• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stock market and luxury

Reaps

-
25/9/22
NA only : for me, not even worth it to buy stocks, why not just put into T-bills and any of the bazillion high yield savings accounts? The yields for those will almost certainly beat the stock market overall and it's dead easy

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
savings account very low yield in EU.

Note that I did not mean short term trading. I was referring to stock you would keep for years or more. I have some old Microsoft and Amazon stock. The potential yield is just crazy. I am sad I had not enough unobligated money at that time to buy more.

Reactions: Reaps

Cavemax

28/5/16
I don't know. I'm by no means a financial expert or consultant, but the current situation gives me more of a stomach ache. Not only are inflation rates abnormal worldwide, but yield curves are perverse. In particular, the development in the U.S. - once again - gives me pause for thought. For the last three to four years, everything has been realized and lived on credit. That is why I suspended all investments in shares and ETFs at the beginning of the year. I am still running my existing positions and have not yet liquidated them. But now I invest my money in government bonds and alternative investments, primarily art, whiskey/wine, cars and physical luxury goods via buy digital shares in alternative investments.

But I could just as easily be wrong and think to myself in a year's time "what an idiot, if only you'd kept buying"... wouldn't be the first time, I'm just too overcautious :ROFLMAO:

maxlex

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
The crash in the Bondmarket seems to have found a more or less bottem, inflation is still high but a lot lower.
I hope that Centralbanks are not making the same mistake like all these passed years by sending rates lower and lower
The economy at least in Europ is slowing so Central Banks can ease a bit, rates will still be high.
So I would go for Bonds.

Cavemax

28/5/16
What worries me in particular is the real estate market. It was all so inflated, especially during Corona. No wonder, mortgage rates remained low during Corona and the prices for real estate just kept rising. And now the central banks and, accordingly, the banks are tightening. In Germany, according to colleagues, the interest rate is already over 4+ % in some cases, back to the level of 2011. I don't want to know what will happen when all the lower middle-class families suddenly have to refinance in 5-10 years and are suddenly looking at 4+ % or maybe even more from the former 1-1.5 %.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
real estate market is pretty much locked in Fr
High interest rates, sellers still stuck on their dream prices, banks not lending

and ripple effect on rental markets
all signs pointing to crash

that's why I am thinking about high end institutional companies like LVMH Kering etc
Their stock is taking a drubbing right now, but the fundamentals are rock solid. Looks good for long term invest of free cash

Reactions: Cavemax

maxlex

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
The only point I can make here is that (at least) here in The Netherlands there is a shortage of aprox. 700.00 houses, so demand will be there for a long time
And yes you are right that we got used to these abnormal low yields, you wont see those again for a long time.

Cavemax

28/5/16
Yep, something similar seems to be slowly developing in DE, although Switzerland is not too far away from it either. The real estate prices here are idiotic. And often real estate is listed for more than 2-3 months, where it was almost instantly sold during covid times.

I see your point, but if you're talking about a crash yourself, think back to 2008, when the real estate sector also took everything down with it, even companies with perfect fundamentals. I'm worried about that again now. Especially since various companies are being undercut again, even though they are actually market leaders and very well positioned.

maxlex

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
Imho then in 2008 was different, Lehman went down, the whole banking sector was on the brink of a collapse, here in the Netherlands a few Big Banks had to be rescued by the Government.
Now the Banking system is more robust.
But as always something out of the blue can change the whole picture.
I am 72 years old and have been working on the stockmarket for a long time, so nothing surprises me anymore.
The stupidity of the Central Banks of the passed years (starting with Greenspan) changed the whole game.
Growth was the holy word, rescession No Way, so the intrest weapon was used, and how!!!!
And here we are with idiotic house prices.
Have a good weekend all

Cavemax

28/5/16
CS has just been swallowed by UBS. I wouldn't call the banks today more robust? Especially since the banks were probably not too badly positioned in 2008, but were dragged into the abyss due to dirty products. I don't want to know what new form of CDOs has now been invented again and what dirty debts are being packaged today. But as always, some lose, others win.

maxlex

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
I agree what you write, however CS and with it CS First Boston was allready bad a long time, it was due to happen
Mabey thats a comfort thouhgt

