• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My personal collection of modded AP ROOs - Updated & Completed

spursian

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
Finally, the day has come for me to say... I'm done with my AP collection, with modifications! It's been an expensive hobby over these few years, and after all that buying and selling, I'm set on my final collection of APs. This post is a photo essay of the AP ROOs I've collected, modded, and grown to love. (Don't ask me why only ROOs and no Divers, somehow I don't feel the love for Divers.) While others are happy with their original replicas or frankens, I prefer to have my stuff modded, so that I can have a larger variety. Many thanks to my go-to modders and fellow members, namely Legend, Blackboxes, StevenLee, Spongebob, Spin, Prof, SMP Lover, Jacob, and Mikey for providing their services. It's been fun seeing these watches 'grow', step-by-step. I hope you enjoy seeing these photos as much as I do!

Here are the first 9 watches that have been completed.

1. 42mm Silver Themes aka 'Panda'

One of my favourite reps. Both Noob and JF had their own distinct faults on their dials. Noob with the over-sized logo, and JF with the shiny lacquered numerals. So I found a Noob dial, and used the JF logo on it. The Noob dial needed to be modded in order to fit the JF case and tachymeter.

The latest work done on this was the thinning of the JF case. I used to think it can only work with frankens and their LWO movements. But Spongebob managed to thin the case to 14.5/14.4mm, which is even thinner than my Safari franken, which stands at 14.8mm. I'll make the comparison and post in another thread soon.(Update: The link can be found here. https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...e-thinning-mod)

Mods done:
Noob dial with JF logo
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Thinned case
Paired with SMP Lover Saffiano Leather with double red stitch strap

K5SqX.jpg

K5hep.jpg

K5dBs.jpg

CsYgZJi.jpg

2. 42mm Classic Navy Themes

Another classic ROO. Likewise with the Panda, this watch also had its case thinned, down to 14.4mm.

Mods done:
Shaved tachymeter, with paint touch-up
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Thinned case
Paired with Jacob's Blue Hornback with white stitch strap

KAuy2.jpg

KAEHd.jpg

KApkZ.jpg

3. 42mm 'Bumblebee'

The first FC watch in my collection. A beautiful ROO that is also one of the most popular in this forum. One of JF's best replicas.

Mods done:
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with SMP Lover Black Hornback strap

K5H8h.jpg

K5XyD.jpg

K5me8.jpg

4. 42mm Forged Carbon 'Ginza' 7

The second FC watch I have in the collection. While the case construction of the case is identical to the Bumblebee, the most striking part of this watch is its dial. One of the most unique dials in the ROO collection. Legend kindly suggested and helped me to change the logo colour from gold to silver, which is according to gen (JF, you need to change the logo colour!).

Mods done:
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Logo mod
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with rep rubber

K55B3.jpg

KADNb.jpg

K53HU.jpg

YfsjDw1.jpg

5. 42mm 'Juan Pablo Montoya' Rose Gold

This watch is a beast! I used to have the titanium version, but when this model was released by JF, I sold the titanium and bought this instead. Visually, this model looks stunning with its FC bezel patterns. This is one of the very few models in the ROO series that once you have its tachymeter properly shaved, the spacing between the tachymeter and DW window looks very significant. Initially, I thought of letting this go, but after seeing the photos again, I don't think I'll sell this anytime soon!

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with SMP Lover perforated leather strap

K5E0q.jpg

K51bF.jpg

K5WA6.jpg

6. Forged Carbon 'Grand Prix'

A true classic, in the sense that there was the Zorro version, followed by the C&W version. This is the Aflop version, where lots of work was done on this. After I bought it, StevenLee helped me to upgrade and change the dial to another totally new level. The anodization of the dial needs to be seen in person in order to believe it. It's in a class of its own. Photos definitely do not do it justice. (I'll put up a video soon)

Mods done:
Customized tachymeter
Customized dial
Custom DW
Prof cyclops
Matte treatment of FC case
Shaved pinion
Replacement logo on dial
Paired with SMP Lover Grand Prix leather strap

K52qe.jpg

K5PMT.jpg

K5svK.jpg

l4Eo6oE.jpg

7. 'Schumacher' Titanium

While this is another awesome release by JF, I wouldn't have kept this watch if not for StevenLee and Mikey. StevenLee for helping me to spray the dial to a lighter and closer grey to gen, and Mikey for creating the red font DW. Now the watch looks much better.... :)

