• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean 126500 Daytona review

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
First, many thanks to Ilana @CTime for friendly and prompt communication and service. Always a pleasure, Ilana.

About the Gen:
After 23 years Rolex finally redesigns the Daytona in time for its 60th Anniversary. A new case design, very close to 11 series RG/PT case, is now shared with the entire 12 series Daytona line. The steel case is now wider and longer and the RG/PT case is just slightly narrower (basically, its the 11 RG/PT case narrowed at 2 and 4:00 so the bezel rim lines up with the case all around), and no more protruding SEL on gold bracelet models. Personally, I prefer the classic asymmetrical steel case design we’ve had since 1988 with the 16520 that evolved to the steel 1165xx series (and YG bracelet models), but for me it wears small at 38.5 mm. The 126500 series now wears like a true 40 mm, despite the same bezel diameter. A new bezel with narrower ceramic insert with a metal ring was added on most models, hinting the classic 62xx series. A new, less cluttered dial design with slimmer sub dials and hour markers ala 5-digit 16520 Zenith models makes the dial appear more open; new crown added @ 6:00 to indicate a new movement. The crystal now has underside AR coating. For the first time, the PT model and WG Le Mans we see an open case back (rest of Gold and steel models remain closed case back). There’s a new 4131 movement, which is not “new” but an evolution of 4130; and the 4132 special Le Mans edition gets a 24 hour counter (a different gear ratio with 24 clicks instead of 12). Apart from the end of protruding SELs, the bracelets/claps look to be unchanged. Overall, I love the 12 series design and especially its wearability. If only it were 41mm and with brushed lugs 🤔

About the Rep:
Hats off to Clean. They not only acquired both the Gen Panda and Black steel models in November, they managed a true 1:1 release in only 2 months. Impressive. With all reps, there’s always flaws, already discussed in detail on @CTime gen comparo thread. The TD side-by-side gen comparos can be a double-edged sword for the maker; but it helps both them and us improving later releases, bettering our hobby.

Case 9.7
Case shape appears correct 1:1 from all angles. The crown and pushers feel and work like previous Cleans I’ve had. The machining, polishing, and finish look first rate and in the hand overall feels…I’ll say it, gen like.

Bezel 9.5
New “platinum” fill looks brilliant in all lighting, improved over other Clean inserts we’ve had. Numerals may be a hair offset to outer rim; fonts appear correct. Ceramic insert fits perfectly flush on bezel; bezel assembly is perfectly seated to case and feels solid.

Crystal 9.2
Very good clarity with both color dials. Id say its clarity is like my Clean GMT, but not quite as good as my VSF 12 Sub—arguably the best ever rep crystal. The height and edge shape look correct.
*** UPDATE *** I confirmed with @CTime that Clean indeed upgraded the crystal. It now has a more refined surface polishing.

Dial 9.5
White color is just slightly cooler, but not bluish like very early Clean Pandas; actually looks the same as their V3 Panda. Black dial looks beautiful in person, even in sunlight, and I love the polished outer sub dial rings. Yes, the grey texture on the sub dials is not quite a smooth as on the gen, but lovely in person. Print quality looks excellent on both, as before.

Movement 9.0
The new SH4131 winds smooth but sounds a little different than the DD. The chrono operation and feel is the same as the DD. The big seconds hand resets perfectly. The rotor is a tad more audible, but not while wearing. Others more technical can comment better..

Bracelet 9.8
I’d have to say this bracelet is ARF again. There are some tight tolerances on the SEL fit—there is zero end play at the case, and no visual gap. The first link at the SEL has virtually no lateral play. Very, very high quality. The clasp is the same Clean-ARF goodness carried over.

QC 9.9
Everything looks and feels on point far as my old eyes can see. In fact, QC even feels on another level with this new release.

Final thoughts:
The micro flaws mentioned are indeed splitting hairs — not noticeable in person, and in no way take away from the enjoyment of this best ever rep. This new Clean release is simply superb. In person and in the hand it just feels solid and exudes quality throughout. It’s the most gen-like than any other top reps I’ve had (I’ve had 200+ top reps in 17 years). Im amazed by the overall accuracy and elevated quality; more so considering Clean only had the had the gen 2 months. Respect 🫡

*** UPDATE ***
I confirmed with @CTime that Clean indeed upgraded the crystal. It now has a more refined surface polishing.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Great summary and pics - bravo! Thanks for taking the time to do this review.

