• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best AP

tecbarrera

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/17
Sydney, Australia
I've got a JF AP 15450. Latest version. IMHO it's pretty flawless. I've heard their 15400 is basically a super clone.

889529b6f9b460e399ed2f3927817bd3.jpg
eec20b51b9a338d6d1dfaf8d8cd70022.jpg
1f6d9417e433d4d9d45045605ae284d4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tedit and Gaff

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I've got a JF AP 15450. Latest version. IMHO it's pretty flawless. I've heard their 15400 is basically a super clone.

889529b6f9b460e399ed2f3927817bd3.jpg
eec20b51b9a338d6d1dfaf8d8cd70022.jpg
1f6d9417e433d4d9d45045605ae284d4.jpg

Both the JF 15450 and 15400 are not flawless. Far from it. But they are considered good reps of the gen counterparts. I do like the blue on your 15450. The color looks spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaff

Horology Curious
9/12/18
UK
First of all.. Merry Christmas everyone.. and secondly I'd like to apologise for this thread. I'm sorry everyone. I just didn't know how this works. I'm truly a noob. But I honestly have to say you're a great bunch of people. You still gave me a ton of information. Virpag and tecbarrera, love your timepieces and Legend, you're a... Legend..????.. Thank you everyone.. I will keep you all updated.. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Reactions: legend

MrOptional

8/10/18
Gaff
Thank you! When you familiarize yourself with the watch and with the process, we will be looking for your threads/comments. Great to have new members join the forum!

Also, one recommendation, if you have something you want to ask about any watch, I recommend searching the forum, and using existing thread, and if your question is relevant, post your question there instead of creating new threads.

For example, I have like 180-200 posts, and I only created like 5 threads at most.

Welcome to the forum!

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
AP Diver from XF factory (correct crown height with 2836-2 movement (it seems) + closed caseback = my OCD relieved!)

But it needs a lowbeat mod, if possible

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
AP Diver from XF factory (correct crown height with 2836-2 movement (it seems) + closed caseback = my OCD relieved!)

But it needs a lowbeat mod, if possible
how about XF with 2846. is it correct crown height?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Akonoypi

Known Member
13/12/18
Whoah! A SUB next to an AP. Waiting on my 1st SUB rep. This AP is looking nice. I got start saving for that next one. Thanks techbarrera

tedit

Supporter
12/3/18
Happy New Year everyone :)
Anyone knows whats the size of the 15450 bracelet?
I got the AP15450 with leather band but I want to buy a rubber one.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Happy New Year everyone :)
Anyone knows whats the size of the 15450 bracelet?
I got the AP15450 with leather band but I want to buy a rubber one.

unfortunately there is no rep rubber strap for 15400/15450 available... some members mounted gen plots with gen straps on their JF reps - but that is pricey hehe

or you can go the custom Rubber B route - they made a rubber strap for the 15400 - not sure if there is any for the smaller 15450...

Reactions: tedit and legend

nightghost

Horology Curious
16/7/16
currently JF makes the best AP , If you are going for the Miyota movement make sure to oil that rotor . its tool loud ! .

ssb333

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/14
I am off to Bangkok in Feb and want to buy an AP Royal Oak JF V4. So, I wanted to ask what price do you think I should counter with when haggling with someone in MBK?

I bought a Rolex Submariner, a Tag and a sweet Panerai from there before in 2014 and 2015 with great success and although I read on this thread that MBK is not the same anymore--I would still like to try and purchase one in person.

Thank you for your help.

MrOptional

8/10/18
I don't know about purchasing in person, but I would recommend to use one of the TDs here for many reasons. You got their reviews which you can read thru, you have the support of the forum if anything goes wrong. You have an opportunity to explore quality control pics, probably the price is better. And one is going to try to fool you here either. I think buying thru this forum is better than trying to negotiate on the street with random people if you ask me... obviously unless you are buying from your own trusted seller.

