• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Other Vintage Blancpain Sources?

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Edit - just had message from him. The BP is $1300...
Crazy,
When I log in it still shows $950,
df80c24fc5faafc112b6eb652d06a34a.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
It seems there's no nice vintage BLANCPAIN divers available so I'm really thinking about building one from parts.
I have skinny wrist (16.5cm) so a Fifty Fathoms 3H Bund should be great :
- 41.5mm only
- recessed crown at 4:00 (makes the watch look smaller)
A real toolwatch with clean dial and bezel and designed to stay "under the radar".
I just started selecting the parts I could use for such a project and I already have a few leads ... I'll let you know if I eevr achieve to build that beauty

Just buy a squale to start with,
They made those cases for blancpain back then, case is still the same
80d8c83a625cd9890f0a98d7e369e1b4.jpg
eb0e910fba47bd8c925411a11b287e13.jpg

Reactions: Hor-Fan

Saiper

2/9/12
UK
Crazy,
When I log in it still shows $950,
df80c24fc5faafc112b6eb652d06a34a.jpg

Yeah, it says that for me as well so I was quite surprised when he quoted that much. The fact that he also avoided the other questions I asked put me off as well. Still, onward and upward. Sent you a message over on rwg btw.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Yeah, it says that for me as well so I was quite surprised when he quoted that much. The fact that he also avoided the other questions I asked put me off as well. Still, onward and upward. Sent you a message over on rwg btw.
Thats a joke if it's the same bezel and case as dsn. Dsns were great but bulky, always bothered me. At 1300 this case should come slimmed down already or something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Just buy a squale to start with,
They made those cases for blancpain back then, case is still the same

At $900, more or less, the Squale 50 Atmos sounds a little expensive to start with for a build to could come or not come to a final success ;)

2 days ago I received a Steeldive SD 1979 ... nice Squale 50 Atmos hommage and $135 only
I'll start working on it within a few days and see how it goes ...

jZdlOS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hor-Fan

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Thats a joke if it's the same bezel and case as dsn. Dsns were great but bulky, always bothered me. At 1300 this case should come slimmed down already or something.

Case is not like the dsn case, its much slimmer and takes an as1701 movement rather than an eta

Reactions: Horace Derwent

Saiper

2/9/12
UK
Some news of the FF BUND 3H ... going nicely :)

Dial is ready for lume work but I need to make a custom handset with larger minute hand and lolipop second hand

Next week I'll do the casework and engravings ...

Looks smart. What case have you used?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Looks smart. What case have you used?

Steeldive SD 1979 ... as mentioned some posts above ...
The case needs quite a lot of rework, drill lugs, etc ... it's little too thin but I couldn't find any other option for a fair price.
I have sterilized the dial and used it as a base plate for my custom dial print and I'll keep the NH35 movement.
Next custom parts to make will be the sterile black insert (should be easy) and the BUND 3H custom handset (definitely NOT easy)

Reactions: SenorCoveyy

Saiper

2/9/12
UK
The case needs quite a lot of rework, drill lugs, etc ... it's little too thin but I couldn't find any other option for a fair price.
I have sterilized the dial and used it as a base plate for my custom dial print and I'll keep the NH35 movement.
Next custom parts to make will be the sterile black insert (should be easy) and the BUND 3H custom handset (definitely NOT easy)

Nice one. Sounds like a difficult build. Will be good to see how it progresses:)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nice one. Sounds like a difficult build. Will be good to see how it progresses:)

Not such a difficult build as long as you can live with some flaws ... case is too thin, caseback is too thin
The most difficult step is to get the dial and handset as there are none already repped in the market ... so you have to print the dial and make the handset by yourself or have all this custom made.
I have printed the dial myself using film-free decal ... + some tricks :p
I'll need some help for the handset ... I have made the design on Illustrator and sent the file to a maker that will laser-cut and paint the hands then send it to me ... unlumed as I'll lume everything "old-style" ... $90 so pretty expensive but there's no other way ...

Reactions: mir36

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

the steeldive case lug to lug is 51mm, i know Squale's are about 48mm. Im not sure what gen is but I'm guessing its 48 or less. do you plan on doing any work to the lugs to reduce the l2l length?

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
the steeldive case lug to lug is 51mm, i know Squale's are about 48mm. Im not sure what gen is but I'm guessing its 48 or less. do you plan on doing any work to the lugs to reduce the l2l length?

Yes I'll do ...
- shave, chamfer and drill the lugs
- polish and brush the whole case
- chamfer the bezel ring
- engrave cashback and case at 6:00
- put fixed 2mm bars
The case will still be far from the original but nicely "lookalike"

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
case and case back are too thin but it don't bother me that much ...
and now they are engraved and they look much better IMO

f8eec01ae253fdcf4f08e30c4c645b27.jpg

shadysimoon

Known Member
6/1/20
U.E.
Bravo
Fantastique construction
Can't wait to see the final result
But all the steps show your passion and knowledge
It's beautiful

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hey all, my old tornek Rayville was just listed m2m by another gentleman.

You may want to hop on it!

Reactions: SenorCoveyy