• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15500 41mm

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
I am laughing every time I read that someone is expecting a 400$ rep to be as close as possible to a GEN watch that costs 40 times more. I have a GEN 15400 and a JF V5 that I use as a daily watch and no one ever notices the fact that I changed from a GEN to a REP. No one.
I bet eveyone from 3 feet distance to spot a fake JF worn on a wrist. T

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I am laughing every time I read that someone is expecting a 400$ rep to be as close as possible to a GEN watch that costs 40 times more. I have a GEN 15400 and a JF V5 that I use as a daily watch and no one ever notices the fact that I changed from a GEN to a REP. No one.

Lets see your Gen next to your Jf, a few members also have them. Pics always welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: csthe

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Well your message has mixed expressions. So are you saying the JF is close to the gen, or are you saying that it’s unrealistic to expect otherwise? And at 3 ft, it’s certainly very possible for me (and many members here) to spot a rep 15400 on the wrist. I’ve done so from longer distances multiple times before and guys like MasterWatch and QueTip are both more proficient than me in this spotting game lol.

Sorry I don’t quite get what you’re saying.

Reactions: Allure and ffuhcu

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
Well your message has mixed expressions. So are you saying the JF is close to the gen, or are you saying that it’s unrealistic to expect otherwise? And at 3 ft, it’s certainly very possible for me (and many members here) to spot a rep 15400 on the wrist. I’ve done so from longer distances multiple times before and guys like MasterWatch and QueTip are both more proficient than me in this spotting game lol.

Sorry I don’t quite get what you’re saying.

You are one of those 1 percent that can do it. Ok, but what's the point? a REP will still remain a REP even if it's flawless. I really don't see the point on focusing so much loosing your heads in details comparing it to the GEN. It will never be a gen, because it is simply not possible that a 400$ watch may have the same built quality of a 20K $ one.
I mean, people buy these watches because they like them, I can't really see why we should argue if the case is 1 mm thicker that the original one or if the bezel is not very precise shaped.
Imho, those reps are have a very good image for the money you pay. You can always try to find the better one, franken it to perfection, but what's is point? It will always be a rep.
Even if you will find the best painter on earth with the best skills able to copy to perfection a Picasso for you, it will still be a copycat.
I did want to offend anyone on here, I was just trying to point out what other members already said on this forum, that these watches are always 400$ chineese watches but I say, good value for the money paid.
If someone wants perfection then he should buy GEN, otherwise the REP offers really a good copy of what we all like. Hope that I could explain me better with my poor english.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You are one of those 1 percent that can do it. Ok, but what's the point? a REP will still remain a REP even if it's flawless. I really don't see the point on focusing so much loosing your heads in details comparing it to the GEN. It will never be a gen, because it is simply not possible that a 400$ watch may have the same built quality of a 20K $ one.
I mean, people buy these watches because they like them, I can't really see why we should argue if the case is 1 mm thicker that the original one or if the bezel is not very precise shaped.
Imho, those reps are have a very good image for the money you pay. You can always try to find the better one, franken it to perfection, but what's is point? It will always be a rep.
Even if you will find the best painter on earth with the best skills able to copy to perfection a Picasso for you, it will still be a copycat.
I did want to offend anyone on here, I was just trying to point out what other members already said on this forum, that these watches are always 400$ chineese watches but I say, good value for the money paid.
If someone wants perfection then he should buy GEN, otherwise the REP offers really a good copy of what we all like. Hope that I could explain me better with my poor english.

Your English is fine, thank you for taking the time and effort to explain.

Yes in principle, I agree totally with what you said, that a gen will be a gen and a rep will always be a rep even if it has 1:1 thickness or the right color or whatever. Makes complete sense.
Like you, I am a gen AP owner myself, and I understand and dwell in both worlds, and enjoy them in different ways.

There is a garden variety of reasons why guys choose to indulge in replicas, and the different ways they enjoy their reps. A salient part of the hobby, is undertaking modifications to make their watches closer to the appearance of the genuine, even if the watch will still be a replica. I have not come across a single member who thinks that by thinning the watch, or polishing this or changing that to a genuine part, that their watch has magically evolved into a genuine one. Not one at all.

