• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

**** V5 - What AP are you wearing today??? ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And this is why I hate Legend and love him at the same time. :rollingonthefloor::wink:

Lol, Stane don't get me wrong. The 26237ST has unique characteristics which make it difficult to franken well. The datewheel font is unique, the dial color is different from the 25721 (though largely similar), the AP logo is different from the 25721, and the tachy has been updated. The caseback serial number and engraving are also unique. So when someone posts a "26237 franken", it is often a mash up of the 25721 (which again uses the old style font from the cal. 2126 or 2226) and not the modern date font used in ROO frankens.

I enjoy looking at ROO frankens builds, but the 26237ST is special for me, and I know how it should look, and how it definitely should not. It is the quintessential stainless steel AP, and if such a build is to be frankened, then attention should at least be given to the details to ensure that it is built right. For a panda and safari, the builds are generally more forgiving, but when one attempts to build the beast, then attention needs to be given to the history and details of this particular model. Else, it is no different from a stock JF release in that most "beast" frankens look completely off too once you know how the gen is like. I have nothing against frankens, but I am against ignorance of how the gen should look like when building the franken of an iconic model. Pointing out the shortfalls is an education, not an insult.
Anyone seeking to build a franken should learn to build a proper one. I could not during my stint as a franken collector (I owned 12 of them together during the peak of the collection) and I therefore know what I speak of. Stock reps, modded reps, frankens of varying build qualities, gens, I have owned them all and the only other guy I know here who has that extensive experience currently is QueTip

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Great shot!
Your photography skills is top notch :sFun_mischieviousbi

49721146068_4b34db54ed_o.jpg

Reactions: ksbreitling

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
THX legend for all your information and wonderful pictures. learning every day from you and the forum.

Thank you Stane. You owned the gen beast yourself, so you definitely already know what I spoke of.

Egos and narrow thinking often hinder learning. If some guy spends $3000 or $5000 or whatever building or buying a franken, and then posts it here, he is often expecting nothing but praises and comments stating how perfect it is, and words of congratulations. But the guys who do so, often has idea on how the gen should look. I often see it the other way:When you spend that amount on a build, then it is a relatively shorter journey to take to get the watch to look even better. Empty praises do nothing for the owner except massage the ego, and there will be guys like me in real life who can one day call out the build as a rep because of reasons 1-10. So I feel that it is better for guys to learn about these tells on the forum from faceless strangers than be embarrassed in person. If guys here create threads to point out the flaws of factory releases, then why should the frankens be any different? Just because it cost $5000? It is just a matter of money spent to please oneself, it does not buy perfection nor the worship of the world on a lousy build. If one cannot accept criticisms (or factual statements) on their watches, then said watches should be enjoyed privately and not shown off to the world with fancy captions and illusions of grandeur.

I recognize this as a rep watch hobby. But when owners franken their watches with gen parts "to look closer to the gen", there is a definitive benchmark for comparison: the gen. Owners can learn much more from one "the build is off post" with details stated, than 100 "nice watch" posts. I know my APs, and also I know what isn't an AP. I cannot unsee the hideousness of many of the builds like I could not unsee them in my own frankens in the past. If I point them out, owners have choices on what to do next. Often, it is the guys who wants the people in their real-life world to believe that their frankens are gens who get offended when told otherwise.

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
I am following this thread for your photography skills, lovely Mate!! For us peasants, how do you take these pics :confused:
Is this iphone portrait mode?

I really appreciate the kind words! All of my high res photos are taken with a mid level Nikon DSLR, nothing fancy. I just learned to utilize the camera settings and take advantage of whatever natural light I have. Very minimal post processing as well, most of the time I just darken the background and remove any noticeable dust on the watch.

I post a lot of my photos on the link below or the weekly eye candy thread :D.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/eyecandy-wristshots/8037257-no-wristies-thread

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I really appreciate the kind words! All of my high res photos are taken with a mid level Nikon DSLR, nothing fancy. I just learned to utilize the camera settings and take advantage of whatever natural light I have. Very minimal post processing as well, most of the time I just darken the background and remove any noticeable dust on the watch.

I post a lot of my photos on the link below or the weekly eye candy thread :D.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/eyecandy-wristshots/8037257-no-wristies-thread

I will follow the eye candy theread just to enjoy your pics, some great pics you have there :notworthy:

Reactions: Revolper
Status
Not open for further replies.