• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What lighters do you use

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Lightning cigars without a wooden match? Nuts.
The soft flame if done correctly and slowly will give you a better burn and taste. I was watching a guy do it but with a regular lighter and tosted the cigar slowly. Buy when he was dont your first taste isnt a burned on unlike torch lighter. Personally I just use whats avaliable.

Reactions: John Williams

John Williams

2/8/22
I use an ST Dupont Mini Jet to smoke cigars. I've had the lighter for 4 years and it works like day 1.

My ST Dupont is Gen and is worth every penny.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
My collection of lighters - The first Dupont on the left is a fake, the rest are genuine Duponts and Dunhills.

You'll notice the plating wearing on the replica but it still functions ok. The flint wheel is softer than the genuine version, but overall it's been very reliable. I use it at times when I'm out and about and fear the risk of losing a nice one.

zomLdY.jpg

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
I love the engineering on a Dunhill Rollagas, in particular the hinge which is pretty much hidden when closed and the piston spring that pops the lid.

But, one thing that really bugs we is the ability to hold gas - the seals seem useless. Most cheap disposable lighters hold gas better than any Dunhil I've owned. If I haven't used one for a few months it's usually run out of gas.

I've tried servicing / changing o-rings but doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Would welcome any one else's experience with fixing this

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
One other thing that I find particularly bad on Dunnhill lighters is the flame regulation. When you first spark them they often stutter a little, then give a little pop before the flame settles into a steady state.

Again, a cheap disposable or Clipper is frustratingly gives a far smoother flame than a Rollagas.

I've given up using genuine Dunhill gas as it doesn't make any difference. I've tried changing the filter in them but again with little effect.

Anyone else suffering the same problems, and better still, anyone have any suggestions for fixes?

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Sadly only by gen gas refill. Which costs same as the rep :)

Couldn't see the link you posted, and maybe it is what I am describing, but you can purchase quite nice brass adapters for the various Dupont (and Dunhill) refill fittings, so you can use any generic lighter gas.