• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My thoughts on: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo Extra Thin 15202 XF V2, From Trusty

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
Should I buy this? YES , It is a very cool REP. Just that there are alot of sharp edges, especially in the bracelet itself.

I have spent 18 hours+ hand polishing away at the sharp and scratchy edges and I am at 80% done, which is wearable to me now. It was alot of work. Although if one had a professional polishing wheel, I think it may be just 30 minutes of careful buffing at different angles and you would be on to the finishing step where you put back on the finish that was rubbed away in the smoothing process.

It is very nice. Precision made and just overall an impressive rep! Another standard everyday buying and shipping experience from TD Trusty!

Changing the date was a pain in the ass, I knew going in that you go past 12 then back before 9 and go past 12 to change the date, but I had to move it forward 15 days and my fingers got so tired.

ZEvjPQ.jpg

What really annoyed me was AP's decision to attach the clasp logo on the 12:00 side. I dont put on watches 6 then 12, I put on watches 12 then 6, like a normal human being. Fun fact, the original Royal Oak from back in the day was a fold 12 design... and So I had to switch the clasp around by flipping the entire bracelet and its all good. people may say the logo is now upside down but nobody gonna see it :)

ZEvz0L.jpg

The clasp logo was very flat and sticks up when closed, I bent it a little bit and now it fits better. the result is a non-gen like crease in the middle of the logo, I dont mind it at all, I rather have it close than to have it snag on a sweater or something.

ZEvKt8.jpg
ZEvHeR.jpg

Overall, this watch have ALOT of sharp edges all over it. Not so sharp that it will cut you, but feels scratchy and uncomfortable. I had said 18+ hours and at this time of me typing an edit, I have used alotta different things. a triangle file, 2000 grit, 3000 grit, emery board, scotch brite, jewelry rough on cotton cloth... I guess you can tell I do not like sharp scratchy watch surfaces. One bracelet link has 23 sharp edges.. no joke!

ZEvhNK.jpg
ZEvAHv.jpg

The link adjusting was a surprise, I did not know how it was done so I had to try to figure it out.

It is a screw down lid that comes off then inside is a metal bar. The metal bar is bi-level and was so tight inside that regular pushing from the other side with a paperclip did not get it out. I had to use this metal link tool to push them out and it did take a worrying amount of pressure to do it.

I believe the plastic version of this tool would have broken at this amount of pressure. Great Too! only $5 ebay, I might pick up another one!

ZEveMj.jpg

Overall, am very pleased, but AP should have designed the 39mm with a smaller *wing* span or "lug to lug width" or whatever they call it, but they left it as wide as the bigger watch for some reason, So the corner does stick out a bit on my 6.75" wrist if I push the watch a bit to the side, but not too much that its unwearable - ugly. I do think that anyone with a smaller wrist than mine would best get the 37mm version, I believe it is called a 15450

ZEv5g4.jpg

Why did I buy this REP?

I once made a decision that any steel bracelet watch I buy MUST include micro adjust and an on the fly adjustment feature. This rep had none of those. but I decided to get it anyway because this is the Royal Oak that most resembles the genta design. The ORIGINAL fake watch! :)

Last edited:

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Just a thought, but can the bracelet be removed and reinstalled the other way around?

Rehaut19

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/12/20
I have had mine for two days and it ate the cuffs of my shirts! LOL

I used a fine abrasive sponge and now it is better, but I still have to work on it.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18

I used a fine abrasive sponge and now it is better, but I still have to work on it.

Try taking the screws out to size the bracelet. I broke al of them doing it, bracket is of very poor quality.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
Try taking the screws out to size the bracelet. I broke al of them doing it, bracket is of very poor quality.

It is hard to do. but if done correctly it would be okay: to correctly do it: use a 10X loupe, and a perfect fitting screwdriver, and turn quarter turn at a time then rechecking that the screwdriver is perfectly seated in the screw slot then another quarter turn.. ANY off angle and you may ruin the screw...

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC

I spent two hours with the 2000 grit, and it still needs alot of work, sigh.. I may have to go to 1000 grit... then 2000 then 3000 then polish

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
If there’s a bracelet left at the end of all that please send a pic :hehehe:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA ! I gave up on trying to preserve the finish and scrubbed the shit out of it with a scotch brite pad.. its smoother now and most of the bracelet is brush finished, which is better for me because I dont want too much attention on NYC streets... which is why one of my favorites is the mark 18 IWC, very brushed and understated...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
HA ! I gave up on trying to preserve the finish and scrubbed the shit out of it with a scotch brite pad.. its smoother now and most of the bracelet is brush finished, which is better for me because I dont want too much attention on NYC streets... which is why one of my favorites is the mark 18 IWC, very brushed and understated...

Well there is an easier way to achieve the same effect next time. Just tape up the head with a few layers of masking tape and then leash the watch to the car and just drive for 50 miles. Then flip the watch and do another 50. :hehehe:

Rehaut19

INMATE
30/12/20
Well there is an easier way to achieve the same effect next time. Just tape up the head with a few layers of masking tape and then leash the watch to the car and just drive for 50 miles. Then flip the watch and do another 50. :hehehe:

LOL.

About the sponge that I've used? I've to prefer the car drive solution? :D

Rehaut19

INMATE
30/12/20
I was only kidding of course, easy fella lol.
What you proposed was legit, I have done that before myself too.

It’s a great day for me! LOL

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
OKAY, the way it came from the factory was unwearable It had too many sharp edges, every link and piece in between had sharp edges. It took me 8 hours of sanding, scrubbing, and polishing to get it to the point where I can wear it comfortably, here is the watch now! wooo. It was alotta work!

ZNDECY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
OKAY, the way it came from the factory was unwearable It had too many sharp edges, every link and piece in between had sharp edges. It took me 8 hours of sanding, scrubbing, and polishing to get it to the point where I can wear it comfortably, here is the watch now! wooo. It was alotta work!

ZNDECY.jpg

Gen is sharp as fuck.

Sent from the RWI App

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

ZNDECY.jpg

Gen is sharp as fuck. My 15400 is razor sharp. But if you prefer it smoother than its your choice.

Sent from the RWI App

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Gen is sharp as fuck. My 15400 is razor sharp. But if you prefer it smoother than its your choice.

Sent from the RWI App

Let me amend that a little.
Gen CAN BE very sharp. I own 4 gen royal oaks, all bought brand new except one, and 2 of them had very sharp bracelets which I had to smooth myself to make them more comfortable. But not all of them are. It can be pretty inconsistent.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
"gens are sharp AF", "some gens can be very sharp" .

I think you guys are saying that because the gens may be pretty sharp, but if I could go back in time and let you feel the rep the way it came from the factory maybe you be like OMG that is horrible, feels sooooo cheap..

This rep was so sharp that running a finger on it made dry scratching noises in any direction.. sheik sheik sheik.. like rubbing a finger lightly on a fresh sheet of 220 grit sandpaper...

since I am the only one who felt this rep I have here when it was in the original state, and no one else can feel it any longer, it is up to me to go feel a bunch of gens and compare.. will update.

Last edited: