• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Inspired the Chronomat Design?

Syd

Renowned Member
3/7/06
As we all know, the Chronomat is the reference standard among all the Breitling models. Originally created to equip the famous Freece Tricolori flight team, it retains her unique style characterized by its rotating rider-tab and graduated unit bezel, domed-shaped push buttons & crown, dial instrumentation, and the famous slanted flip lock clasp. All of which are inspired from aviation, as we shall see some comparison shots ...

Dome shaped push buttons and crown inspired by prop hubs:

b1domesyq1.jpg

Slanted flip lock clasp inspired by a plane rudder:

b3rudderln0.jpg

Graduated unit bezel inspired by prop engine (front view as pictured):

b2bezelrl5.jpg

Profiled watch case inspired by wingspan:

b5spansu2.jpg

And lastly, the busy dial inspired by cockpit instrumentation:

b4instwc5.jpg

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Nice comparisions, something I'm surprised we haven't seen from the resident breitling nut by-tor.

Watchnuts2

Known Member
25/7/11
Thanks for posting. I'm a big airplane and Breitling fan. Now I know why these watches are for me.

Syd

Renowned Member
3/7/06
chronomatvitesse5rr.jpg

Still my favorite Breitling model up to this day! The Breitling Chronomat Vitesse in Stainless Steel/ Blue Dial.
Any dealer wanna rep this particular Vitesse model (40mm)? I think you'd be surprised with the waiting line!

beachcat

Known Member
30/7/09
Is this the best rep Breitling available ?
Had a BCE from a couple years ago and it was a little clunky and uncomfortable to wear.

Thanks

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
I don’t know what it it’s but it’s pity they changed the chronometer line completely before the last beautiful
collection is being repped properly with at least decorated b01 movement, Breitling is like Toyota Corolla, they change the design completely in every release

lintdrummer

Horology Curious
29/4/21
As someone who works in the aviation industry I would love to see the pics on this thread, any chance the OP can re-upload?