• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you think I can pull off wearing an A. Lange & Sohne?

monkchild

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/16
If someone knows Lange and the price, they'll probably also be able to spot a bad one, and I haven't come across a good rep Lange unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd be the first to buy.

l3iren

Horology Curious
11/1/15
I mean if you are a student no way you can pull it off...if you are a lawyer or a doctor, maybe...

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
Glashutte

Making the effort to know something about the maker’s history and the model you’re wearing is an aspect of this hobby of ours. If you’re called out, you’ve just found someone else who shares that interest. Be excited to have come across that person and take the opportunity to have an exchange over your mutual interest.

Contrition over wearing a rep of a 5 figure watch will be overlooked if you can back up having it with knowledge about what you’re wearing.

Reactions: C Master

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Most people really don't look at watches. It's only us watch nerds that do. The majority of people look at a watch and see if you've got a Rolex crown at a most... and even then its unlikely. People don't care really. So many cheap fashion watches that watches are largely insignificant.

vsigala

3/10/18
Southern California
If you do decide to get one, the MKS 1815 isn’t a bad rep. I enjoy it that I don’t care who looks at it.

F34924-E9-EA92-493-D-B626-107-FD95-D183-F.jpg

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
vsigala it's a really nice watch. Great strap. Can I ask you the size of your rep? Diameter and thickness. What is the lug/buckle width. Thanks.

sam

Certified
6/4/07
usa
how many people will tell or care.. 1 in a million so buy it and enjoy

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
IMO it's pointless to get a rep Lange.

1 - the big appeal of A Lange und Söhne watches are the finishing work throughout the watch and especially on the movements. A rep Lange with a Miyota 9015? Hardly satisfying and you might as well get something else. No deco plate is going to hold a candle to a Lange calibre. When enthusiasts see a Lange on wrist you'll likely get asked if they can take a look at the finish work on it as that's what they're famous for. Which leads on to...

2 - only watch connoisseurs will recognise the brand and therefore will know how much they cost. If your lifestyle does not match it at least partially people will know it's a rep even if they don't say it.

Last edited:

vsigala

3/10/18
Southern California
kaddy I don’t wear my 1815 to pass off as a gen. I wear it because of the aesthetic of the watch. There’s something pleasing about a clean and easy to read dial that isn’t big and weighing your wrist down. Lastly, I don’t know anyone who would recognize the model or brand.

moopsy

13/6/19
I agree with most of the posters here that you should wear what you like and makes you happy.

however if you’re concerned enough to ask the question, maybe if the reason you want an A. Lange Sohne rep is the aesthetic, I’d suggest there are other really nice reps with similar aesthetic that are closer to 1:1 than the current A. Lange reps... (like the ZF and GF Jaeger Le Coultre Master Ultra Thin Moon Phase). Good luck.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Now that we have this topic here about Lange. I was at an AD and had a long close look at a Saxonia in RG, a Lange 1 and a Grand Lange.
I was really impressed by the finishing and the quality. Also the movement was beautiful. The dial on the Saxonia was incredible even though it's very simple. But it's surface is just so detailed and has that depth to it.

When I left I didn't had the feeling that the best of reps are worlds apart from this. I was more thinking that the reps are getting closer. And many of my reps would look gen beside that Saxonia. Not that they will look like fakes or cheap.

The movement though is more apart when talking Lange. Off course because of how they do it. Most brands have movements that are more comparable to the reps regarding looks. But Lange are special also in the gen world.

It's difficult to obtain the color of the untreated German silver 3/4 plate but something close should be possible. I got the impression that the glashutte ribbing isnt easy to see with the naked eye if it's done by hand or machine. Can be done like the Geneva stripes on the best reps.
Lange have engraving on every surface and many details on the movement which gives them depth and that isnt something they use time and attention towards to do in reps.

But my over all impression was that the best current reps aren't worlds apart and some brands will need reps that are put more work to. And Lange is difficult to rep because the factories won't put the effort in as the brands not as popular.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Paul bites his pillows so hard his gums bleed https://www.instagram.com/p/B3gBjTuHN4Y/
Credit is a cruel mistress...

Agree mate... It's crazy to buy stuff on credit.. if one can't afford it, don't buy it.. It's bad enough that our society is created in a way that banks own everyone's houses and can put you on the street if you're unable to pay your mortgage.. things, houses changing hands, banks getting richer...

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Agree mate... It's crazy to buy stuff on credit.. if one can't afford it, don't buy it.. It's bad enough that our society is created in a way that banks own everyone's houses and can put you on the street if you're unable to pay your mortgage.. things, houses changing hands, banks getting richer...

Yes, it’s crazy! It’s a world wide phenomenon.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

nomoslover

Horology Curious
16/10/19
Athens
Everybody chooses to wear any watch he likes. If however you buy something to show it to your friends, girl, colleagues and pass it as gen then you may live with anxiety, because u have to prove that it is genuine. But if in your social circle are people who recognize only Swatch or Rolex as a watch brand then you have no problem. Besides ALS is known to the 0,001% of the general population. So imho don't worry much!