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Red Font DW
Dial spray treatment
Prof cyclops
Paired with XS rep rubber strap

K5Jjr.jpg

0CG53.jpg

K5bl0.jpg

8. 44mm 'Novelty' Black Ceramic 2017

One of the latest models by JF. When AP first released this, I was eagerly waiting for JF to rep it. Love the gold accents on this watch! The brushing on the bezel is also much better than older 44mm models. However, JF screwed it up by using the older thin logo (also happened on their other 2017 44mm models.) Thus, after seeing AP Byblos having the correct 'fatter' logo (which is the next watch in the list), I bought the spare dial and had the logo on the black ceramic changed.

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Gold Font DW V2
Prof cyclops
Logo change

K5wAA.jpg

K5ivf.jpg

K588Q.jpg

9. 'Novelty' Limited Edition 'Byblos'

Another beast of a watch by JF. There's this thing about pairing white with gold. It really makes this watch stand out. One thing I noticed JF finally got the logo right for this particular model. I wonder why can't they do it for the rest of their newer 44mm models? I hope they will release the V2s of these watches. It irks me seeing these logo flaws (and that goes the same for the 57th Street, Ginza etc....)

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey New Font DW
Prof cyclops

K5UMI.jpg

K5RAo.jpg

K5MlL.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go. The first group of my modded watches. Part 2, which consists of the QEII 2016, Volcano, 57th Street, and my beloved franken Safari, will be posted once I receive them.

Last edited:

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
awesome collection mate. how much for the spongebob thinning mod if you don't mind me asking?

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
crazy collection!! you not fan of new 42mm dials like vampire and elephant?

can not wait to see comparison thinning mod v franken. did spongebob just kill the AP franken game scene!

TheDonSL

28/12/13
Awesome thread and excellent pieces! Enjoy my AP brother from another mother!!!

Known Member
15/3/14
Buddy, that is an amazing collection!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
Awesome thread and excellent pieces! Enjoy my AP brother from another mother!!!

Thanks bro. You have an even more amazing collection. I only have a fraction of what you have!

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
crazy collection!! you not fan of new 42mm dials like vampire and elephant?

can not wait to see comparison thinning mod v franken. did spongebob just kill the AP franken game scene!

The new 2014 42mm models were not repped properly. Either the dials sucked in terms of color, or the pushers were too long.

Yup, I'm waiting to get my hands on a stainless steel rep case so that I can post a comparison.

MrBeasy

8/2/16
Finally, the day has come for me to say... I'm done with my AP collection, with modifications! It's been an expensive hobby over these few years, and after all that buying and selling, I'm set on my final collection of APs. This post is a photo essay of the AP ROOs I've collected, modded, and grown to love. (Don't ask me why only ROOs and no Divers, somehow I don't feel the love for Divers.) While others are happy with their original replicas or frankens, I prefer to have my stuff modded, so that I can have a larger variety. Many thanks to my go-to modders and fellow members, namely Legend, Blackboxes, StevenLee, Spongebob, Spin, Prof, SMP Lover, Jacob, and Mikey for providing their services. It's been fun seeing these watches 'grow', step-by-step. I hope you enjoy seeing these photos as much as I do!

Here are the first 9 watches that have been completed.

1. 42mm Silver Themes aka 'Panda'

One of my favourite reps. Both the Noob and JF had their own distinct faults on their dials. Noob with the over-sized logo, and JF with the shiny lacquered numerals. So I found a Noob dial, and used the JF logo on it. The Noob dial needed to be modded in order to fit the JF case and tachy.

The latest work done on this was the thinning of the JF case. I used to think it can only work with frankens and their LWO movements. But Spongebob managed to thin the case to 14.4mm, which is even thinner than my Safari franken, which stands at 14.8mm. I'll make the comparison and post in another thread soon.

Mods done:
Noob dial with JF logo
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Thinned case
Paired with SMP Lover Saffiano Leather strap

CsYgZJi.jpg

TOmKGUY.jpg

DNYvH13.jpg

2. 42mm Classic Navy Themes

Another classic ROO. Likewise with the Panda, this watch also had its case thinned.

