only brushed ;)
Screws are not flush with the bracelet on the side, this is the only tell IMHO.
It feels heavy and solid and the brushed finish gives it a nice rough touch. Some members found the edges of the bracelet to be too sharp, but I can't confirm this. To me it is very comfortable as it is.

CLASP

A little note on the rep clasp, it's working well and the engravings are all there nice and defined, but the stamping of the breitling wings is uneven, it's deeper on one side and shallower on the other. This is a common flaw as far as I know.

CONCLUSIONS

I can only say I could not be happier with this watch, the flaws and differences from gen pointed out in the review are totally minor and can be observed only under strict scrutiny with a loupe or on macro pics. Weight, finish, AR, lume, dial, bezel, bracelet create a quite convincing replication that any Breitling fan should have in his collection.

Some more pics:

Lume shot:

And wristie!

As usual feel free to comment and advise any inaccuracy stated, I'm glad to update the review with contributions from the membership of this great community.
Thanks for looking and for giving me the chance to share :)

:cheers:

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Excellent review.
You took a lot of effort in making the pics. Nice!

Can't wait for mine to come in.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys, glad you like :)

sjw1921

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/14
How do u feel about the bracelet? It's the best choice ? Better than leather one?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Usually rep straps are awful, so I tend to order the watch on bracelet plus a spare strap buckle. This way I can buy an aftermarket strap I like and use the rep buckle with it.

vmena

9/4/06
So the old SFSO was 42? Or 44? I had the SFSO and I think it was 44. Bought 4 or 5 years a go. Don't remember the dealer. I still have a gen rubber strap and rep leather bracelet with gen buckle. Maybe I'll go for a new one but would like to know how identify which one I had. Don't remember if square seconds hand.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The gen SOSF was 42 mm before 2006.
I don't know if there is a rep of that model...
Apart from the size, it had a different bracelet, the PRO I, which had straight links and I think polished center links.
You can see it in the second pic, it's on the right :)

ArtVandalay

Horology Curious
9/5/14
Does anyone have a good source to get this bracelet in 22mm lug size? I have the watch on black leather band, but I'd like to option to switch back and forth.

morninglory

27/1/09
Wow great review; just ordered a V2 from Trevor. Now am still undecided blue or black, but having read your review blue seems the way to go!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
If you want the closest to gen take the black, if you want the nicest take the blue! :D