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
We are currently in a much different situation than 2008. That being said this could turn ugly very quickly. Debt to income ratios are very high in the US. I would assume that's the case in many other places. I can say that the housing market in our State is still hot. You would have thought that high interest rates would have cooled it down. In my industry (Building and Engineering) we still see a solid 3-4 years of growth. But that's also due to the fact that we work with public funds. Private entities have slowed down since borrowing money is costly. I do like to read what others are experiencing in their parts of the world since we live in a global economy.

maxlex

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
In 2024 worldwide company loans and company bonds have to be refinanced
approx 5500 billion us dollars, against larger higher rates
The US Government needs to do 7600 us dollars in 2024 (approx 30 percent of US total debt) above that amount another 1800 billion us dollars new debt re. the 6.8 percent deficit.
In Europ overall the deficits are much smaller, exeption is Italy with 4,3 percent
So that is going to hurt here and there, rates will be high for a longer period.
Credit Crunch around the corner???
It smells quite bearish for stock markets
To sleep well the word is Bonds imho

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
We are currently in a much different situation than 2008. That being said this could turn ugly very quickly. Debt to income ratios are very high in the US. I would assume that's the case in many other places. I can say that the housing market in our State is still hot. You would have thought that high interest rates would have cooled it down. In my industry (Building and Engineering) we still see a solid 3-4 years of growth. But that's also due to the fact that we work with public funds. Private entities have slowed down since borrowing money is costly. I do like to read what others are experiencing in their parts of the world since we live in a global economy.
Housing market here is the same.

Nobody gets loans unless they're with a 10-12% interest rate which is ridiculously high.

Our loan for the two tenant houses were at 4.2%

You can see young families moving into houses, renovating them, and a year or two later they move out again because they simply can't afford it.

Meanwhile the city is building new structures, new city hall, new fair grounds etc etc

It's fucked right now.

Reactions: Cigar_Guy97

Cavemax

28/5/16
@TESLA760
I can both understand and confirm your comments. Until recently, I worked in a law firm and we worked with both public and private developers. The private ones have now almost withdrawn and consider every project four times, whereas they only bought and built on all the land they could get two years ago. It feels like every second idiot you can find is now "active" in the real estate sector. At the same time, the public sector does and builds what it wants. The taxpayers will have to sort it out, as always.

@Storm.
Accordingly, I am also unsurprised at the interest rates Storm. Just today I received a market outlook for Germany from my main Swiss bank, in which they are talking about only about 7.6 %. But whether it's 7.6 or 10-12 % doesn't really matter. Very few people can really afford this with the inflationary real estate prices. I find it all the more astonishing that Swiss banks still only calculate with an imputed high interest rate of "only" 5 % for affordability. Under today's circumstances and the ongoing development, this should probably be significantly higher.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20

@TESLA760
I can both understand and confirm your comments. Until recently, I worked in a law firm and we worked with both public and private developers. The private ones have now almost withdrawn and consider every project four times, whereas they only bought and built on all the land they could get two years ago. It feels like every second idiot you can find is now "active" in the real estate sector. At the same time, the public sector does and builds what it wants. The taxpayers will have to sort it out, as always.

@Storm.
Accordingly, I am also unsurprised at the interest rates Storm. Just today I received a market outlook for Germany from my main Swiss bank, in which they are talking about only about 7.6 %. But whether it's 7.6 or 10-12 % doesn't really matter. Very few people can really afford this with the inflationary real estate prices. I find it all the more astonishing that Swiss banks still only calculate with an imputed high interest rate of "only" 5 % for affordability. Under today's circumstances and the ongoing development, this should probably be significantly higher.
That's what they quote also and then they hike it up during meeting.

I've recently had that happen to us. We wanted to buy some more ground to build the same Appartment building we already have. So money for ground and building. We are free of debt.

They wouldn't aknowledge the market price and if used for collateral, they would have deducted about 40% of the value.
So when we called and said ok we need to talk, around 950k we need, our banking guy said no worries, around 5-6% should be doable which I said to ok high but current situation, that's fine.

We come to the meeting he said 9,7%

• Sad

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
That's what they quote also and then they hike it up during meeting.

I've recently had that happen to us. We wanted to buy some more ground to build the same Appartment building we already have. So money for ground and building. We are free of debt.

They wouldn't aknowledge the market price and if used for collateral, they would have deducted about 40% of the value.
So when we called and said ok we need to talk, around 950k we need, our banking guy said no worries, around 5-6% should be doable which I said to ok high but current situation, that's fine.

We come to the meeting he said 9,7%
Your reaction
Confused What Is This GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Storm. and Karbon74