The process of modding their watches make them happy, and makes them feel better about looking at or wearing their watch. This is what the extended part of the hobby is about aristole . Nobody is pretending that they are genuine, but this hobby is ultimately about owner satisfaction from wearing a replica watch his own way. Some like it stock, some like it modded, some like it franken, and some will not settle for anything less than gen. But here we convene and we share our ideas, our resources, and our preference. We compliment and we bash, we agree and we disagree.
We have many gen owners among us, and we have the wealthy folk mingling with the regular ones in here. Nobody gives a damn about bank accounts, wealth, properties or the such here. Largely irrelevant in the context of the hobby. But we congregate based on contributions by members based on their post quality, their resources, their knowledge and experiences. So, if you have a gen watch, it isn't about your wealth or spending power, but guys here will primarily be interested in whether you can share your knowledge on the your experience, your perceived differences between it and the rep, and of course, pictures. All for the sake of sharing and learning.

Sorry for the verbose post, but what I want to say is that I agree with you that rep will never be gen. Heck, even a franken with 99% gen parts will never be gen. But this is RWI and while here, we do what RWIers do and we try to contribute in our own capacity as much as we can. Yes I think that we are the collective 1-2% who can spot a rep 15400 in the wild, and the knowledge can be put to good use to help owners build watches which they can derive more pleasure from owning. It is therefore, a meaningful skill where the hobby is concerned if owner satisfaction is the ultimate goal of each member here.

Last edited:

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
Your English is fine, thank you for taking the time and effort to explain.

Yes in principle, I agree totally with what you said, that a gen will be a gen and a rep will always be a rep even if it has 1:1 thickness or the right color or whatever. Makes complete sense.
Like you, I am a gen AP owner myself, and I understand and dwell in both worlds, and enjoy them in different ways.

There is a garden variety of reasons why guys choose to indulge in replicas, and the different ways they enjoy their reps. A salient part of the hobby, is undertaking modifications to make their watches closer to the appearance of the genuine, even if the watch will still be a replica. I have not come across a single member who thinks that by thinning the watch, or polishing this or changing that to a genuine part, that their watch has magically evolved into a genuine one. Not one at all.

The process of modding their watches make them happy, and makes them feel better about looking at or wearing their watch. This is what the extended part of the hobby is about aristole . Nobody is pretending that they are genuine, but this hobby is ultimately about owner satisfaction from wearing a replica watch his own way. Some like it stock, some like it modded, some like it franken, and some will not settle for anything less than gen. But here we convene and we share our ideas, our resources, and our preference. We compliment and we bash, we agree and we disagree.
We have many gen owners among us, and we have the wealthy folk mingling with the regular ones in here. Nobody gives a damn about bank accounts, wealth, properties or the such here. Largely irrelevant in the context of the hobby. But we congregate based on contributions by members based on their post quality, their resources, their knowledge and experiences. So, if you have a gen watch, it isn't about your wealth or spending power, but guys here will primarily be interested in whether you can share your knowledge on the your experience, your perceived differences between it and the rep, and of course, pictures. All for the sake of sharing and learning.

Sorry for the verbose post, but what I want to say is that I agree with you that rep will never be gen. Heck, even a franken with 99% gen parts will never be gen. But this is RWI and while here, we do what RWIers do and we try to contribute in our own capacity as much as we can. Yes I think that we are the collective 1-2% who can spot a rep 15400 in the wild, and the knowledge can be put to good use to help owners build watches which they can derive more pleasure from owning. It is therefore, a meaningful skill where the hobby is concerned if owner satisfaction is the ultimate goal of each member here.

fully agree :)

Reactions: Rolemars

richard_skinner

Horology Curious
26/7/12
so i double checked 'Something new from JF after the chinese new year
1f609.png
;)

JF AP15500

So not sure of the timing but confirmed JF

Reactions: ffuhcu