• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rose Gold APRO 15400 [BP-Factory] <<REVIEW>>

cwazy1

Respected Member
29/2/12
Hey guys, since posting this guy a few days ago, people have been asking me for a small review of it.

This is the new BP factory 15400 in rose gold and black dial.
Having read prior reviews of gen vs rep and bp vs angus, and 15400 vs 15300 and etc. I feel as though I have a good grasp on what is what in this model.

I will break it down into a few sections split up by what 'part' of the watch we're talking about.

Dial and hands:
I think the dial is nice, definitely better than my ultimate 15300 that I had in black dial. The pattern is nice and crisp and does not have any stray markings on it. The issue I find with the dial is that the hour marker lume is not perfect, and the AP logo @ 12 is crooked, just as the other BP 15400's are. A little disappointing, but oh well.

As for the hands, I think they're spectacular. Slightly dirty and fingerprinty but nothing a little of rodico couldnt fix.

Bezel and case:
Lets talk bezel first. The bezel is on par with the 15300, which means that I'm not all that impressed. The tolerances is MEH, and the bezel screws are just not even close to gen quality. What I am happy about is that BP factory realized that the inner bezel should not be brushed and it is now polished on the RG version of the 15400. Awesome! especially since you cant polish this plated gold.

Case wise, I think is nice. The overall finish is quite good, polished areas are as suppose to be. The general brushed pattern is solid and consistant. Where I noticed inconsistancies were on the side of the case where there is gradual sloping. This probably caused the person brushing the case to lose the consistant nature of pressure applied and thus is not very good. Not very notiable but its there.

Bracelet and clasp:
Pretty good! solid and much more refined and consistant than the 15300 bracelet. Gold is perfect. One thing to note is that midlinks have non plated interiors. You wont notice, but its there.

Clasp is spectacular. Clicks just like the gen. :thumbsup: Cwazy approves. My old 15300 was shitty as hell when it came to the bracelet.

Caseback and movement:
The display back is awesome on this piece.. especially with the correct rotor. the CB is correct with the needed engravings for the gold model.
To me the gold rotor with the all gold watch looks great.

The movement is the ETA2824. Standard on this watch.

Lume:
Not superlume, but its not too bad. Same stuff that BP rolex's have. Some consider that superlume, but not to me. My relumes yield way brighter.

Gold color:
AWESOME! simple as that. very nice

Weight:
Heavy. It is surprisingly more heavy than I had expected. More heft than my PP nautilus and the old 15300.

Feel:
Feels great on my wrist. Nice and thin, its 11mm, and its just a nice overall watch. I use this one for going out to the bars and other flashy events.

Price:
Considerable amount more than the standard BP APRO, this one is at 420$ versus the 380$ for the BP in SS. Oh well, the gold is awesome though.

Pics
i2w6.jpg

zbg8.jpg

qpbt.jpg

ig6t.jpg

sijv.jpg

n1ef.jpg

6tld.jpg

nznx.jpg

Here is the video, but after uploading I noticed that its staticy... I think its because I was too close to the mic... SORRY!!!

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-wh4pisX0[/AME]

daz1201

I'm Pretty Popular
29/9/11
Can you see the brushing in the case and bracelet as per Gen

Or does it just look like flat rose gold coating?

The reason I'm asking ghetto last 15400 angus sold in rose gold

Was nice but the gold looked plated .....

daz1201

I'm Pretty Popular
29/9/11
Great. I have the rose gold w/ white dial in mail...

Should be here Monday...

I think I'll be happy....thanks

jessen007

Known Member
11/8/13
it looks great in the pics!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do the video, we all do appreciate it a lot :)

That being said, the static is a bummer and the rose gold didn't pop as well in the video as it did in the pic.. the lighting could be the culprit.... just though I'd mention that in case you weren't aware of it.... but thanks for the wonderful review :D

458spider

I'm Pretty Popular
2/3/13
just view it on youtube and its damn gorgeous looking gold
it shows class
:)

and what makes me happy is we got same wrist size,
so the review video penetrate better of what it looks like on 6.5" wrist.

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
If you relume this please tell me I'm dying to know what it's like lumed!

daz1201

I'm Pretty Popular
29/9/11
Mine is sitting at the post office and they are closed for Columbus day..

This sucks...

I was expecting cwazy to say a 9....what takes it down to a 7?

The plating?

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Bracelet and clasp:
Pretty good! solid and much more refined and consistant than the 15300 bracelet. Gold is perfect. One thing to note is that midlinks have non plated interiors. You wont notice, but its there.

This is an interesting point!!! It's not possible to plate the midlinks but leave the inside parts unplated. Neither traditional plating or PVC/DLC methods work this way. It sounds like the bracelet or mid-links at least could be wrapped gold???? If this is the case, we have a big-time winner on our hands. On this version, the quality of the plating is of huge importance. A wrapped bracelet would hugely improve the ability for this watch to hold up over the long haul!!!

daz1201

I'm Pretty Popular
29/9/11
This is an interesting point!!! It's not possible to plate the midlinks but leave the inside parts unplated. Neither traditional plating or PVC/DLC methods work this way. It sounds like the bracelet or mid-links at least could be wrapped gold???? If this is the case, we have a big-time winner on our hands. On this version, the quality of the plating is of huge importance. A wrapped bracelet would hugely improve the ability for this watch to hold up over the long haul!!!

could i t be possible if the bracelet was plated while it was assembled
not piece by piece, therefore the insides were missed...Kinda like the
gold Rolex reps?

cwazy1

Respected Member
29/2/12
Mine is sitting at the post office and they are closed for Columbus day..

This sucks...

I was expecting cwazy to say a 9....what takes it down to a 7?

The plating?

the only 9's in my book are the super rep pams, where everything is accurate, including movement.

With the display back and ETA movement, I cant give this better than an 8.

The finish is perfect, I'm just talking in terms of everything.

Things that knocked down points include:
-bezel screws
-movement
-crooked AP logo on dial
-very average lume job on indices

cwazy1

Respected Member
29/2/12

It would, but it would also increase the price. These current gold models are the SS/SS models dipped in plating solution.

If they were to redesign the bracelet to have wrapped links, that would be a whole new production run, with a higher cost of materials.

cwazy1

Respected Member
29/2/12
could i t be possible if the bracelet was plated while it was assembled
not piece by piece, therefore the insides were missed...Kinda like the
gold Rolex reps?

correct. this is how they plate it. They plate the WHOLE assembled bracelet. Not link by link.