• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most common reason watch stops working?

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
So I have this brand new Noobmariner and it works while on the wrist.. (stops intermittently but runs 80% of the time)
but once I sit it on the table.. it stops within a minute or two. I wind it well enough that it should have a dozen hours of reserve.. still it happens.. so it is not a loose rotor not winding it properly.

Any ideas as to what is wrong here?

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
daytona4me said:
So I have this brand new Noobmariner and it works while on the wrist.. (stops intermittently but runs 80% of the time)
but once I sit it on the table.. it stops within a minute or two. I wind it well enough that it should have a dozen hours of reserve.. still it happens.. so it is not a loose rotor not winding it properly.

Any ideas as to what is wrong here?

Check to see if the hands aren't up against the crystal a little.
I had that prob once - while I was wearing my watch it was fine cuz the movements were enough to over come the little bit of friction in some areas (since the crystal wasn't perfectly flat .. you know how reps are). but when I was still or took the watch off with in under a min the hands would stop.. I'd pick it back up and it would start up almost right away again.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
here is something.. I took the case back off (to check the rotor and look for pubic hair like babola found.. lol :lol:

I decided to leave the crown loose as apposed to tightening it down.. and so far.. running fine for 25 minutes.. strong..

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08
Sounds like Seventhexile's issue to me. Removing the crown has relieved some pressure off the movement and allowed it to move. Just a thought ....

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
PHicks said:
Sounds like Seventhexile's issue to me. Removing the crown has relieved some pressure off the movement and allowed it to move. Just a thought ....

yes I had the same thing happen to one of my explorers from it being shipped
(sometimes the hands move during shipping)

... was it to you PHicks ?... my memory is crap... tis why i don't smoke hahha.. need every little braincell to stay alive.

anyways - when u take the back off and pop the stem and the watch runs its a sign that like phicks said theirs to much pressure - try pushing the hands down just a tad and see if that helps... then adjust the hands down or up as needed .. it will eventually get it right and work fine.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
fakemaster said:
Ah the stem is too long.

I am thinking that this is the issue as well fmaster..

measuring the wrong length of a stem will find yourself between clicks of a keyless works which could prevent it from functioning correctly.

hmm,, just stopped... got 41 minutes out of it..

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
Quick fixes to most of the things that will cause these problems.

Remove the case back. Remove stem and wind the crown an extra turn down onto the stem (it usually will tighten down enough to make a difference). This is often enough to get around the pressure from a long stem.
Loosen (not remove) any case clamp screws or remove any plastic movement ring
Refit stem and screw crown onto tube if applicable. Carefully align and centre the movement before fully tightening clamp tab screws or refitting spacer ring - with plastic movement pacers, you might need to file or trim it slightly if the fit is too tight, or if it makes refitting the back difficult check that it is fully seated in the case.
Hold the case with the open back facing down and with an air puffer or canned air gently blow over the movement to dislodge any loose crap - this isn't a substitute for a strip down and clean but will often get a sticking watch running again until you can service it properly.

Otherwise, do the hands tend to stop at the same places each time? Check for hands binding against each other, applied dial markers etc. Hands often move slightly in shipping if they haven't been seated fully.

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08
I guess all of the above is applicable. One of them is probably right.

If all else fails then remove the movement and run it on the bench. If it works there but not in the case then it's not the movement; probably!

No SeventhExile, I don't think it was me!

Changing topic once again (I seem to do that lately). I dug my race bicycle out the other week and took it for a spin. I had this really irritating ticking noise under load. I checked the chain and it was a little worn so I replaced it (you don't want to know how much this cost). Anyway, the ticking was back. Sunday I did a long ride and it was driving me crazy. I checked everything and then, in desperation, I looked on the internet. I found this neat article that described every possible source of ticking known to man. To cut a long story short I turned out to be the right hand pedal shaft. Even though it was tight I was just able to crank on a couple of degrees and the problem went away. Where would we be today without the internet?