• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

raspan1123

Patron
Certified
1/2/17
it’s still always the new members that need the “not get robbed” excuse to wear reps

…heck, just enjoy the hobby, don’t look for excuses why you do so

getting robbed is equally sucky, no matter what…
if you wear an expensive gen you probably have insurance anyway

so if somebody of the “not get mugged”-people would explain to me the exact difference of getting robbed with a rep vs getting robbed with a gen would be, i’d be curious to hear…

Coconuts

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/10/21
I think it's personal satisfaction. Honestly, Rolex watches are very beautiful, for example, but would they be successful if they weren't a legend? If they weren't expensive? When you wear a fake, somewhere it's "lying" and the quality is never incredible (visually but not to the touch). In my opinion, the luxury watch for men marks a certain social success, it is important to have at least one Gen...

Cande

Addict
26/12/21
Everything everyone said before is valid. Gen vs rep is now a mostly personal choice and depends heavily on the personal satisfaction you have when wearing a Gen. I personally do not feel there is enough reasons to buy Gens of SS watches that have good reps available. I would only buy a gen of precious metal watch.

EM9

01000101 01001101 00111001
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W
Buy gen - flip - buy more reps. <----- My usual cycle. Any not being flipped are investment pieces or heirloom. Pandemic prices we're great for resale.

Reactions: wisedennis

Mr.ticktock

SASHA CHERNI
Banned
15/9/22
GRANADA ESPANA
I own 11 Watches with 9 of them High end reps with mods and 2 Genuine Rolex’s that costs around 20k each and the only reason i have gens is:

1- I love Gold and you will only find real Gold on Gens only

2- its an investment knowing that if any bad day comes where i’m in need of money i can just sell my gen watch ANYWHERE and cover my expenses

Kartoffel

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
17/7/22
Europe - Norway - Sweden
Gens are much more of a flex than reps, and buying gens you actully have the papers and certificate to prove it is indeed flex-able:cool:
Not only that they are also good investments, most watches only rise in price over time.

konrad11

Looking Around
12/12/22
Europe
We bought gens because unlike the rep Breitling which Chazing Time, domain registered in Colombia, has yet to even send QC photos of, I can go into a bricks amd mortar store. ask to see the item (with see-through case-back if I choose), think, buy or not.. and enjoy my life.

At present, IWe amreout of pocket to the tune of 400 USD.
ChazingTime and his Singapore bank front /"associate", Jim Tiopan, are silent.
This ---------- knows our address and it is causing us a "nuisance".

We have extracted a product which a con man sold me on. We had the savoir-faire.

If we wanted to buy a piece of s.... , we could got to "Chinatown "in New York or a place nearer or the electronic equivalent in the "virtual" realm.

We do not gamble.

This is not a game.

WeI had to earn the 400 USD which this ChazingTime .... will not refund us as "it" has already informed me.

The "Wild West" existed a very long time back.

Perhaps, the only reason to buy reps is to get ...... but we can go to a brothel and have that done, if we were like that, if You know what we mean.

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21
Gens are much more of a flex than reps, and buying gens you actully have the papers and certificate to prove it is indeed flex-able:cool:
Not only that they are also good investments, most watches only rise in price over time.
not really imo. No one cares enough to ask you about the papers/certificate.... do you carry those in your wallet?

They are not good investments, unless you bought them at the AD. The watch market has crashed.

Reactions: Kcnminus

Kartoffel

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
17/7/22
Europe - Norway - Sweden
not really imo. No one cares enough to ask you about the papers/certificate.... do you carry those in your wallet?

They are not good investments, unless you bought them at the AD. The watch market has crashed.
yea offcourse not random people you would meet but i mean close friends or family members.
If i saw a closefriend with any sort of rolex i would immedietly question its genuinity, maybe because im into reps but still-

Bilko

Alfaholic
16/6/09

crashed, disagree to a certain extent, depends on the watch, just sold my 114060 for a £4k profit and bought a gen deepsea at the right price which is already in profit if i sold it

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17

Yeah, I think this perspective started seeping into watches in the last 2-5 years or so as some brands started to see a significant increase in their resale prices. Watches typically do not appreciate over time. But who knows? Social media isn’t going anywhere, and that’s what led to the meteoric rise in resale in the first place.

Also :lol: at anyone who thinks that you should be carrying papers around to present them to people to “validate” the watch you have on your wrist.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
yea offcourse not random people you would meet but i mean close friends or family members.
If i saw a closefriend with any sort of rolex i would immedietly question its genuinity, maybe because im into reps but still-
If you need box and papers to help facilitate a lie with close friends and family, you really need to re-evaluate who you are. "Flexing" and lying to your close friends and family is about as low as it gets.

hbk25

Horology Curious
8/11/22
I went through my list of gens that I’ve owned & parted with, some not even lasting a month. Subs alone took up like a dozen spots. Ridiculous hobby if you’re of the “grass is greener” ilk. At least with replicas, the damage is minimized.

Admittedly, I’m new to this side of the hobby, but I’m honestly enjoying it as much as I did when I was plugged into the AD / grey dealer “matrix.” Actually even more so.

injector

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/22
becaue i am a super nitpicker and locking for details, also the movementa feel so different.
my circle is:
buying 3-5 reps, wear them daily for longer peroid and than i decide which wafch i will buys as GEN

Reactions: OcarinaOfTime