• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of Bell & Ross 01-92 46x46

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Hi everyone,

This is my first review of a watch (any watch). I hope this helps those who are considering
to purchase B&R rep in the future. It's been working out great for me and in this review,
I will focus on the good and the bad based on the little knowledge I have about the gen.

so... please feel free to add, correct, & comment on this. Thank you in advance!

1. The overall quality of the watch -

To me, there is nothing more important than the believableness (!?!) -
What I mean by this is that, although a rep watch could have all the correct details
(fonts, AR, letterings, markers, etc.) if it lacks in the quality department (poor finish,
dial, and construction), it won't be very believable to anyone who sees the watch that it
may well be a genuine watch.

Luckily, 01-92 is an extremely believable piece. It's solid, well-constructed & finished.
Below is my amateur attept to capture its quality (I wish I were a better photographer).

IMG_4144.jpg

The quality of the band could be better though I would say. It's quite good, but
not excellent. I will put more details on the strap later in the review.

IMG_4141.jpg

Movement is great so far. It never skipped a beat. (well I only had it for a week).

This piece has the "ETA 2892-2" so stated by Joshua. I am not sure why "SWISS" was
left out, and there seems to be another post on this subject in another discussion section.

I would say it's a good movement. It's a bit loud though. I always give the watch a shake
before I leave for work when I am not wearing it and before I go to bed. So far I manage
to keep the watch running without stopping for even a single second.

Based on my own experiment, I would say the power reserve is ok for at least 12 hours :)
I am sure it could be tested further for 42 hours (as it's supposed to be), but 12 hour reserve
is more than enough for me.

2. The details -

The good things about this piece's details are it's got most of them down.

a. Placement of all the markers are quite accurate (3,6,9,12 markers, as well as the colors).
b. black screws on the dial between 1 & 2, 4 & 6, 7 & 8, and 10 & 11.
c. Swiss Made text at 6 is quite dead on too when compared with gen pics & my screensaver :)
d. the shape and proportional size of the crown - very good. I wouldn't say perfect, but it def. good.

Now the bad things :(

a. Missing screws (1.3mm) on the back casing. Please see pic below.

IMG_4139.jpg

You'll see that (or already know that) it's just filled in.

b. Second hand decoration - the "U" shaped part (as pictured below) is too small.

REP:
IMG_4138.jpg

GEN:
img0292gw1.jpg

Luckily, in the black dial version, the lower half of the the second hand is camouflaged
(same color as the dial). So it's really hard to spot that it's even there (it was extremely hard
for me to get it to show in the picture...) But as you can see in the gen pic, it's definitely bigger!
(I know it's a pic of 01-96, but 01-92's "U" decoration is the same shape & size on all models).

C. Crown screw - it doesn't go down all the way.

Maybe it's just the specific watch I received, but I can't get the crown to screw down
all the way. Please see pic below

IMG_4143.jpg

Please notice the gap. It doesn't bother me too much, but it's a fault I would like to point out.
How is it on everyone else's? Please provide your input if you have any this watch.

D. Strap -

It's not bad, but I am very spoiled with the quality of BOB's PAM straps (man, try his Vertigo models 8) ).
Details that bother me is the fact that the buckle is a bit loose so it keeps making sound when I
shake the watch. Please see pictured.

IMG_4142.jpg

If you're not happy with the straps, they certainly can be swapped out. The watch comes with
a Hexagonal tool for the strap removal.

Below are some strap suggestions by Crumpdaddy. They look great.

Straps: http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-AGED-CALF-ST ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-SOFT-CALF-ST ... dZViewItem

E. Hands on the White Dial Model -

They're completely incorrect in terms of shape and color. Please refer to the second watch
from the left in the picture below.

BR01_92.jpg

The hands are supposed to be outlined in silver. Also, the second hand is supposed to be all
black. I am sure this will be corrected in the next version.

In conclusion - like all replica watches in the market, B&R has its flaws. However,
the good things about this outweigh the bad by far. I own 6 rep watches to date
and this one is my favorite.

It's a huge watch that gets noticed where ever you go, and I am very glad that it get all
the recognition it deserves from the audiences :) I received several compliments already
while doing some Chrismas shopping with my wife - who at first hated B&R and is now
convinced that it's a guy thing and it's cool (& a good replica).

Writing this review was a lot harder than I thought. Great reviewers like By-tor are truly talented with words. Much respect.

Thanks to Joshua @ perfect-clones for this great watch & Thanks to everyone who read this far.

Joe

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
Joe,

Excellent review. It will be of great assistance to those thinking of getting a BR01-92.

I have one, and my only comment of note is that the the crown screw on mine does seem to screw down all the way.

I found the strap to be very good for a rep strap, although I have also purchased a natural calf strap from the same dealer recomended by Crumpdaddy. This strap dealer is outstanding. I had the strap in about 3 days by international courier, and the strap is very very nice.

Thanks again Joe.

N

Panama

10/9/06
Congratulations for ya first review Joe, it`s really good and very detailed.
I`m thinking of purchasing it too...
Your pictures are better then you think. Everything you mentioned is visible for me.

