• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

crazy beat error

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Hi guys,

I am playing with a vostok 2416 movement. I took it out of storage where it did not run for months (but not years). The movement is not new, I ripped it off a watch.

The balance wheel seems messed up. I managed to put it back and it ticks but...

...the beat error is 20ms 😱

I have been trying to move the beat error level but I can't get it below 5ms
also, at some points the timegrapher (cheap Ali and TG software) does not even pick the beat even though the wheel is ticking.

Any tips welcome, apart from oiling/pro servicing which is the obvious end option but not a likely one as the watchmaker will cost as much as a new movement 😁

I don't really care about the movement. I am using it to understand how this works

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
nope. at the end, I binned the thing.
Overnight it went crazy again to the point where the timegrapher could not even pick a consistent beat.

I am not skilled enough to fix a balance wheel and hairspring.

I kept the movement for parts and ordered another form ebay from a great fellow in Ukraine who services used russian movements and resells them. I like to think that he scavenges them from the battlefield...

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Nah, i put a compass near the movement and nothing.

then i inspected the hairspring and it was uncentered and conical.

No worries. those movements cost 32€ apiece from my guy. fully serviced and regulated 😅 why should I bother. Lots of much funnier things to do

• Haha
Reactions: Storm. and Hec