• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of Audemars Piguet Seven Sails Chronograph

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
title-4.jpg

This is one of my impulse buys. I saw this model in Precious Time's gallery and bought it. I did ZERO research, didn't care how accurate it was, I just loved the looks of it. I've been a fan of AP for a long time, and it's actually quite surprising that I never bought a Royal Oak. This watch has the old 7750 inside and it was exceptionally cheap (for a real automatic chronograph), so I grabbed one.

This same model also comes in various dial colors, but perhaps the most beautiful of them is the rose gold model with gorgeous white dial. But since gold is too much for me, I chose the stainless steel version. Here you can see the pictures of the gold version anyway (pictures courtesy of Precious Time). If I ever buy another gold watch again, this AP is definitely my first choice.

wt2-9.jpg

Another reason I bought this was that I wanted to have day/date watch. I always thought it was a neat feature. Date sets normally, and the day changes when you turn the crown anti-clockwise (in the date set position). This particular watch had especially slow date change. It started to change already 10'o'clock and the wheel got perfectly centered as late as 2'o'clock.

When I got the watch I immediately started searching for its genuine counterpart. I found lots of "Seven Sails" special edition models, but not this model. When I posted my first picture of my new aqcuisiton, none of the members couldn't tell, either. Next move, of course, was to contact thomasng, our own AP expert and he verified that this watch is a fantasy model. For me it didn't matter at all. I have never done a review of a fantasy model before. Saved me a lot of research and work.

The dial uses very nice looking "square layer" with kinda original "lump of sugar" hour markers. All dial print is very crispy and clean which was very apparent even in all huge and uncropped photos. The case was beautifully finished brushed steel which was one of the main attractions of this watch for me.

The subdial arrangement is the unmodified 12-9-6, which is always the best option (keeping the reliability and possible adjustments in mind). The old Asian 7750 takes genuine ETA Valjoux in without any modifications. If I'm not mistaken even the hands are usable.

dial-2.jpg

The caseback with sailboats is beautiful.

caseback-1.jpg

The strap has very neat looking lockup mechanism, using the AP logo on both sides. Since this was my first ever watch with a leather band I can't really make any educated comments about the quality of the strap. All I know it feels sturdy and thick, and it was designed to fit even larger wrists (like my 8+).

clasp2.jpg

The pushers and crown are screw-down type a'la Daytona. This means you can't operate the chronograph functions without unscrewing the bolts first. The quality feeling of the pushers and bolts is fair, but I'd imagine these kind of things are the easiest tell-tales when you compare a rep to a genuine $10K watch.

pushers.jpg

The diameter of the watch is just 42mm. But because of the typical square AP design it feels much bigger. This watch really has some impressive and "machismo" wrist presence. No wonder they chose AP as Schwartzenegger's watch in
Terminator 3.

wt2-11.jpg

wrist1-1.jpg

All in all... I think this rep is a "strange ride". It's very rare to see a complete fantasy model with fully functional automatic chronograph and quality like this. Perhaps the factories just wanted to be creative and have some fun. For me rep collecting isn't all about pedantic and meticulous whining about minutiae inaccuracies, either. If someone looks nice, I'll wear it.

Funny thing is... My friend (who already owns a rep of AP Wempe) bought this rep literally from my wrist. When I'm writing and finishing this review I no longer have the watch. But now I'm seriously considering the rose gold model. I simply can't stop staring at those pictures.

Thanks for reading (again).

1.jpg

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
astig said:
another nice review. thanks!

Thanks astig.

Somehow I knew this isn't going to get similar community response as the Planet Ocean review. :)

D

d4m.test

AP

I have always liked AP and the City of Sails... You say this would fit great on larger wrists like yours (8)... Question is how would this look on a smaller wrist... say a 6.5 or a 7....??? :?:

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Re: AP

mjames said:
I have always liked AP and the City of Sails... You say this would fit great on larger wrists like yours (8)... Question is how would this look on a smaller wrist... say a 6.5 or a 7....??? :?:

Actually the wrist size doesn't really matter with AP that much, because the lugs size is so huge. The watch is exceptionally big in the "Y-axis" so It pretty much covers ANY wrist. Go for it!!!

Panerino

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/06
Nice review.....by the way I'm sure you know Ahhnold's watch from T2 is 53mm.....when that one is repped accurately that may be my last rep purchase...that is definitely my "holy grail".....thanks for the pictures 8)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
The AP T3 is 48mm WITHOUT the crown guards. It's not just big, it's ridiculous... but I love it. :D Here it is with gents' Cartier. ROTFLMAO.

nlouis.jpg

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
If that cartier is a mans watch, than the AP t3 is a Titan's watch. :lol:

D

d4m.test

By-Tor said:
mjames said:

Actually the wrist size doesn't really matter with AP that much, because the lugs size is so huge. The watch is exceptionally big in the "Y-axis" so It pretty much covers ANY wrist. Go for it!!!

Sorry for the stupidity but what is the "Y-axis" ???

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06

mjames said:
By-Tor said:
mjames said:

Sorry for the stupidity but what is the "Y-axis" ???

The axis is a technical term from CAD programs for operating CNC machines.

The x axis is width, the y axis is length, the z axis is height.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...no wonder you wanted that...the Govenator had one. :) I like the case back with the sail boats. AP cases look bullet proof...Great watch. :)