• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - ZF - Funny Story - read and laugh

Michael961

Blue Moon
Supporter
Certified
12/9/20
TX - USA
This is a funny story and a lesson in patience and OCD management... hope you read it through the end... you'll laugh...guaranteed.

After a long search, I finally found a ZF BP FF off another forum site - the watch was on a gen strap (total $500)
and the transaction went smoothly... I bought the watch and received it without any issue...

Upon receiving the watch, I noticed it was running around -12 sec/day... Being the OCD person that I am, I took it to a local watch repair shop, one I never used before they had glowing reviews... Mind you, it was a 45 mins drive. I didn't take it to the one I use locally as he always needs few weeks and has a crappy attitude...

The new watch smith checked the watch and put it on his timegrapher... now this was not a normal timegrapher, this one didn't have a screen so to speak but a machine that scribbled lines across a piece of paper.... according to him, the watch needed a service... cost of service $95.

As i drove 45 mins and incurred around $12 in tolls, I decided to let them service the watch and I would pick it up in a week... I return in a week to pick it up and noticed that the hour hand is touching the dial and it scratched it in few places... minor minor scratches... I talked to them about it and they fixed the hand but there's nothing they can do about the dial.... the gentleman that worked on it is an older guy and i felt bad as they were super nice and friendly - still paid them $95....

On the way back home, i noticed more dirt on the dial and the watch was losing considerable time, around 15 secs each 2 minutes or so...not wanting to deal with that shop, i go straight to my watch smith - the usual one i use, good and reliable but crappy attitude...

He opens it and laughs... the movement wasn't put together well, the winding balance bridge was moving in a non consistent manner... I usually like to put ETAs in my watches so he quoted me $400 for an ETA 2836 and installation/regulation... and cleaning the watch... I agreed and told him I'll come back in two and a half week...

I go to pick it up today and he messed up the dial, put something on it to clean it and totally messed it up - see pics attached... I kept my cool as at the end of the day, It's a rep watch and on a personal level, i went through some health issues that put things into perspective so I am not going to get overly upset about the watch...

He showed me the back of the watch opened and I did see the ETA 2836 installed... we agreed that I won't pay him the $400 and won't charge him for messing up the dial. He would swap a new dial in if I can source one...

At this point, I am not sure what to do.. I have a ZF BP FF with ETA2836, gen strap and a messed up dial... I reached out to Bosshua007 to buy this kit and hope my watch smith can swap the dial out.

https://bosshua007.myshopify.com/pro...26d16ae0&_ss=r

Part of me is thinking of selling the watch, either in parts or as is... The other part of me loves BP FF and been wanting one a while and thinking of trying to find a dial and getting it fixed...

Any ideas...?

The biggest lesson for me here is to try and get over my OCD in a way... Do i cut my losses and sell it or try to fix it? Ideas are more than welcome and hope this brought you few smiles on a Friday evening (CONUS)...

Happy Friday and thank you for making it this far...

Last edited:

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
That's not OCD, mate, that's a seriously damaged dial. I would not wear the watch like that. You'll need a new dial.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Maybe he bathed the old movement with the dial still attached in the cleaning solution. Looks like the paint is already separating from the dial.
All you need is a new dial, post WTB for a ZF or Noob dial. You are guaranteed get the dial you need from folks in this forum. Wait patiently.
Buy a hand puller and just do it yourself since you don't have to worry scratching the old dial when pulling the hands.

Last edited:

Michael961

Blue Moon
Supporter
Certified
12/9/20
TX - USA
I posted a WTB for either a ZF BPFF or a ZF BPFF dial. I've also reached out to few TDs to see if I can buy the dial separately. We shall see - I'll keep you all posted.

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
I know Trusty sells watch parts, but I'm not sure if that extends to dials. Might be worth asking. The problem with Blancpain is that gen parts are insanely difficult to source.

Reactions: Michael961

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Jesus this isn't a funny story. It's a story where two utterly incompetent "watchsmiths" have butchered a once-beautiful watch. I recommend you reach out to Li at Jtime on WhatsApp. He has access to a FF which I would argue is better than ZF.

Last edited:

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
We’ll done to you for handling it so well, like you said it’s only a rep at the end of the day. I just fear for people who take their gens to these butchers.

I’d source a dial if I were you, may take a while but then you’ll have a real nice, reliable watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrooperII

Horology Curious
9/1/22
Now it looks "vintage"! While waiting for a new dial, I'd remove the old one, strip and paint it orange or something. Nothing to lose at this point. Great perspective on your part though!

Obscuranocte

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/1/22
Italy
Whoever extracted the spheres did it with a screw driver without protecting the dial with film and not using the correct tool.
look for another dial...at the end this your beater I think and has a decent movement as well.
it's a shame...but sometimes things like this happen...

Michael961

Blue Moon
Supporter
Certified
12/9/20
TX - USA
Quick update: I ordered a ZF Dial replacement (from Hont) and it's on its way - just landed in the US - I should receive it in few weeks or so. Once received, I'll send it to Kat to install it and get it all sorted. I will keep you all posted. I love the watch so I am looking forward to having it fixed - ETA movement and gen strap. Dial did cost me about $80 total - so now my total cost in is around $680 and I'll have to spend around another $100 or so to get the Dial installed. All good - it's making me look forward to the watch being completed.

Michael961

Blue Moon
Supporter
Certified
12/9/20
TX - USA
Quick update:

I sent the dial (from Hont) and the watch to an approved watch smith here on the forum - used him before multiple times without any issues. He turned it around really quickly and I got the watch back in a week.

I am starting to think that the watch is jinxed. When i received it I noticed a spot on the minute hand - i reached out to the watch smith and he said he noticed it as well and he couldn't remove it. When I look at the picture of the watch prior to sending it to him, the spot wasn't there - I can't tell if it's dirt or a scratch. The lume is amazing on it even in the area with the spot.

I will live with it - it's time to enjoy the jinxed watch lol

pamdude

Known Member
19/3/15
My OCD made myself into an amateur watch tinker :) there are plenty of videos on youtube and if you take your time with quality tools you can do it!