• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Homages and Replicas

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I'm on the market for a homage or replica of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, and I was wondering if people have any alternative suggestions or opinions about some of the watches I've identified as possible options. For reference, this is the look (of the gen) I'm trying for:

30707.jpg

Now for some of the contenders:

Yobokies Fifty Fathoms Mod of the Seiko SNZH57 $295

IMG_6119.jpg

Davidsen Fifty Fathoms FF95 - $330

dsc0027yn.jpg

Davidsen Fifty Fathoms F28 - $330 (I assume)

DSC_7656.jpg

drudy Fifty Fathoms Homage - $425

547233d1320152769-anyone-make-fifty-fathoms-homage-besides-mkii-precista-img_8195.jpg

Helson's Fifty Fathoms Homage - $649

SkinDiver.jpg

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
I like Harold's (Yobokies) and Dennis Rudy's the best with a slight edge going to the Rudy homage....it has a Swiss 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, and Dennis is located in North Carolina should you ever need it serviced.

I'm going to buy one of the Rudy FF homages....need to move a piece or two first.

I have had business dealings with Dennis and he is a great guy and enjoys a stellar reputation.

BTW...I'm not sure of Harold still offers that FFF....you might want to send him an email and ask.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Davidson FF95.
But anyone who knows the actual watch will assume it's a rep due to the value of the gen.
Otherwise, Yobokies as I really like the Seiko movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
How much does the gen go for? I see the new version is about $13k retail, but what about the vintage ones?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
The genuine, vintage Fifty Fathoms models are a lot harder to find on sale these days. But the last time I saw some (about a year ago), the more recent ones from the 1970s and 80s were going for around USD 4000. A Tornek-Rayville TR900 went for $15000 two years ago, so it's probably worth a bit more by now.

As for a 50s/60s Fifty Fathoms, I will take a wild-ass guess that they would sell anywhere between $10000 to $20000, depending on condition and rarity. Assuming you could find a genuine example, of course. Perversely, that price range is about the same as that of the new Blancpains!

Your other homage choices include the Precista PRS-50, the Corvus Bradley, and the MkII Stingray. Based on what I've seen, I like the Helson best for the early generation FFs. The Bradley is a great Tornek homage, but really overpriced. As for the MkII and Precista, someone posted a fantastic comparison between the two on WUS some time ago. Worth a read.

One more thing. I wasn't familiar with drudy, so I took a look at his Fifty Fathoms posts on PMWF.

I'm positive that the watch is the same as Davidsen's--even down to the crap strap! DSN sells his Blancpains as sterile homages if you really want them unbranded, so you could save yourself a few bucks by going straight to the source.

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
As far as the similarities between DSN's FF and Drudy's FF....I don't see where DSN even offers a FF with arabic numbers...it's not listed on his web site anywhere.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I guess one difference between the DSN and drudy offerings is that drudy is supposed to have a sapphire crystal, but I'm not sure about what the bezel cover is made of.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
You're right; I completely missed the sapphire on the drudy. Personally, I prefer the plastic crystal, but there have been some complaints about its quality. One guy on RG said that his crystal cracked twice. Mine has held up OK.

The bezel insert is acrylic. Only Corvus offers a sapphire bezel insert, and that's a $200 option above the price of the Bradley. Did I mention I find it horribly overpriced? :)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Then there's this guy: At $695, sterile dial.
I really do get the feeling that all of these FFs (Drudy's, International Watch Man's, and DSN's--probably others) come from the same factory in China. That includes the manufacturers who say their cases are "MADE IN GERMANY". (The cases are finished in Germany, but the blanks are sourced from China.)

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I like the Corvus. Yes, the horribly overpriced one...

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I wanted to share some photos of my new Helson Skindiver (sapphire crystal and sapphire bezel insert).

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
MKII stingray can be added to the list. On the phone so it's a bit hard to link a photo.

boutsk

Known Member
17/4/17
I know that this is an old thread but if there is any owner, I wonder how the quality of the helson skindiver (case finishing - crystal-lume ) compares to the latest fifty fathoms reps from noob and zf and if justifies the extra $$. I don't mind if the dial has helson brand instead of Blancpain, it is a good looking watch and 41mm

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
I assume same case and bezel as Helson and the others, cheaper components (dials, NH35, crown, bezel insert, strap)...but...100$
Still waiting for it to see if I'm going to plan to mod and undgrade it....

mmexport1538995347458.jpg