• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Rubens Barrichello 2 - Rep vs Gen Mini Review

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
By mspeed, reposted with Ruben Barrichello biography details by alvinado

Rubens Gonçalves "Rubinho" Barrichello (born May 23, 1972 in São Paulo) is a Brazilian Formula One racing driver. Driving for the Brawn GP team, Barrichello finished third in the 2009 championship. He is racing for WilliamsF1 in 2010.

Barrichello has scored the fifth highest points total in Formula One history. Barrichello drove for Ferrari from 2000 to 2005, as Michael Schumacher's teammate, enjoying considerable success including finishing as championship runner-up in 2002 and 2004. Schumacher's retirement at the end of 2006 made Barrichello the most experienced driver on the grid, and at the 2008 Turkish Grand Prix he became the most experienced driver in F1 history. He is set to become the first driver to reach 300 Grand Prix entries and 300 starts in 2010. Assuming the season is trouble free, his 300th start will be achieved at the Japanese Grand Prix.

Both his father and paternal grandfather are also named Rubens,[1] and Barrichello shares his father's birthday: May 23.[2] Therefore, Rubens Barrichello was known as Rubinho (Portuguese for "little Rubens"), which has become his nickname.

Barrichello won five karting titles in Brazil before going to Europe to race in the Formula Vauxhall Lotus series in 1990. In his first year, he won the championship, a feat he replicated the following year in the British Formula 3 Championship, beating David Coulthard. He very nearly joined Formula One, the highest category of single seater racing, at just 19 years of age.[citation needed] Instead he competed in Formula 3000 in 1992. He finished third in the championship, and joined the Jordan Formula One team for the 1993 Formula One season. During this time, and also early in his Formula One career, Barrichello lived in Banbury and Cumnor, Oxfordshire, UK.

As a young, aspiring driver, Barrichello looked up to the late Ayrton Senna, and when he joined Formula One, Senna in return considered him his protégé

READ UP on Ruben here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubens_Barrichello

432px-Rubens_Barrichello_2010_Malaysia.jpg

On to the Review!!

rb2ss.jpg

rb2ss2.jpg

rb2ss3.jpg

rb2ss4.jpg

rb2ss5.jpg

(both have a gen strap and clasp)

For years I had lusted after pictures of it. The RB2 is the AP holy grail for me. Limited edition only 1000 made in titanium.

These pictures show how close the two look from a foot away. The rep case is absoutely excellent 1:1 size.

Finish is very good, but the backplate is a little too thick. Overall, people who have only seen pics would be fooled by a replica.

Comparing the two in person in person not as convincing as these pictures, many details that are innacurate.

Weight- the rep weighs about 1oz more. surprisingly it makes a big difference in the feeling

Ceramic Bezel- the rep is excellent. but the genuine has a deep glossy black polish that looks like its wet. Its also more curved on the edges the finishing is much more finely brushed and exactly staight. the screws perfectly milled on the gen, the rep look like plastic instead of metal.

Dial- the most innacurate. Everything the rep has, the gen has in the right place but much sharper and shinier. The date window is in the too far to the right, in the wrong color size and font and not AR coated on the rep. The subdials on the rep are too shiny. The black cut-out dial is more matte and thicker, of course the coto de geneve coating.

The silver tech ring on the rep is very very close. Overall the gen dial just pops and looks like it has so much depth and incredibly sharp and detailed. sadly the rep only captures a fraction of that effect.

Hands- i thought the rep hands were good, but the gen is much shinier, and look like tiny sharp polished swords and are more visible, the rep I sometimes struggled to tell what time it is.

Crown- very good, except for the black glass AP logo, the gen is etched deep and big and straight.

Ceramic Buttons- very good, but the gen tilts outward a bit, rounder edges and glossier

Cost- $600 vs $45,000 Enough said!

EDIT: gen is left and rep is right! sorry for leaving this important detail out.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
hey alvin, why did you make a comparison of two identical watches?? :lol1:
keep it coming...

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
hey alvin, why did you make a comparison of two identical watches?? :lol1:
keep it coming...

left is gen, right is rep....
you can see the gear of the hour wheel, the screw under the skeleton dial and the Genevra stripes.......Just take a look at my wrist shot from today, do you see the hour wheel and the screw at 6? The rep doesn't have it

ethan

Looking Around
15/2/10
I llove this watch so much!the only thing thats lets it down is you cant see the workins through the checkerd plate!would buy one tomorrow

marco1281

Looking Around
21/6/10
Hi im really interested in learning where to get this watches at $600 this prices and in witch web pages to trust thanks

D

d4m.test

i only got the photo of some smug looking dude. is he relevant (i only skim so may have missed something)

i get it....he's a race car driver but i really just want to see the watch.

__iceman__

Known Member
13/12/10
Thinking hard about getting the blue one. Any comments on this? I don't see that its listed in Hont, or Lay's website. What is the blue one called? I think there is a titanium, a Rose Gold, and then blue with 1/2 blue dial?

This one looks sweeeeet for weekend wear!

Audemars-Piguet-91.jpg

italiano17771

Renowned Member
5/5/07
Thinking hard about getting the blue one. Any comments on this? I don't see that its listed in Hont, or Lay's website. What is the blue one called? I think there is a titanium, a Rose Gold, and then blue with 1/2 blue dial?

This one looks sweeeeet for weekend wear!

Audemars-Piguet-91.jpg

The blue one is made out of platinum and cost around $100k!

where are the pics???