• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

few macro pics

curahee

Known Member
13/2/10
just buy fujifilm s6500fd(used) and try some shot...(need more practices)

DSCF7050.jpg

DSCF7053.jpg

DSCF7052.jpg

DSCF7054.jpg

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
regardless the reason,lets just have some more pics.....

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Interesting watch. I have none commemorating that race.
But I do have many watches I have not yet photographed.
Perhaps I can find some time to do so and add them to your thread.

I stopped using film many years ago because digital images were so much easier.
I had worked with Kodachrome many and was used to having to use tripods and slow shutter speeds in order to capture the most detail.
A good digital camera was a revelation to me.
No need to send for processing.
Easy to manipulate the image post shoot in the computer.
I even found a wonderful program (Portrait Professional 9) which allows me to airbrush skin and change facial proportions to make a person look better!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
It is a digital camera Don, FujiFilm are the makers. The camera is a finepix. The shots were taken at 1/60sec, f3.8, iso1600, auto exposure, auto WB, no flash, auto focus and in macro mode.

Col.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I understand how you know everything else but how do you know shutter speed, f stop and ISO? It that info attached to the image somehow? If so, how can I access it?

Think I just found the answer to my questions by looking at the properties detail of a photo file in windows. Amazing that digital image files also store such exact data. Now when I find photos I like I will be better able to understand how they were captured.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You need a little program to access the EXIF data mate.
Try IExif, it's free.

Col.

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
@OP

For simple drastic improvements:

Drop the ISO setting as low as it will go (100 or hopefully less)

Set to 'Aperture Priority' (the big 'A' on the top left dial)

Then give the aperture a big number (f22 perhaps)

Use a tripod or if no have sit the camera on a flat surface so that you frame the subject watch without holding the camera

Use 'Timed Shutter Release' (2 secs)

This will eliminate the grainy appearance brought on by massive ISO settings (you were bumped up to ISO 1600 before) and bring everything about the watch into focus (depth of field)

Then once you have come to terms with this

Time to investigate lighting ;)

Good Luck

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
just keep practising mate ..........its all in the fun .here is a shot I have just done .. I want to do paint mod on this watch..
if you focus on parts of the pic not the watch it can look different ??
test1w.jpg

Cloudfire0

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/10
Did this one up just a few minutes ago. Took it on a Panasonic DMC-FZ5, in the same way that I always take macros - plenty of light, macro mode (which is actually increased aperture, mainly because there wasn't as much light as I would have liked in this indoor picture), moving the camera in as close as I can until it doesn't focus anymore, then back out just until it does. Generally having your field of focus set to the center is helpful.

Its not the best, but its not half bad.
P1110309.jpg

Edit: The only photo editing that I did to this was to remove some dust flecks with Photoshop (read: I was too lazy to thoroughly dust off the dial) , and mild cropping to center the watch.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
DSCF7052.jpg

Am I imagining or does this say "Umited Edition" and did they mean United Edition?:facepalm:

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Am I imagining or does this say "Umited Edition" and did they mean United Edition?:facepalm:

Yes, you are imagining it. It says "LIMITED EDITION" and it's the font style that causes it to appear as a run-on.

Macro I did a couple days ago. This was taken outside.

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SD800 IS
Date/Time: 2010:05:04 07:34:29
Resolution: 1023 x 591
Flash Used: No (auto)
Focal Length: 4.6mm (35mm equivalent: 67mm)
CCD Width: 2.47mm
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
Aperture: f/2.8
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix

IMG_1584-2.jpg

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Restyling of pic´s.

Hey everyone, took the liberty to do some quick and dirty retouching on 2 previous pics in this thread to show what some additional work can do, hope you like it :)

Don´t want to step on anyone's toes, 2 great pictures that I tried a few things on just to show how I would have done.

Most of the work done on these pic´s are a little more advanced since alot of layers in photoshop been used combined with layermasks and filters, so I will only go into the bigger things briefly.
It´s alot more complicated then one can think to snap a picture and make it look the way you want :)

Original:
DSCF7054.jpg

Retouched by me:

DSCF7054reworknyjiddy.jpg

Photoshop CS4 was being used and noise ninja for degrain.
If you or anyone you know are studying you can get the whole PS CS4/5 for just 250USD or something like that, just send in a student ID to get the discount!

Work done, ran a de-grain filter on it just a tiny bit to not kill details.
Adjusted levels a bit in the picture to get some better overall contrast.
Working a lot with layer masks (advanced stuff but easy when you tried a bit)
Layer masks for working on colours in background/reflections a bit.

And dont forget, DODGE and BURN tool is you friend for awesome detail!
The can brighten whites and darken the shadowy stuff for very precise control over contrast without changing the overall feel to the picture.

To bring out more details as well you can use highpass(filter) with a setting of 1.4 ish or just make sure you see outlines of the important details, change layer setting to overlay/ soft light just try what looks best for you.
Sometimes better then sharpen tool (unsharp mask etc.

Also added some vignette for some better focus on the watch since the background was kind of colourful.

That´s about it :)

2nd watch I used more or less the same technique but copy-pasted foreground into background and blurred it for some depth of field.
Lots of work with desaturation to kill off all blue tones and once again DODGE and BURN alot on dial and bezel.
Unsharp mask for some added crispiness.

Before:
test1w.jpg

After my retouch:

test1wreworkedbyjiddy.jpg

/Thanks for WATCHing!