• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Just for giggles . . . you guys don't want to spend silly money on a watch. I don't want to do that either. You like the design of, say, a Submariner. Now tell me, would you choose a VSF Submariner over a GEN Ginault OR2 if they cost EXACTLY the same, and why?

Understand, the look of both watches is pretty much identical, and the quality as well.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Just for giggles . . . you guys don't want to spend silly money on a watch. I don't want to do that either. You like the design of, say, a Submariner. Now tell me, would you choose a VSF Submariner over a GEN Ginault OR2 if they cost EXACTLY the same, and why?

Understand, the look of both watches is pretty much identical, and the quality as well.

At VSF price, I would buy both. at Ginault price I would buy the OR2.

in real life, neither. for now at least as I find the modern Sub style too bulky. 4 digits anytime

Reactions: Hec and Got20Mate

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I hear you, but I just used that as an example. Some folks say they like the Rolex Submariner design, but they won't buy a "homage" because the quality isn't there. That's not the case with the Ginault. That's pretty much a TC Submariner, the best of the best ever made, but it's not really a homage, but a GEN.

I'm trying to explore the reasoning prevalent here in regard to GENs vs. replicas.

For me, personally, I'm so over Rolex, it's not funny anymore. It sometimes feels like everybody has a Submariner on their wrist. The only Rolex that interests me is the OP Celebration. That one is something different, so un-Rolex in every way. Just trying to see how the new VSF compares to Clean. And, I would wear it on a colorful strap, of course, not a Rolex bracelet!

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I hear you, but I just used that as an example. Some folks say they like the Rolex Submariner design, but they won't buy a "homage" because the quality isn't there. That's not the case with the Ginault. That's pretty much a TC Submariner, the best of the best ever made, but it's not really a homage, but a GEN.

I'm trying to explore the reasoning prevalent here in regard to GENs vs. replicas.

For me, personally, I'm so over Rolex, it's not funny anymore. It sometimes feels like everybody has a Submariner on their wrist. The only Rolex that interests me is the OP Celebration. That one is something different, so un-Rolex in every way. Just trying to see how the new VSF compares to Clean. And, I would wear it on a colorful strap, of course, not a Rolex bracelet!

Seriously, try a 5513 with well made ageing.

Last edited:

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06

For me, personally, I'm so over Rolex, it's not funny anymore.

This is why I went looking into Microbrands, specifically HELM. It made it fun again. Also, @Belkin12 builds are a lot of fun for me.
I may look at some other micros, but I have not found anything else that I wanted to try out.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK

The celebration dial by VS at the moment is so tempting. I really shouldn't be buying anything at the moment but since when has that stopped any off. The latest comparison from Steve made it look excellent, perhaps trying one I the flesh is the answer!

Reactions: Hesekiel

strawman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/23
Italy

Design of the Sub is the Sub. Ginault is an homage : it has a similar design but not 100%.
If I have to buy an homage, I prefer to buy the replica.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
I'm also totally over Rolex at the moment..

I love the smaller vintage pieces BUT i kind of dislike the bulbous oyster caseback - and that's where (at least for me) Tudor comes into play. I will definitely get a Tudor 36mm Prince Date+Day in two tone. It has everything i love from Rolex: the look, the brand recognition, plus it sits flatter on the wrist than e.g. a Datejust. What's not to love!?

I will try it first by either building one, or getting the MKS rep - and then later on get the Gen, because if i really "feel" a specific watch/model, then i want to have the original. Even if it's just a Seiko, a Tudor or whatever.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I'm also totally over Rolex at the moment..

I love the smaller vintage pieces BUT i kind of dislike the bulbous oyster caseback - and that's where (at least for me) Tudor comes into play. I will definitely get a Tudor 36mm Prince Date+Day in two tone. It has everything i love from Rolex: the look, the brand recognition, plus it sits flatter on the wrist than e.g. a Datejust. What's not to love!?

I will try it first by either building one, or getting the MKS rep - and then later on get the Gen, because if i really "feel" a specific watch/model, then i want to have the original. Even if it's just a Seiko, a Tudor or whatever.
Don’t be lazy.
Build

• Love
Reactions: Itto

bertino2

Horology Curious
Supporter
30/3/24
Hi everybody.

I think that this theme gen vs rep is not only a question of money. How many people have so many tastes. Someone has a lot of money, but it doesn't buy gen. Some people don't have money, but save up for a gen watch.

xray7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
Old Dart
Why do people buy Audis instead of Toyotas? Both will get you from A to B, is an easy answer and it lacks the nuance of a few things… like comfort, style, speed, technology, innovation, and simply put, “wank factor”.

What stops you rebadging certain car models as others - like the Toyotas which can be Lexus or popping up to a higher spec on GM vehicles with just a couple of little plastic badges?

Why did I buy the gen Rolex in the first place? Why do I still have a gen Longines and a bunch of other watches? Because I liked them.

You’ll get it when it happens to you, too, if you stick around.

I remember joining this forum 7 years ago and gen watches were a fantasy for me on my income. A lot changed over those years and like I’d seen with many others who had told a similar story in their posts, I have now had all flavours of reps, from high end custom pieces to cheapies. I’ve had gen Rolex, Longines, and more.

I kept the other gens and offloaded the Rolex.

The money spent on the gen Rolex simply didn’t stack up against the enjoyment and pricing with the reps on a comparison - it was just that simple for me.

flopaklopp

Horology Curious
17/2/24
watches in general make very bad investmets (which is however not the case with your two very hot rolex models, considering you got them for retail).
if this is your outlook , it makes more sense to just wear reps and invest your money elswhere.

I can agree with this, the biggest difference in my opinion is the quality control and customer service, the buying experience is also something to take into consideration with luxury brands, but the price difference is still mostly just luxury tax with very marginal gains. thats why i like up and coming brands that cant yet charge a premium for the logo and heritage, names like Christopher Ward and Unimatic spring to mind.

for me personally ill only buy a rep of something i could realistically afford, wearing reps of 200k watches feels funny, no matter how close to gen they might be.
Completely agree with your final point. I love Daytonas but couldn't bring myself to buy and wear a rep as no one would expect me to be wearing a 30k watch! All the reps I own are watches I first of all love, and secondly could probably afford as gen, but prefer having a bigger pool of reps to choose from..
BTW my Gens hardly see the light of day anymore.