• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain Hundred Hours - Review

pallan

11/1/11
Just got this today from Sead, so I'll do a quick review of my first impressions.

First of all, the watch is beautiful. My first impression was more positive than any other rep I've received. It has a very neo-vintage look, with the military dial, lack of a bezel, slightly domed crystal, lug holes, slight lugs, and ultra slim case.

The case really does appear as slim as the gen (very!); it's one of the aspects that attracted me to this model. Combined with the curved lugs, it melts into the wrist. Perfect for a smaller wrist like mine, but with a dial that goes to the edge of the case and no bezel, it looks larger.

The crown actually DOES protrude a bit when screwed down; it's due to the shape of the crown. The inner edge of the crown tapers into a little cylinder-shape, and this part is what makes it stick out. Actually, when looking at the watch from the back, it looks like this part of the crown bumps into the crown guard, stopping it from screwing all the way flush with the case. Maybe it can be filed down by a skilled modder.

The time and date set fine, but the hand winding remains engaged when setting the date. Not sure if this is due to the crown or stem... but anyway it doesn't cause any issue.

The bracelet looks excellent and seems to be built to gen style construction, with the links attached with a multiple screw and tube system. The end links are not so flush with the case though, and the bracelet could benefit from being oiled, as it's a bit squeaky/rattly. Also the inside of the clasp mechanism has a rough finish in one section, and the clasp lacks the satisfying 'snap' of the AP 15400 (BP factory) I had. Maybe others can speak about the bracelet, as it could just be QC issues.

The crystal is slightly domed and works very well with this watch. It feels very thick and has a great layer of AR coating, making it disappear on a lot of angles.

The dial is a work of art on this, and is the highest quality aspect of the watch. It alternates between a high gloss finish (on the seconds track), then radial lines where the numerals are, then glossy again in the centre. It was hard to capture in the photos. Dial printing looks very crisp. The beveled edge of the date window is also done to a high standard. The contrast between the bright white numerals and the liquid black ink dial is truly striking, especially through the AR crystal.

Summary

Pros:

Unusual ultra-slim case (reps tend to be too thick, but this one is just right)
Stunning dial
Unmodified Miyota 9015 movement (problem-free)
Great crystal

Cons:

Bracelet/clasp not to the same standard as the rest of the watch
Crown could benefit from some modification
Noisy rotor

Differences from the gen:

The end of the second-hand (not the red tip) on the rep has a square edge (instead of pointed)
The date window seems bigger on the rep
The date wheel font
The crown (?)

Overall, highly recommended. It's really refreshing to have a fairly sporty watch in this size. Especially one this nice.

Now, on to the photos!

Z8LSrdF.jpg

DIpsysM.jpg

SZIiZZh.jpg

zDukolI.jpg

uZmRLHA.jpg

OHJ45D7.jpg

c7TcDLG.jpg

obd8qLR.jpg

A1dD5bq.jpg

AprHOiQ.jpg

6VPUo86.jpg

ckvintage

7/10/09
the more I look at it the more I fall in love.
Was thinking of getting an Ollech & Wajs M65 with similar military dial, now this turns up at the right timing (photo borrow from net)
Great review. Thanks

m65-1.jpg

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I've had the same watch from Sead for about a week and concur with your observations, its a really nice piece and is of a comparable quality to my Noob Fifty Fathoms.

Having looked at your pictures I can confirm that my crown tightens down further than yours, and sits so that the base of the thickest part of crown is lined up with the top of the CGs, there is also no gap at the back, so I suspect some careful file work would have yours sitting much snugger, if it bothers you.

My end-links also sit tighter against the case but are similar in relation to the lugs, with consistent gaps all around.

Something I do need to sort out is getting the springbars to sit equally in the lug-holes, on both one hole is "full" of springbar and the other is "empty".

I've got some very slight misalignment of lume application on my 6, but its a loupe job to see it.

My conclusion is that we probably received first batch watches, so the assembly guys were getting used to the job and there might be some slight variations as they go through their learning curve. Saying that your watch looks great even at high magnification and I'm more than pleased with mine, so lets hope the "SW" factory continue to turn out high quality reps of less obvious models...

Enjoy your watch

Not That Rich

Known Member
2/5/15
Thanks for taking the time to do the review and pictures, checking my wallet now ! :thumbup:

pallan

11/1/11
Good to know! Actually, regarding the end links that's the same with mine... they are flush with the ends of the case, but there are spaces on each side of the lugs.

I've had the same watch from Sead for about a week and concur with your observations, its a really nice piece and is of a comparable quality to my Noob Fifty Fathoms.

Having looked at your pictures I can confirm that my crown tightens down further than yours, and sits so that the base of the thickest part of crown is lined up with the top of the CGs, there is also no gap at the back, so I suspect some careful file work would have yours sitting much snugger, if it bothers you.

My end-links also sit tighter against the case but are similar in relation to the lugs, with consistent gaps all around.

Something I do need to sort out is getting the springbars to sit equally in the lug-holes, on both one hole is "full" of springbar and the other is "empty".

I've got some very slight misalignment of lume application on my 6, but its a loupe job to see it.

My conclusion is that we probably received first batch watches, so the assembly guys were getting used to the job and there might be some slight variations as they go through their learning curve. Saying that your watch looks great even at high magnification and I'm more than pleased with mine, so lets hope the "SW" factory continue to turn out high quality reps of less obvious models...

Enjoy your watch

alfawatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/9/14
Hello I received mine last week and I am happy with:
- The crystal: very good ar
- The case and general quality of the rep ... BUT:
- the Miyota in mine makes more noise than a starting fighterjet ... a dead giveaway that it's a ... rep: people hear you at 5 meters ...

and I consider myself to have small wrist, but even for me the watch is tiny ... really too small for contemporary taste in watches .... so, I have to say I actually regret having bought it.... the slightly chubby case makes it look a lot smaller than a 39mm IWC Portuguese not to mention the wrist difference with a 38 mm Aquanaut ...

pallan

11/1/11
Do you have a photo of yours? I'd like to see how much the crown protrudes on others' compared to mine.

Hello I received mine last week and I am happy with:
- The crystal: very good ar
- The case and general quality of the rep ... BUT:
- the Miyota in mine makes more noise than a starting fighterjet ... a dead giveaway that it's a ... rep: people hear you at 5 meters ...

and I consider myself to have small wrist, but even for me the watch is tiny ... really too small for contemporary taste in watches .... so, I have to say I actually regret having bought it.... the slightly chubby case makes it look a lot smaller than a 39mm IWC Portuguese not to mention the wrist difference with a 38 mm Aquanaut ...