Continue like this!

Cheers
Panama

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Outstanding job Joe! And good pictures too. Actually I didn't the design of B&R at first, either. But now after a
few months I'm starting to see the appeal. At least they're original and different.

PS: Thanks for the nice things you said about my reviews. Very much appreciated.

Keep up the good work... this was a pleasure to read through.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Thank you all for your kind words :)
I forgot to add my comments on the lume part.

I have a picture I took after charging for about a minute, but
I don't think it's a fair shot ^^ It just looks black. I would say
it's a bit better than normal reps.

can't wait to see Joshua's PVD 01-92 with dial markers.
This will be my next purchase... maybe the Big Bang...
whichever comes out first 8)

Joe

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
review of Bell & Ross

thank you for your efforts, Joe !! i loved reading your review...most helpful....and again....besides the flaws i could spot...you saw even more....but....for the price....i agree....great watch for guys with big wrists !!
keep up the good work....enjoyed reading it !!
Stefan

69monaro

Horology Curious
22/3/06
Good review. I think the 46mm version is too large for my wrists but I'm tempted to get a smaller version.

I know that some of our dealers sell a 39mm version...is that a fantasy size? Anyone offer a 42mm rep?

Cheers,

69 Monaro

robc_uk

25/11/06
Joe,

The 1.3 mm Hex symbols are there to tell you the strap is secured by 1.3 mm hex bolts. At lest they are on my Chrono!

Rob

robertk

16/3/06
Very nice review. I received mine from Josh a week or so ago. My wrists are on the smallish size but this fits well with no overhang. It absolutely feels bigger than the 127 (although it is not) because of it's squarish bezel. My crown also fits flush.

The standout for me is the Lume. Much better than most reps.

It hasn't lost one minute since I've had it.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
rcherry_uk said:
Joe,

The 1.3 mm Hex symbols are there to tell you the strap is secured by 1.3 mm hex bolts. At lest they are on my Chrono!

Rob

The 1.3 MM text is there to let you know that's the tool you'd need to remove the screws that attach the lugs to the case on a genuine B&R.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
crumpdaddy said:
rcherry_uk said:
Joe,

Rob

The 1.3 MM text is there to let you know that's the tool you'd need to remove the screws that attach the lugs to the case on a genuine B&R.

I agree with both of you. Rep is missing the screws(bolts), so it's just for looks :(

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
69monaro said:
Good review. I think the 46mm version is too large for my wrists but I'm tempted to get a smaller version.

I know that some of our dealers sell a 39mm version...is that a fantasy size? Anyone offer a 42mm rep?

Cheers,

69 Monaro

39mm is a fantasy version. It's also not as accurate as 46mm - more flaws (ie. no black screws on the
dial).

42mm model is called 03-92 and its reps are not currently available. Hope the dealers
make them someday though.

Joe

gambafreaks

Horology Curious
4/8/06
I´m waiting for the 42mm version, i hope it be made as soon as it is possible...

hontwatch

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/12/06
it a nice watch,but..........................

yeah,it is a nice watch,i see the factory which make it,but ithey do not sale it to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

how much will cost here?

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Re: it a nice watch,but..........................

gzwatch said:
yeah,it is a nice watch,i see the factory which make it,but ithey do not sale it to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

how much will cost here?

Why won't they sell it to you? hmm...

Check out Perfect-clones.com or trustytime.com - price is the same.

Joe

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
Joe,

Wow what an excellent first review. You come across as a seasoned veteren. Great job :wink:

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
can somebody tell me how exactly you take the watchstrap off ? Do all 4 screws need to be taken out ?
those tiny hex screws are screaming for trouble if you slip....only once !
I would be very thankful for input !!

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
horologie_unitas said:
can somebody tell me how exactly you take the watchstrap off ? Do all 4 screws need to be taken out ?
those tiny hex screws are screaming for trouble if you slip....only once !
I would be very thankful for input !!

I haven't tried it myself, but I was looking at the "Watch Annual 2007" on Bell & Ross.

Gen looks like both the side screws and the back 2 come off. However, rep doesn't have the
back screws. so I would think that it's just the side screws, using the tool that the watch comes with.

Did you get the watch ? :)

Joe

hontwatch

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/12/06
the factory said...........

the factory said ,the watches<br 46X46mm> had be contract by some buyers on the word.
so they can not sale in the guangzhou market untill now.if they can sale to me ,will be best price.
so i will wait.
i see the perfact-clones.com ,and the trust-time.com sale them,but not good price :(

i will wait for the watch.
regard

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Re: the factory said...........

gzwatch said:
the factory said ,the watches<br 46X46mm> had be contract by some buyers on the word.
so they can not sale in the guangzhou market untill now.if they can sale to me ,will be best price.
so i will wait.
i see the perfact-clones.com ,and the trust-time.com sale them,but not good price :(

i will wait for the watch.
regard

wow, you must buy these things at much cheaper cost than all of us.

I thought the price on this was great.

Joe