There's no doubt based on your comments and pics that Clean have done an amazing job.

But I'm conflicted about the 126500 on an aesthetic level. On the one hand, I really like the "finishing touch" of the outer bezel ring that makes the ceramic bezel appear more like an insert than a bezel. But I was never much of a fan of the thin Zenith era chrono subdial surrounds, and to my eye the new dial's subdial surrounds look similarly a touch too thin.

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
White dial is arguably the best out there. Black dial has more very minor flaws than the white but it's still a very good dial. Overall they are the best OOTB Daytona reps available, IMO.

Reactions: Bobi01 and m5smg2

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Great summary and pics - bravo! Thanks for taking the time to do this review.

There's no doubt based on your comments and pics that Clean have done an amazing job.

But I'm conflicted about the 126500 on an aesthetic level. On the one hand, I really like the "finishing touch" of the outer bezel ring that makes the ceramic bezel appear more like an insert than a bezel. But I was never much of a fan of the thin Zenith era chrono subdial surrounds, and to my eye the new dial's subdial surrounds look similarly a touch too thin.
Thanks brother. I hear ya. Another way to view the ceramic bezels is the 11 looked very sporty, and the metal accent on the 12 gives it a little elegance. I guess i prefer the 12 for being both.

Likewise on the thinner sub dials and markers. Keep in mind too, for 23 years we’ve been used to the thicker sub dials of the 4130. But I remember the 90s the Zenith 4030 Daytona with secs @9 had beautiful balance between sport and elegance. I miss that. If I could change one thing on the 12 Panda it would be polished outer rings like the 12 black dial—that would compliment the new metal bezel perfectly. If only we ran the company 😁

Last edited:

Jazz01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/1/23
Europe
Great review - thanks a lot and for sharing the pics.

I liked reading when you say that the 126500 wears much more like a 40 mm watch (I have exactly the same feeling that the 11er is a little bit to small)

One question:
in terms of telling me the time I found the 116500 (BTF) hard to read /for me often suboptimal to recognize the time at the first glance - do you see a difference/do you find it more easy to read the time on the refreshed 126500 dial or no difference at all?

Reactions: Myulchi and m5smg2

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Thanks. In terms of legibility, it’s the same. I’d say because of the polished hands causing reflections. Don’t think any Daytona would be as legible as a Sub or GMT etc..

Reactions: mmaggi

Jazz01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/1/23
Europe
Thanks. In terms of legibility, it’s the same. I’d say because of the polished hands causing reflections. Don’t think any Daytona would be as legible as a Sub or GMT etc..

thanks - yes, makes sense, unfortunately

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
First, many thanks to Ilana @CTime for friendly and prompt communication and service. Always a pleasure, Ilana.

About the Gen:
After 23 years Rolex finally redesigns the Daytona in time for its 60th Anniversary. A new case design, very close to 11 series RG/PT case, is now shared with the entire 12 series Daytona line. The steel case is now wider and longer and the RG/PT case is just slightly narrower (basically, its the 11 RG/PT case narrowed at 2 and 4:00 so the bezel rim lines up with the case all around), and no more protruding SEL on gold bracelet models. Personally, I prefer the classic asymmetrical steel case design we’ve had since 1988 with the 16520 that evolved to the 1165xx series steel (and YG bracelet models), but for me it wears small at 38.5 mm. The 126500 series now wears like a true 40 mm, despite the same bezel diameter. A new bezel with narrower ceramic insert with a metal ring was added on most models, hinting the classic 62xx series. A new, less cluttered dial design with slimmer sub dials and hour markers ala 5-digit 16520 Zenith models makes the dial appear more open; new crown added @ 6:00 to indicate a new movement. The crystal now has underside AR coating. For the first time, the PT model and WG Le Mans we see an open case back (rest of Gold and steel models remain closed case back). There’s a new 4131 movement, which is not “new” but an evolution of 4130; and the 4132 special Le Mans edition gets a 24 hour counter (a different gear ratio with 24 clicks instead of 12). Aside from the end of protruding SELs, the bracelets/claps look to be unchanged. Overall, I love the 12 series design and especially its wearability. If only it were 41mm and with brushed lugs 😎

About the Rep:
Hats off to Clean. They not only acquired both the Gen Panda and Black steel models in November, they managed a true 1:1 release in only 2 months. Impressive. With all reps, there’s always flaws, already discussed in detail on @CTime gen comparo thread. Those TD side-by-side gen comparos can be a double-edged sword for the maker; but it helps both them and us improving later releases, bettering our hobby. Win, win.

