• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Perfect AP rep 15500 / 15400 / 15202

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
Hi everyone.

First post here and a question that I couldn't find a complete answer to.
So I currently have a AP 15500 on it's way to me and the movement inside is based on Miyota 9015.
In order to adjust the time, the crown has to be unscrewed and date can be changed without advancing the time.

However, on gen, you don't have to unscrew anything (as it's not a diver) and the date can't be changed without the time. That's just one difference - I had noticed that the time adjustment direction is also wrong.
So it's these differences that make me wonder if there is a perfect rep for 15500, 15400 or 15202. Has any factory managed to make something that close to gen?

On the Rolex side it's much easier to find this answer.

EDIT: I don't have access to gen in order to compare and there's not a whole lot of videos online showing this process on the gen. Sometimes it is also hard to see in which direction is time being adjusted etc. etc.

Last edited:

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
The Gen 15500 does have a screw down crown and also a quickset date function like the Rep. The Gen you are comparing to is the 15202. Which doesn't have a screw down crown and also the cal 2121 doesn't have quickset date wheel.

I am not sure about the time setting direction on the gen 15202 and 15500 and the Rep 15500.

Anyways No Rep can be Perfect or Exactly like Gen.

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
Thanks for the reply. I saw a "how to set your time and date" video for 15400 (I think it was) and that one had no date set. But you could be right and that could've been a 15202.

Anyways No Rep can be Perfect or Exactly like Gen.
Very true! But at least on the Rolex side they got quite close to it with SA4130, VR3135 etc.

But OK if we focus on the jumbo, is there a rep that behaves in identical way when manipulating the movement?

Or 15400 - is there anything that is gen-like?

Last edited:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Thanks for the reply. I saw a "how to set your time and date" video for 15400 (I think it was) and that one had no date set. But you could be right and that could've been a 15202.

Very true! But at least on the Rolex side they got quite close to it with SA4130, VR3135 etc.

But OK if we focus on the jumbo, is there a rep that behaves in identical way when manipulating the movement?

Or 15400 - is there anything that is gen-like?

Gen 15400 has a screw down crown and quickset date

Reactions: andy_fin

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi everyone.

However, on gen, you don't have to unscrew anything (as it's not a diver) and the date can't be changed without the time

EDIT: I don't have access to gen in order to compare and there's not a whole lot of videos online showing this process on the gen. Sometimes it is also hard to see in which direction is time being adjusted etc. etc.

Well you got a couple of things wrong.

1. The gen 15500 and 15400 both have screw down crowns. Your statement was erroneous.
2. There is no such thing as a "perfect rep". Flip the rep royal oak over and the Miyota 9015 will remind you everytime of that fact. Other flaws exist of course.
3. Don't worry about the date change direction actually. The rep date changes gradually, vs the instant crisp date change in the gen. If this does not bother you, the date direction should not either.
4. Lastly, the rep is a $500 watch. Enjoy it as a $500 watch and you will get a lot of novelty value out of it. Don't pretend that it is an AP or a gen and you will have no problems actually.

Reactions: Allure

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
Thanks for chiming in legend . I'm with you on this as in - I know there will be plenty of these details that will differ. I ask all these things not to pretend but rather to learn everything there is to learn about these timepieces. To know every detail there is now that I've discovered this community and hobby. I wonder how far did this get and what details are there that you can spot to differentiate from gen with naked eye.
I hope my enthusiasm isn't sending the wrong message. I just wanna know how far does the rabbit hole go (I hope this is the right saying) :)

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
Now going back and reading my post, I sound like AP employee. Anyhow, I don't have friends in high places that could call me out. But the rep scene is amazing me every day as I do further research. The precision, materials etc. it's so good nowadays! I have a feeling that in 2-3 years we'll have even better reps. All thanks for QC and communities like this one.
But still, legend thanks for satisfying my curiosity and excuse my lack of knowledge on gens. Username checks out :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Now going back and reading my post, I sound like AP employee. Anyhow, I don't have friends in high places that could call me out. But the rep scene is amazing me every day as I do further research. The precision, materials etc. it's so good nowadays! I have a feeling that in 2-3 years we'll have even better reps. All thanks for QC and communities like this one.
But still, legend thanks for satisfying my curiosity and excuse my lack of knowledge on gens. Username checks out :)

We do have better reps now, compared with even 2 years back sir. I doubt 99.9% of the population can call out a ZF15500 on the wrist in real life at all (if they even know what it is). That is what I call a convincing rep. Don't worry about direction of date change and all that and enjoy the watch, the pros of wearing it will far outweigh the cons of it. :qtip2:

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
I noticed that the past 2 years have been more significant than the past 10 somehow. Especially with movements on the RL side. Mind blown :)
When I get mine, I'll enjoy the heck out of it as I will all the other reps I am going to get :D

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I noticed that the past 2 years have been more significant than the past 10 somehow. Especially with movements on the RL side. Mind blown :)
When I get mine, I'll enjoy the heck out of it as I will all the other reps I am going to get :D

That is the way to go!
It is not that the points you mentioned about date change directions and all are invalid, we all have our quirks and curiosities.
But lets face it, it is a good thing if we are not worrying about the major visible features like dial, hands, case and bracelet and scrutinizing the relatively obscure details instead.
It shows how far the hobby has come, and its something we should collectively appreciate rather than nitpick upon.
ZF in particular has done a superlative job producing the reps they did. Yes they are not 1:1, but lets not forget that the prices of these rep watches are also very far from being 1:1 too.

Reactions: Allure and andy_fin