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Thinned case
Paired with Jacob's Blue Hornback strap

bjlNEmf.jpg

tyyGVE8.jpg

rJ27KAZ.jpg

3. 42mm 'Bumblebee'

The first FC watch in my collection. A beautiful ROO that is also one of the most popular in this forum. One of JF's best replicas.

Mods done:
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with SMP Lover Black Hornback strap

TfwyPLS.jpg

5yFy0Kc.jpg

4yCJCJB.jpg

4. 42mm Forged Carbon 'Ginza' 7

The second FC watch I have in the collection. While the case construction of the case is identical to the Bumblebee, the most striking part of this watch is its dial. One of the most unique dials in the ROO collection. Legend kindly suggested and helped me to change the logo colour from gold to silver, which is according to gen (JF, you need to change the logo colour!).

Mods done:
Shaved tachymeter
Shaved pinion
Logo mod
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with rep rubber

YfsjDw1.jpg

WoXR2dm.jpg

Zcazaep.jpg

5. 42mm 'Juan Pablo Montoya' Rose Gold

This watch is a beast! I used to have the titanium version, but when this model was released by JF, I sold the titanium and bought this instead. Visually, this model looks stunning with its FC bezel patterns. Initially, I thought of letting this go, but after seeing the photos again, I don't think I'll sell this anytime soon!

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Classic DW
MK3 cyclops
Paired with SMP Lover perforated leather strap

tgHdQKv.jpg

oBCcKGl.jpg

kfqpy9P.jpg

6. Forged Carbon 'Grand Prix'

A true classic, in the sense that there was the Zorro version, followed by the C&W version. This is the Aflop version, where lots of work was done on this. After I bought it, StevenLee helped me to upgrade and change the dial to another totally new level. The anodization of the dial needs to be seen in person in order to believe it. It's in a class of its own. Photos definitely do not do it justice.

Mods done:
Customized tachymeter
Customized dial
Custom DW
Custom cyclops
Matte treatment of FC case
Shaved pinion
Replacement logo on dial
Paired with SMP Lover Grand Prix leather strap

OvBOfuz.jpg

TE82q3S.jpg

l4Eo6oE.jpg

7. 'Schumacher' Titanium

While this is another awesome release by JF, I wouldn't have kept this watch if not for StevenLee and Mikey. StevenLee for helping me to spray the dial to a lighter and closer grey to gen, and Mikey for creating the red font DW. Now the watch looks much better.... :)

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Red Font DW
Dial spray treatment
Prof cyclops

XsXhSnC.jpg

jkiwela.jpg

BIWfekQ.jpg

8. 44mm 'Novelty' Black Ceramic 2017

One of the latest models by JF. When AP first released this, I was eagerly waiting for JF to rep it. Love the gold accents on this watch! The brushing on the bezel is also much better than older 44mm models. However, JF screwed it up by using the older thin logo (also happened on their other 2017 44mm models.) Thus, after seeing AP Byblos having the correct 'fatter' logo (which is the next watch in the list), I bought the spare dial and had the logo on the black ceramic changed.

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey Gold Font DW V2
Prof cyclops
Logo change

8TbCHqR.jpg

NZn1o5u.jpg

wV7uj2X.jpg

9. 'Novelty' Limited Edition 'Byblos'

Another beast of a watch by JF. There's this thing about pairing white with gold. It really makes this watch stand out. One thing I noticed JF finally got the logo right for this particular model. I wonder why can't they do it for the rest of their newer 44mm models? I hope they will release the V2s of these watches. It irks me seeing these logo flaws (and that goes the same for the 57th Street, Ginza etc....)

Mods done:
Shaved pinion
Mikey New Font DW
Prof cyclops

IVHynFb.jpg

sn7GVA4.jpg

is8u77b.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go. The first group of my modded watches. Part 2, which consists of the QEII 2016, Volcano, 57th Street, and my beloved franken Safari, will be posted once I receive them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sierra-tango

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
sweeeee lah bro !!!

let's talk about the spongebob mod...is he shaving caseback AND midcase ?? Removing rotor ?

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
sweeeee lah bro !!!

let's talk about the spongebob mod...is he shaving caseback AND midcase ?? Removing rotor ?

This, you gotta ask him. For sure he managed to thin the midcase and caseback. :)

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
A unique collection, some of the nicest ROO models taken to another level of closeness to gen! Silly question, but If you had to chose only one to keep, which would it be?