P.S. to answer your question directly, visit sites like pure time or intime or chazing time and check their prices there to know how much your watch should cost. exact website addresses can be found on the first page of the forum, then trusted rep dealers, then just pick one of the three i mentioned above and once you in their thread they usually mention websites.

example : https://puretime.io

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
JF v4 is the best OOTB. Bracelet is very smooth and tight to the wrist.

I would only for the SS as this colour is closest to gen.

There are tons of other tells for any rep Royal Oak, and having the correct case material or bracelet (which by the way is way OFF vs gen) does not make it the best rep OOTB.
Spend some time reading about the much more meaningful tells and features like dial and hands. If you had spent time reading, you will know that the bracelet (it may fit your wrist well by chance), has way too much stiffness, and wrong endlink size, in addition to a different finish vs gen. I own the gen 15400 and stock bracelet is nothing like the gen (but can be modded to feel and fit much better like the gen).
So spend some time reading, and don't mislead the rest if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Allure

swnupe11

Horology Curious
19/12/18
AP is behind Rolex, however JF is a super rep. Dial, hands, date wheel font all look great! People don’t wear AP in everyday life to notice the .1% that makes it a rep. Lol.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
AP is behind Rolex, however JF is a super rep. Dial, hands, date wheel font all look great! People don’t wear AP in everyday life to notice the .1% that makes it a rep. Lol.

to answer your post i can only quote legend above your post...

legend: There are tons of other tells for any rep Royal Oak, and having the correct case material or bracelet (which by the way is way OFF vs gen) does not make it the best rep OOTB.
Spend some time reading about the much more meaningful tells and features like dial and hands. If you had spent time reading, you will know that the bracelet (it may fit your wrist well by chance), has way too much stiffness, and wrong endlink size, in addition to a different finish vs gen. I own the gen 15400 and stock bracelet is nothing like the gen (but can be modded to feel and fit much better like the gen).
So spend some time reading, and don't mislead the rest if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I agree with you that AP reps are behind Rolex reps in terms of accuracy of details. That cannot be helped, given how intricate the gen AP details are. I also agree that most people will not know whether it is a gen or rep in real life.

You are entitled to call the JF rep anything you wish, in the spectrum of super rep to garbage, you can take your pick as it is pretty subjective. But going by the below flaws:

1. Dial: printing isn't perfect, tapisseries are not perfectly replicated either. Markers are not finished as per gen. Close, yes, but no cigar.
2. Hands are definitely off in terms of center pinion, and quality of shine. No contest there
3. Movement is a Miyota 9015. Gen uses an AP 3120 caliber. The two are definitely leagues apart in terms of finish, decoration, complexity and exquisiteness. One look through the caseback of the rep and you can spot the relatively poor finish, the wrong position of the balance wheel and the utterly fake looking "jewels", as well as differences between the rep and gen movements. But yes, it is possible that both movement types can keep time equally well if maintained properly. The Miyota 9015 movement is a reliable movement in terms of timekeeping and has decent power reserve too.
4. Case thickness is a giveaway, in a side by side comparison. On the wrist, not so noticeable unless you study the case profile.
5. Bracelet is too stiff, and like what Tigerdragon pointed out, the size of the end links is wrong. Bracelet edges have improved in terms of softness and have become more acceptable versus the previous versions.
6. Case finish is very close to, or identical with gen. I cannot quite tell them apart in a side by side combination.
7. Date font is close for the latest iteration of the JF rep, but differences still exist. Not 100%.
8. Crystal is as good as gen, or has imperceptible differences.

In view of the above, I will definitely consider it a good rep and nothing more. Going by your theory that very few people will call it out in real life, why not call it a gen then? But in RWI forum terms, the JF 15400 rep is definitely still a few leagues away from being anointed with super rep status, where the concerns of the community go. You are well within your right to consider it any level of rep you wish. I agree with you that in real life, nobody will know or care. But we are in this forum precisely to KNOW, and you need to balance the knowledge of the flaws, with the contention as a owner. I will say that you do this well and possess the right attitude in wearing your rep in real life. As long as you are happy with it, honestly what the world thinks should not matter.