• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: AP 42MM Panada Franken project - C&W AP Workshop

gordotre

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/10/10
I have been collecting watches for many years. I began like most with genuine lower cost watches and gradually migrated to higher end watches (Meaning Rolex, Omega etc..). Luckily I have been able to obtain many of the watches I have wanted in this range but I still desired the much higher end watches. What is funny is the fact the design is what I liked, not the price tag or even who made them. Fast forward to more recent times, I was even able to obtain 1 GEN VERY high end watch. None other than the AP 42mm Panda. This was one I had always wanted.
I got into collecting REP purely by accident as I came across this forum. Since then I have bought and sold many REPS. The great thing about these is you can obtain most of the really high end brands without spending a fortune, which like most I do not have an endless supply of. J
The funny thing about getting into REPs is that I became more aware of how GENs look and the very specific details. As I progressed with my REP collecting I started to get into modding my REPs. I found this a lot of fun.
I came across Chris from his RWI forum and contacted his C&W AP Workshop. He seemed very knowledgeable and then, after some email exchanges, I sent him my JF AP Black Theme to have modded.
I am VERY ANAL (Chris can confirm this) and when I received the watch back after modding it exceeded my expectations.
Then he mentioned he did Franken projects. We exchanged some additional emails and decided to take the plunge and do a AP 42MM Panda franken. I did this as I wanted to get a PP and was able to trade my GEN AP Panda for it. He assured me when complete it would be super close to GEN. To the point where I could get a strap change at the AP dealer (I would NOT do this) and most would not even notice it was not gen.
My build was the following:
- GEN AP Panda Dial
- GEN Tachy
- GEN Hands (Full set of 6 hands)
- 1 x AR Crystal
- JF Panda Case and Bracelet
- New LWO 283 movement
- Case was to be slimmed down to GEN spec
- Case back was also slimmed to gen spec
- Screws were all shaped to perfectly be sunk per GEN spec
There was a long wait to get all the GEN parts and such but you will see it was well worth it!! I then had another delay as just prior to CNY I had three watches all taken by customs. This added a longer delay due to getting replacements. I finally received everything and shipped the watch to Chris. He proceeded to work his magic. Fast forward again to the completed project. I saw the photos and it looked good but had some questions for him and he was awesome, as always.
I was very picky and finally had him ship it and in person it blew me away. To the point I was glad I traded my GEN AP Panda for the PP. The reason for only one really high end watch is all due to two huge reason. 1. My wife is the BOSS J and 2. My wife is the BOSS. Anyway enough on the back story here are some photos, which I am not good at taking. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Here are some photos of the completed project.

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Awesome franken, and great "build story"!
Enjoy that beauty in the best of health! Thanks for sharing!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Not my favorite AP but an incredible build as always. Congrats on a lovely watch.
What Patek did you buy?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Really nice, loving it!! :thumbsup:

soulmatecolor

27/8/13
b6c69aebc529dec97749ae6d9bae430c.jpg

Brother from another father( Chris) say hi. He did this baby panda and he is also working on my Franken RGRC and highly modded 57th st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordotre

19/10/10
I am probably one of the most anal and picky people there is. Ask Chris if this is true.
His work is incredible. His goal is to not only build a watch that looks very close to GEN but his finishing and attention to detail is second to none. I am sure Domi is also excellent. I am not really comparing them just stating the level of workmanship Chris provides.

Johnniepeh

Looking Around
18/5/15
Look great. Now with that gen dial it's even harder to spot it, Except the thicker case back