• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bell & Ross 03-92 Gen vs Rep Mini Review

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
Here is a mini comparison between my gen BR03-92 and the rep. I was pretty excited knowing that a BR03-92 was released some months back. However, upon comparing the pitures from the dealers and some members, it seems that the rep is not close to gen compared to some recent release like the Corum Admiral's Cup or IWC aquatimer chrono (just out). On to the pictures... I took Angus's pics for comparison...

From the front, it looks very close. PVD is also close because the gen is strictly speaking not the usual bead-blasted type of PVD we see in PAMs.
Gen
IMG_8452.jpg

Rep
BNR-BR3-27.jpg

Basically the case is too thick and I believe they have copied the BR03-94, chrono casing instead. Also notice that the groove on the side of the case is wider and recessed. The rep crown looks accurate though.
Gen
IMG_8454.jpg

REp
BNR-BR3-29.jpg

The back of the watch is also quite well done for the rep. With the exception of the placement of the screw hole for the stem release, both are similar. Again, note the pvd on the rep is very close to the gen.
Gen
IMG_8456i.jpg

Rep
BNR-BR3-28.jpg

The buckle and the rubber strap is spot on, both texture and feel. Gen is slightly more rounded on the edge of the buckle.
Gen
25112007113i.jpg

Rep
BNR-BR3-30.jpg

Lastly the lume on the gen is blue, rep is green markers / blue hands. It does not glow as brightly as C3 lume but it is very visible in the dark. This shot is taken 1/8s exposure in the day time to show how it will look indoors in a slightly darkened room.
IMG_8465.jpg

Overall, I think the rep is already quite good in the overall look and feel of the watch. PVD is also quite close on the rep. However, the case thickness is disappointing. The BR01 reps which have the same thickness as the BR03 gen, can be made but it cannot be done for the BR03. Perhaps it is the thickness of movement.. I do not know for sure. AR should be the same when I compare my rep BR01 with my gen. So the single side AR on the Rep should look the same as gen is single AR as well.

Also it is missing the distictive groove on the side of the case. Basically I think they have copied the chrono case instead. Lume is also wrong for the rep for this version. At about $180 a pop for the rep, I feel it is a little steep given that it comes with a unproven asian 4813 movement. My BR01 rep cannot manual wind now and the second hands seems to jump around when turning the crown at times. So the quest is still on for a ultimate Bell & Ross, maybe in 2008???

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
GOOD revue, thanks, original and the test between gen and rep are always interesting
good job :D
sylvain

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
rangers158 said:
R2D4 said:
May I ask the Genuine thickness?

9.6mm including bezel.

Thanks Rangers, thats a 1.4MM difference and although it's very small, I think it's not only notable but worth the mention because the thickness is the biggest signature of the 42MM series. Good post and pictures, thanks again.
R2

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
Thank you for the review.

I almost pulled the trigger, and after your review, I am taking a step back.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
Thank you for your review man...

me too almost pull the trigger..it looks almost the same..but the lume is really dissapointing..Im not sure why they dont want to do this B&R03 to the ultimate..but as usual..they will charge more then $350 ..as USUAL..

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
i dont see case thickness as that big of a deal, granted yes it is 1.4mm, which is small

the thing is, if you want this watch i doubt they will make any thing better, remember this is already a second attempt by them on this watch, the first didnt have date.

my question is, is the replica really pvd, or just painted black,
does it have pvd texture etc,

pleae post pics

crunch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/10/07
I'd be interested to know about the PVD on the rep too. I have read somewhere that it is indeed PVD'ed, but not so great quality wise.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
1.4 mm difference thickness between Bell & Ross BR03-92 gen

I have recently worn the gen and the rep of this watch, and I agree with almost all of the points made by the reviewer.

The difference in thickness of 1.4 mm is noticeable, but doesn't make the rep unwearable, because otherwise it is fairly accurate.

The "do not remove" screw is also misplaced on the back, and the side of the case groove is missing.

The matte PVD finish does approximate the carbon SS of the gen very nicely.

The supposedly 28.8k cn4813 movement does not look to be quite 28.8k.

But it's still a great watch.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Great review Thank you!

I like the rep v Gen comparo's

The pVD on the front of the gen appears superior.

There is a next generation o1-92 due out with caseback screws in place that might be a atep ahead.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
POLL:

how many peope you see know what is B & R

How many give a flook?

who we fool?

Ourself?

ok,

submit!

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Klink

No one I know knows B&R save the guy at Tourneau's trying to sell me

I give a flook, and so does that guy, up until the point that he makes his commission

We all love to fool ourselves, wholly agreed

Superreps = superdelusional?