• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What gen AP ROO, Diver vs Bee vs Safari

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
What gen would you have and why, assume price is practically the same (+\- £1k).

I’ve narrowed my next purchase down to these three and would like to bounce some ideas off everyone else. Unfortunately, in real life i don’t know anyone that is into APs and therefore can’t really ask them for opinions.

Of course one should buy what they like and not what some bloke on the internet says but it’s good to hear other opinions in case you’ve missed something.

The pictures are random shots from the internet and not of the watches I have seen.

Diver:
The rep is great but the tachy numerals piss me off. They aren’t as crisp as gen and when the lighting is good, I can see the shakey tachy lume application and then i can’t un-see it. However, gen is not cheap. It’s only slightly cheaper than the others pictured here (despite being classed as an entry level AP)...but it’s such a cool watch and can be worn with basically anything and still look fly.
408fc817ef912baab88a69d336e450f7.jpg

Safari:
I really like the new Safari. The old one was a little bland for my taste. This one is on steel but I have a gen hornback at home. Good thing about safari is that it can be dressed up or down and works with most things I wear.
2d0c34b3dd98fb0fd97fbca6ae02ff95.jpg

Bumblebee:
I had a modded JF Rep and it was stunning but the case was a little dull compared to gen....and since the main point of this watch is the F.C, a gen would be cool to have. But, the novelty of an all black “plastic” watch may wear off soon....but it is a stunning piece. Also, with it being F.C, I don’t have to worry about getting it scratched.
d3c581e96e42db44e3f8a720df36c800.jpg

So, what are you saying....what would you get? Is there a watch that you would not get and why?

Regards,
Mech

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
I would pick the bee of those 3. It's case makes it interesting and will stand out from your other SS gens.

I have a Franken and am superhappy with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mech500

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
The bee is a very good shout. It’s nothing like anything else I own.

Does anybody know if a rep open caseback will fit gen closed-caseback diver?

In theory it should fit but the closed caseback diver has a metallic plate covering the movement (in between caseback and movement). Not sure what happens to this plate if you swap in an open caseback....does it leave a void that looks off?

WTB PAM 243M HFv3 or Noob v2

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I would go for the Bee, any day! I’ve owned both the Bee and the Diver in super level frankens and I miss the lightness and playfulness of the Bee. It’s not any sportier than the diver, so this shouldn’t bee ( :) ) a problem for your lifestyle choices I guess. The diver is very top heavy and unless you go swimming with your gen APs, I’d say don’t put that extra weight on your wrist. Plus, the chrono ROOs are considered a higher class of timepieces.

I cannot speak about the Safari, but I’m not into that colour code anyways.

In any case, all of those are supreme choices to do enjoy the new addition whichever way you go.

Reactions: MrBeasy and mech500

Mattspalace

Horology Curious
26/5/18
Safari gets my vote - pictures don’t do it justice. The Bee is nice, but would only be a weekender for me personally.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Given this short list: If you wear those brown/beige colors and already have a blue 15400, then get the Safari. The BB is NWBIG IMO, and the Diver is too close to the 15400. If you are uncertain, which is likely if you are asking the forum to decide, then I would wait another year until you find the right watch. It might not even be an AP, who knows?

Try

Horology Curious
15/4/18
I like them all but if I would get 1 of theese as a gen I would take the safari. Goes with everything unlike the Bee which i think is the coolest one though

ZenWatch

GENSTEIN
Supporter
Patron
Certified
18/5/17
CONUS
Safari get’s my vote. You can rock it with the steel bracelet and then change to your Gen hornback. The Diver too close fi gen in my opinion NWBIG. Good luck with your purchase!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Safari, absolutely. Without a doubt!

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
the SS diver is too similar to your SS 15400 and less special in my opinion.

you already have a great steel watch, get the FC Bee, forged carbon is amazing on these watches. it is so comfortable and scratches are no longer an issue.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
The carbon case is what lets me down on the bee to. i sent it to rebrush hopefully will be better. but bee is a special watch and probably one of the most desidered watches... everyone wants one :)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Really appreciate the input, like I said I don’t know anybody in the real world that knows AP.

Think I’ve ruled out the Diver. Will have to live with my v9.

So it’s between the Safari and the Bee.

I have an appointment to see the Bee this Friday, will post pictures.

The Safari is back with AP for some warranty work (I’m told) but is due back in a week.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Anybody know if the Bee is likely to increase in value? Not that it matters that much .... as I don’t see it decreasing value beyond the current sale price (£13k).

The Safari is cool but there’s so many of them for sale. Just try searching AP Royal Oak Offshore on eBay UK and most of the results are Safaris. That itself isn’t a problem but just wanted to check whether I was missing something here....is there a problem with the Safari? Just wondering why there are so many for sale.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Anybody know if the Bee is likely to increase in value? Not that it matters that much .... as I don’t see it decreasing value beyond the current sale price (£13k).

The Safari is cool but there’s so many of them for sale. Just try searching AP Royal Oak Offshore on eBay UK and most of the results are Safaris. That itself isn’t a problem but just wanted to check whether I was missing something here....is there a problem with the Safari? Just wondering why there are so many for sale.

@mech500: In case you are looking at items sold by watchfinder, please be advised that those guys actually refinish their AP offerings and do so to a rather low standard (I know that first hand). Geometry issues aside (and yes, they are really bad with rebrushing the SS ones), if you were after a Bee timepiece, be careful to get one that has a mint bezel: funnily enough, the ceramic bezel costs almost £2k to replace, which is ridiculous given that you can change the whole FC case for less.

In any case, do enjoy the process :)

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Safari :woo:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
@mech500: In case you are looking at items sold by watchfinder, please be advised that those guys actually refinish their AP offerings and do so to a rather low standard (I know that first hand). Geometry issues aside (and yes, they are really bad with rebrushing the SS ones), if you were after a Bee timepiece, be careful to get one that has a mint bezel: funnily enough, the ceramic bezel costs almost £2k to replace, which is ridiculous given that you can change the whole FC case for less.

In any case, do enjoy the process :)

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know that about watchfinder so appreciate the tip. With AP , PF , VC etc it’s basically all about the finish and only the factory can get it right.

I use a local dealer, his Safari is coming back from AP, so it should be minty.

I’ll take some pics of the Bee later this week.

Thanks
Mech

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Out of those 3 - Safari for sure.

But let me bring some disruption to your mind, how about another kind of ROO? Maybe a navy? or a panda?

audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-panda-1-x.jpg

L1050732_zpsf7595996.jpg