• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you think I can pull off wearing an A. Lange & Sohne?

shamanblues999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/18
Ok, I love these watches. They are magnificent. Full disclosure. I don't own one (a rep of course, forget about a gen). Even though I am new at this forum, I have done my research and participated in this hobby for a few years. The question really is: can I pull this off (that is wearing a ALS without being called out). Ppl wear reps for different reasons, I get that but for me, I can pull off wearing a Pan, IWC, Omega etc, cuz in my social circle I could be seen as potentially being able to afford some of these watches. But a Lange and Sohne?, come on! we are talking about a $30-50K watch here (and much more in some cases), especially my fav, a datograph. Even nice saxonias and 1815s are over the range of 20k. Considering these reps are not as good as others and not close to gens, then is it really worth it?, I know these reps are amazing and look beautiful but in reality ppl will google right away the cost of your watch and will raise some red flags on how in the world is this guy able to afford such a watch. I'm not sure... any comments of ppl who own them and advise would be appreciated! Thanks...

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Your first solid answer of NO was when you questioned yourself?

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Keylog74

14/6/13
well, on the last auction i was the Lange 1 sold for just 16k...

problem is that no good lange on the rep world :D

Reactions: shamanblues999

shamanblues999

25/4/18
I agree. Thanks for the input. Who cares what the rest think. Although not a Lange and Sohne, the Glashutte senator sixties is listed as a super rep. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanRep

29/8/17
I think if you try and pass it off as real then yes. i have no issue telling people my watch is fake. own it

ohheckyeah

Horology Curious
27/11/18
The problem with rep Langes is that all of the current ones are way way too thick (like 50% thicker than gen) and the date windows are way too small. I'm hoping they come out with a good one in the future

Reactions: vcappp

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
Wear what you like, I mix my reps / gens and no one cares, I get compliments but no one asks questions about my watches. Social status does play a role in this, but whatever!
Unless you live in your parents garage and driving an AMC Grimlin, that I frown upon! LOL

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Well tbh if you had a gen PAM, IWC and Omega, you'd be able to sell any of them and buy a pre-owned entry level Lange, like an 1815 (of which MK is producing decent reps)

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
Not sure if I can pull off wearing one but I will be getting one soon, either this or the iwc tourbillon. I am getting it knowing I can’t afford the genuine and neither would I spend the kind of money owning one. Haha... but damn the tourbillon itself is worth every penny the rep cost. Beautiful movement. And I am amazed the maker could replicate it.

hublot and AP although very expensive but they are more well known.

By the way I understand there is also another type called the carousel. Any makers repped this?

shamanblues999

25/4/18
Thanks for the comments. I am now debating buying a Glashutte rep. The senator sixties is labeled a super rep NWBIG although haven’t really seen detailed reviews about it. It’s fascinating to read how both watch makers ALS and Glashutte started and the paths they took. I tried on a gen Glashutte ss at an AD and it’s awesome. About 10k-20k depending which model you want. There is no AD for ALS where I live but willing to buy a rep just for kicks. Still have to decide which one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
Nobody on the Street walking past you can spot your Watch as Rep. Nobody can spot a Super Rep in a Restaurant on the other side of the Table. Not too much into A. Lange und Söhne but if your Watch is classed as Super Rep it should be good enough. BTW nobody can know what you have in your bank account! only your bank lol. You could have gotten the watch from your Dad (heritage). You dont need to drive a damn expensive Car to get a pass with a Lange. I owned a gen Pam and then i had a ARF V2 SD43 ofc its hard to walk around with a SD in your mid 20s especially if you look young people will question it. But who cares? Enough rich young people walking around the Street.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Listen. The entry level cost of a VW Golf is around €22k. You can get yourself a nice Lange for that, or a Calatrava, Royal Oak, etc.

Now take a walk for a couple of hours and tell me how many VW Golf do you see?

The answer is yes, almost anyone with a normal job can afford nearly any watch nowadays, with finance. People seem to forget that. Another question might be, what would you think of someone that spends €250+ a month for many years to pay for a watch, but that's another discussion!

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Listen. The entry level cost of a VW Golf is around €22k. You can get yourself a nice Lange for that, or a Calatrava, Royal Oak, etc.

Now take a walk for a couple of hours and tell me how many VW Golf do you see?

The answer is yes, almost anyone with a normal job can afford nearly any watch nowadays, with finance. People seem to forget that. Another question might be, what would you think of someone that spends €250+ a month for many years to pay for a watch, but that's another discussion!

I agree.
Archieluxury, Paul Pluta, finances his watches. Sometimes he even opens new credit card just to pay for his new purchase. I love watches but I woudn’t go that far. He’s crazy anyway.

Reactions: johnlogan

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
The question is : how many people know anything about Lange & Sohne? How many people can call you out?
Only if you have a (very) bad luck you may meet a real connoisseur of that watches... 0.1% maybe?
Buy it and wear it with joy...

Last edited: