• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to hand polish your crystal to remove the blue tint (XF V2)

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
As many of you may know, there is a known problem with the XF crystal, the x2 AR with a blue thit on it that you can see from a certain angle.

My story: I got a prof ARx2 crystal and found it has a blue tint like the XF stock crystal, which I don't like. x2AR is more pleasing to the eyes but not genlike as the gen has only one side of AR on it.
Yesterday I got an unexpected desk dive which left the crystal AR with a small ding on the edge. I can't stand it so I bought some sandpapers to hand polish it.

To remove the crystal AR, you will need: sandpapers #3000, #5000, and #7000. Get the three of them at once for $5. Get some soft napkins and some water as well before you start.

For FC and ceramic divers, there is no need to dissect the whole watch as the bezel has a very high surface hardness and the sandpapers we bought are of finer texture.

Use the #7000 first. Put your watch upside down on it with the crystal touching the sandpaper, and move fast up and down. After 30 seconds, you can see a lot of small scratches on the AR and then the blue hue starting to fade.

After one minute of friction, the whole crystal has no blue tint at all, and you now have an unfinished crystal. You can see there is a circle of remains with blue tint of the AR on edge of the crystal.

Next, cut the #3000 sandpaper into small pieces that you can hold firmly with your two fingers. Use one small piece of #3000 to treat one small area of the remains. Move your fingers fast repeatedly.

Then, move to next area. Remember to do this one area by one area in straight line and don't move your fingers in circles. Apply water and remove the remains with water after you finish each area.

Finish all the areas, and then use #5000 to refine the result.

then use #7000 to refine at the end. There is now without a trace of blue on the crystal while there is full AR inside (Genlike 1xAR). The end result I achieved has been perfect and it is quite simple and straightforward.

I will post pictures if you guys are interested. I can't use picr.me somehow.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
The design intent of gen APs with the cyclop being 2xARed and crystal being 1xARed is that the AR coating has an surface hardness of 6-7 which means that it is easy to get scratched. Application on the inner side is good, but on the outer side is risky.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I find myself really good at polishing stuff. Maybe someday I may become a part-time modder for fun:)

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Speaking of polishing, I had no luck finding tips on polishing the forged carbon case on AP diver, any info on this? Waiting for pics sounds like you did a fine job.

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Speaking of polishing, I had no luck finding tips on polishing the forged carbon case on AP diver, any info on this? Waiting for pics sounds like you did a fine job.

I am not sure why you want to polish the case. In my eyes the stock XF caseset is better than that of JF.
If you really want to do this, then start with a full dissection, and then roughly polish the case with #300, and then #1500, and then #3000. It can be better if you have a small polishing machine to do the final refining with wool or some fine material. Using #5000 or #7000 to refine the case would take years to see the result.

The other approach would be to touch the watch case every day, for your hand has a texture like that of sandpaper #5000-#7000. If you keep touching the case for, say 5 years, it may look better refined than polishing with sandpapers. Anyway, I suggest that you leave the caseset alone.

The case (carbon part) can get old after a period of use and you can see some edges at the backside get uneven. Use #3000+ to polish the edges would make them even.

The front side is unaffected by againg and can remain the way it is for a very long time as the material is designed for lasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: macarone

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Thanks don’t want to mess it up, understanding all are different just wanted to accent it.

T&E

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/18
As many of you may know, there is a known problem with the XF crystal, the x2 AR with a blue thit on it that you can see from a certain angle.

My story: I got a prof ARx2 crystal and found it has a blue tint like the XF stock crystal, which I don't like. x2AR is more pleasing to the eyes but not genlike as the gen has only one side of AR on it.
Yesterday I got an unexpected desk dive which left the crystal AR with a small ding on the edge. I can't stand it so I bought some sandpapers to hand polish it.

To remove the crystal AR, you will need: sandpapers #3000, #5000, and #7000. Get the three of them at once for $5. Get some soft napkins and some water as well before you start.

For FC and ceramic divers, there is no need to dissect the whole watch as the bezel has a very high surface hardness and the sandpapers we bought are of finer texture.

Use the #7000 first. Put your watch upside down on it with the crystal touching the sandpaper, and move fast up and down. After 30 seconds, you can see a lot of small scratches on the AR and then the blue hue starting to fade.

After one minute of friction, the whole crystal has no blue tint at all, and you now have an unfinished crystal. You can see there is a circle of remains with blue tint of the AR on edge of the crystal.

Next, cut the #3000 sandpaper into small pieces that you can hold firmly with your two fingers. Use one small piece of #3000 to treat one small area of the remains. Move your fingers fast repeatedly.

Then, move to next area. Remember to do this one area by one area in straight line and don't move your fingers in circles. Apply water and remove the remains with water after you finish each area.

Finish all the areas, and then use #5000 to refine the result.

then use #7000 to refine at the end. There is now without a trace of blue on the crystal while there is full AR inside (Genlike 1xAR). The end result I achieved has been perfect and it is quite simple and straightforward.

I will post pictures if you guys are interested. I can't use picr.me somehow.
Very nice post. Can you post some pictures of this work?

Inviato dal mio Redmi 5 Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

andyaudi42

11/11/07
I thought the XF v2 doesn't have 2xAR. If you look at the dealer pages, it shows single AR crystal

FTW

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/9/18
I thought the XF v2 doesn't have 2xAR. If you look at the dealer pages, it shows single AR crystal

The dealers have a lot of wrong information on their sites. Commonly they list wrong thickness and also have a mix of pictures from old and new versions.

andyaudi42

11/11/07
Hmmmm, so maybe no need for a prof crystal on the xf v2, just follow the above. Or use a cape cod cloth

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17

I have the stock crystal at hand and it has two side of AR which makes it have a blue tint as the tint is from the color of the sapphire.

FTW

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/9/18
Hmmmm, so maybe no need for a prof crystal on the xf v2, just follow the above. Or use a cape cod cloth

I have heard of people using the cape cod cloth, I never did it before, but it seems like it would be easier

andyaudi42

11/11/07
From what some post have said, it's not the abrasive cloth, but the solvent the cloth is soaked in.

I'm going to try on my xf sometime this week, see if CC is worth the elbow grease required to remove the outer AR

Reactions: Donkey69

andyaudi42

11/11/07
From what some post have said, it's not the abrasive cloth, but the solvent the cloth is soaked in.

I'm going to try on my xf sometime this week, see if CC is worth the elbow grease required to remove the outer AR
Self correction, elbow grease, lots of it, is required.

But much nicer without green/blue tint

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Personally, for removing AR I prefer different grades of diamond paste and an optical lens clothe. Otherwise it is easy to inflict micro scratches on the crystal.

Reactions: watchboi and vcappp

thewatcher

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
5/8/12
The design intent of gen APs with the cyclop being 2xARed and crystal being 1xARed is that the AR coating has an surface hardness of 6-7 which means that it is easy to get scratched. Application on the inner side is good, but on the outer side is risky.

Can you guys please share some photos of the XF stock crystal with removed AR?
It's better to remove the AR from inside, right?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Stock xf xtal is clearly 2xar

I see a hairline scratch on mine and it’s bugging the hell out of me

Akonoypi

Known Member
13/12/18
If only there were b4 pics.....some actual work.....and final result. Anyways good info.

Reactions: SuperLory