• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Review: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Chrono (Quartz)

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I have been attracted to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms style since Enzo was making some similar vintage models. I could kick myself for not buying one at the time.

When this replica became available I had to purchase it just so I could review it even if it is a fantasy watch.

Let me get some housekeeping items out of the way.

Factory: Chanel / Chopard (produces almost solely quartz watches)
Market: Guangzhou (of course)
Weight: 100.4 Grams
Case size: 45mm
Thickness: 16.35mm Case Back to Crystal
Width: 49mm Crown to Case
Crystal: Advertised as Sapphire w/AR Coating. My supplier confirmed with me it is sapphire so it's a pretty good chance it is but would love for someone to test it.
Lug width: 22mm
Strap Length: 115mm / 75mm
Strap Width: 22mm which tapers to 19.5mm
Strap Material: Nylon, it could be better, to much of a plastic feel.
Price: $100 (Colored Dials $105, PVD Case $125)

My overall feeling about this watch left me wanting more, not more watches but more in terms of quality. This is not a super rep nor is it a steal at $100 , it is simply a Guangzhou made quartz fantasy watch that has a slightly improved SS case (engraving is decent, weight is ok) what I am saying is if you are used to wearing a super rep, this watch will simply feel like a cheaper quartz rep. There are hundreds of replicas that feel and look much cheaper than this replica so please dont think I am describing it as a worthless canal street $20 rep, it is not, it's much nicer.. but not a high end watch.

The bezel insert feels acrylic and I am positive it will easily scratch or be gouged if hit against something sharp.
The bezel has a lot of play. It does click nicely around the case but has play in it if you try to turn it clockwise. It is not crisp in it's clicks if that makes any sense.

The engraving on the case is very nice. It is crisp and well machined. The same goes for the case back. It has a high polish to it and the etching is nice and uniform as well.

The chrono pushers appear to have the locking system like the bce or daytona but on this model it is for looks only. It does not have a functioning chrono pusher locking system. The crown seems a little flimsy but is a screw down crown with decent threads as apposed to many other quartz models with a simple pull in / out function.

I am not impressed with the Japanese quartz movement. The ETA quartz is far better in it's function. There is an obvious difference in the feeling when changing time and date on the ETA as apposed to the Japanese quartz movements.

The dial is pretty neat. The dial appears to consist of 2 plates, the top plate being glossy or transparent as to display a carbon fiber look beneath. I belive the carbon fiber look is holographic like the Rolex stickers on the case back of many rolex replicas.
The markers and hands are luminous but the bezel is not.

Without further delay I present to you the photos...

blancpain_chrono_quartz021.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz032.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz037.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz019.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz035.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz025.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz023.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz028.jpg

blancpain_chrono_quartz006.jpg

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Not bad at all for the bucks. Looking at it the bezel looks like a softer plastic than acrylic. If it's the stuff I think it is it won't show scratches to badly but will gouge if you're too rough. Looks like the gen BP material tho. Hell, the early ones WERE perspex! See below. That's just a hunk of black perspex with a chunck of very powerfull lume in it. Note the "3H" symbol denoteing mill grade tritium lume. I had a mill Seiko dive auto with this grade on it. Used to light up like a torch. I should still have it somewhere but the tritium will be just about depleted. I don't think anyone is going to re lume that for me.
Bund20Review20002-1.jpg

Col.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
great pics but that gay iphone has crept in and spoilt it a bit :mrgreen:
its looker for the cash .

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I will listen to all trades for this watch. (prefer manual wind panerai that someone is getting tired of, but will entertain any other offer so long is it's not Rolex) or will flat out sell it but prefer a trade.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Could it be a prelude to the more "desirable" non chrono version? Case wise looks OK. Fingers crossed here...

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
daytona4me said:
I will listen to all trades for this watch. (prefer manual wind panerai that someone is getting tired of, but will entertain any other offer so long is it's not Rolex) or will flat out sell it but prefer a trade.
pm sent

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
pcsam said:
daytona4me said:
pm sent

Thanks... but still available.. :)

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Actually....this isn't bad at all.
Very nice lume.

I've always admired the BP Air Command as something of a ....."if you'd want a dive style watch, but then asked the FRENCH to design it, what would it look like?"
Sort of old world/new world.

Many thanks!

watchcollector

Renowned Member
23/9/10
Not bad at all for the bucks. Looking at it the bezel looks like a softer plastic than acrylic. If it's the stuff I think it is it won't show scratches to badly but will gouge if you're too rough. Looks like the gen BP material tho. Hell, the early ones WERE perspex! See below. That's just a hunk of black perspex with a chunck of very powerfull lume in it. Note the "3H" symbol denoteing mill grade tritium lume. I had a mill Seiko dive auto with this grade on it. Used to light up like a torch. I should still have it somewhere but the tritium will be just about depleted. I don't think anyone is going to re lume that for me.
Bund20Review20002-1.jpg

Col.

Hmm...tritium lume? Isn't tritium radioactive? As far as I know this could be very dangerous...