Overly excited with new toys, my humble first impressions are below. We can tweak the out-of “10” rating together with your input 😎

Case 9.7
Case shape appears correct 1:1 from all angles. The crown and pushers feel and work like previous Cleans I’ve had. The machining, polishing, and finish look first rate and in the hand overall feels…I’ll say it, gen like.

Bezel 9.5
Not sure on the engraving depth yet; “platinum” fill looks on par with other Clean inserts we’ve had. Numerals may be a hair offset to outer rim; fonts appear correct. Bezel insert fit is perfectly flush and bezel assembly feels solid.

Crystal 8.8
Very good clarity with both color dials. I’m not sure if it has underside AR like the gen. Id say its clarity is closer to my Clean GMT, but not quite as good as my VSF 12 Sub—arguably the best ever rep crystal. The height and edge shape look to be correct.

Dial 9.5
White color is just slightly cooler, but not bluish like very early Clean Pandas; to me it looks like their V3 white which is fine by me. Black dial looks beautiful in person, even in sunlight, and I love the polished outer sub dial rings. Yes, the grey texture on the sub dials is not quite a smooth as on the gen, but lovely in person. Print quality looks excellent on both, as before.

Movement 9.0
The new SH4131 winds smooth but sounds a little different than the DD. The chrono operation and feel is the same as the DD. The big seconds hand resets perfectly. The rotor is a tad more audible, but not while wearing. Others more technical can comment better..

Bracelet 9.8
I’d have to say this bracelet is ARF again. There are some tight tolerances on the SEL fit—there is zero end play at the case, and no visual gap. The first link at the SEL has virtually no lateral play. Very, very high quality. The clasp is the same Clean-ARF goodness carried over 👍

QC 9.9
Everything looks and feels on point far as my old eyes can see.

Final thoughts: in person and in the hand it just feels solid and exudes quality throughout. It’s pretty amazing actually; more so considering Clean only had the had the gen 2 months. Wow.

Excellent detailed review, thank you!

Reactions: m5smg2

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Brother great review… hands down
I love the panda a lot also and have take it off the wrist just for testing the power reserve and once stoped i couldnt wait second longer to put it back on my wrist lol… you couldve just ad that the power reserve is impressive , mine strong 73 hours after a 5 days of wearing it ❤️

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Great review, thanks.
Now which one feels larger when you wear it, normally it should be the white one?
Here is a pic of my super franken, I got used to the smal subdials and the markers.
I am struggling which one I will order. Can you post a wrist shot with the black and white?

KeAw55.jpeg

Last edited:

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Brother great review… hands down
I love the panda a lot also and have take it off the wrist just for testing the power reserve and once stoped i couldnt wait second longer to put it back on my wrist lol… you couldve just ad that the power reserve is impressive , mine strong 73 hours after a 5 days of wearing it ❤️

Thanks bud. And thanks for your clear hi-res photos. Great on the reserve then. I also alternate the Panda and black 😁

Reactions: Bobi01

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Great review, thanks.
Now which one feels larger when you wear it, normally it should be the white one?
Here is a pic of my super franken, I got used to the smal subdials and the markers.
I am struggling which one I will order. Can you post a wrist shot with the black and white?

KeAw55.jpeg
Sir Guru thanks. Will def post wristies later. From 116520 and 500, the white dial always appears a tad bigger. Same with EXP II. I guess bc the white has more presence.

What you have there my friend is one of the Daytona grails. Respect. If you’re a Daytona geek like me, the SEL was only available the final year ‘99-2000—the A series. Also first year 1988 with brushed bracelet and separate “COSMOGRAPH” dial is considered the most desirable 5- digit Daytona.

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
Thank you for sharing, good photos and review.
I guess is the white who takes the crown for now.

Anyway I’m pretty sure my eyes will not read properly the subdials

Reactions: m5smg2

VG87

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
30/5/21
Sorry for the off topic with it being a two-tone, I'm just posting here a couple of pics of my #nwa 126523 for comparison purposes on the shape of everything except for the bezel