• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling JF 15400 RG owners

Kmmas

7/4/15
hey guys,

im thinking of buying a JF 15400 V5 rose gold on strap. My only concern s the durability of the rose gold plating on this particular model. How long will it last before it starts to change its rose gold shade or becomes uneven at different parts of the watch? For those of you who own it, how long has it been since you owned it, and plz share the status of the Rose gold plating. Do you recommend or should one just stick to steel. Also plz share a picture of your watch if possible. Thanks

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Plated last week

0055e15d55bf1d661849c70315e3eb69.jpg
2f2a7cc69d11d55f5d2072ce0edb9f13.jpg
720fb6a2a5898f4825e4f62487ef3ca9.jpg
c40a5a2a58d841e89a37f4f106faaaad.jpg
e86b73b4cd497b96edb717cdd72a5ff7.jpg
0e4ec396f0c44553ad3d55d9f863be56.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: dullidulli

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
I only wear mine occasionally but the plating is fairly thick. Go with what you like, worse case it only lasts a couple of years and you buy a new one.
20191010-091308.jpg

Reactions: Kmmas

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
How much did you spend on re-plating it? Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plated it for a Customer.

I work with Domi together.

Real Gold Plating for Yellow Gold, Rosegold, white Gold, Platinum.....

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
hey guys,

im thinking of buying a JF 15400 V5 rose gold on strap. My only concern s the durability of the rose gold plating on this particular model. How long will it last before it starts to change its rose gold shade or becomes uneven at different parts of the watch? For those of you who own it, how long has it been since you owned it, and plz share the status of the Rose gold plating. Do you recommend or should one just stick to steel. Also plz share a picture of your watch if possible. Thanks

Remember the golden (no pun intended) rule of plated watches: As long as it is plated, the color/plating will not last forever. There is no magical "100 micron thickness which will last 50 years" formula currently, so it is a matter of how corrosive your environment or sweat is, and other factors include sunlight, friction, abrasiveness and heat as well. For example, you can expect the plating on the crown to wear more than the plating on the midcase. Eventually, any plating will fade, but if well-taken care of, it can last you a good many years. I think I speak for the trend here when I say that plating typically lasts more than the ownership period of the specific plated rep watch.
If you want a keeper, stick with stainless steel. Remember that plated reps are largely visual novelties, and does not increase the value of the watch one bit, unlike gen precious metal pieces. They also lack the weight and heft gold watches should have, and you will always have a pseudo-precious looking watch on your wrist. This is my opinion, and you should make your own decision. If you like gold-looking watches, by all means go ahead, it is a free world! Just be aware of the downside, and also exercise more caution when wearing/storing them.

Kmmas

7/4/15
Remember the golden (no pun intended) rule of plated watches: As long as it is plated, the color/plating will not last forever. There is no magical "100 micron thickness which will last 50 years" formula currently, so it is a matter of how corrosive your environment or sweat is, and other factors include sunlight, friction, abrasiveness and heat as well. For example, you can expect the plating on the crown to wear more than the plating on the midcase. Eventually, any plating will fade, but if well-taken care of, it can last you a good many years. I think I speak for the trend here when I say that plating typically lasts more than the ownership period of the specific plated rep watch.
If you want a keeper, stick with stainless steel. Remember that plated reps are largely visual novelties, and does not increase the value of the watch one bit, unlike gen precious metal pieces. They also lack the weight and heft gold watches should have, and you will always have a pseudo-precious looking watch on your wrist. This is my opinion, and you should make your own decision. If you like gold-looking watches, by all means go ahead, it is a free world! Just be aware of the downside, and also exercise more caution when wearing/storing them.

Thanks !!

fishysquishy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
glad this topic was started as I bought a rg jf for the wifey and after a couple of months the bracelet started to turn a darker color, almost bronze like in some lights.. im trying to figure out if it tarnished and can be removed somehow or did the plating fade and is irreversible without re-plating. The strange thing is the watch case seems to be fine while the bracelet seems to be the main issue.. any thoughts on what is going on and if it can be resolved easily? Thanks in advance!

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
I plated it for a Customer.

I work with Domi together.

Real Gold Plating for Yellow Gold, Rosegold, white Gold, Platinum.....

taking new customers?

i have a BP YG DAYDATE that could use some replating.

im in USA.

Could you tell me more about your process and price.

Kmmas

7/4/15
I only wear mine occasionally but the plating is fairly thick. Go with what you like, worse case it only lasts a couple of years and you buy a new one.
20191010-091308.jpg

love your strap. Can you tell me where you got it from?

Kmmas

7/4/15
It was a rubber b strap

nice to know a rubber b strap fits on the JF rep. Will definitely be going for it.

how has your experience been with the gold JF rep on strap. Do you still have it? Has the gold plating lasted this long or did u have to replace it?