• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen AP Steel color , is it really lighter?

Amaiel

Certified
27/4/16
the color of the RO gen steel appears much lighter than the Reps, especially in the 15xxx. It's an optical effect? Or a surface treatment? Does anyone have any technical information about it? Thanks in advance

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
Yes it is. Gen AP steel is definitely lighter in color and its not just the brushing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
the color of the RO gen steel appears much lighter than the Reps, especially in the 15xxx. It's an optical effect? Or a surface treatment? Does anyone have any technical information about it? Thanks in advance

Being an owner of 4 gen royal oaks, I can tell you that there is no meaningful difference. Any perceivable difference between the new generation reps and the gens, will be due to age and natural seasoning or ageing of the metals. If you compare a brand new rep to a used gen, the rep metal will appear lighter. The reverse is also true. Differences will be due to the age and condition of the metal rather than the authenticity of the watch.

There is nothing magical about gen AP metal or finish. The rep can be finished to be like the gen. Do the side by side comparison and don’t ever rely on pics off the internet or hearsay.

For illustration:

One of it is gen and the other is rep. Which is which?
1269546c73c656a383e3e1cfb00baf1b.jpg

If you need a second opinion I’ll suggest you get QueTip ‘s comment. That guy knows his APs like no other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
If you need a second opinion I’ll suggest you get QueTip ‘s comment. That guy knows his APs like no other.
As always the man is perfectly right. Finish as previously mentioned is different but that's nothing that can't be done to a rep bracelet either. Any other differences can be made down to many factors. Age, wear etc. Of course brand new blistered parts will always look different to anything that already caught air, dirt and wear.

Reactions: legend

Amaiel

Certified
27/4/16
thank you all of you guys, really appreciated.

Pam007k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/8/20
I have just seen a gen AP Royal Oak from a collegue and the steel really looks lighter than the steel of the reps.

Pam007k

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/8/20
Are there degrees in quality when working with stainless steel?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I have just seen a gen AP Royal Oak from a collegue and the steel really looks lighter than the steel of the reps.

You've had your answer above, it has nothing to do with rep or gen.

If you don't believe it, take a look at my 15400 rep Vs gen review here somewhere and you'll see next to each other they are just the same

MR.WATCHES

18/6/19
I have a Gen RO and Gen ROO. There’s no perceivable difference in the metal. Like others have said a lot comes down to the lighting of the photo so unless they’re side by side in the same lighting conditions you really can’t reasonably compare.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It’s good to see fellow gen owners Ben_Stokes Tobel MR.WATCHES chime in and confirm this basic fact you can see clearly in person. If you compare a spanking new rep VS a used gen (say a few months of regular wearing), the rep steel will look lighter.
It’s a matter of science, not authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: QueTip