• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What are the key differences between ZF, GF, & VF? (JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon)

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Not entirely true though. The dial for the ZF is off, it only starts curving down closer to the edge, unlike the gen and GF, which starts curving down near the inner border of the hour markers.

Yeah that I didn't know. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also people have been saying that the overall finishes of markers, hands, and case are better on the ZF.

shortlegs

31/5/19
Yeah that I didn't know. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also people have been saying that the overall finishes of markers, hands, and case are better on the ZF.

Never compared the 2 so can't comment, but I've always had problems with the QC of ZF reps, while my GF Santos QC was pain free.

Reactions: bigjohn36

JGgraham

Horology Curious
3/5/17
Hi guys! So everything looks good on the watch to me, I’m just looking for confirmation that the markers aren’t crooked. They look amazing to me! Normally the 6 and 12 markers have something funny going on, but I am happy with this latest batch of GF.

Also the thirty two jewels issue on the back seems to be gone now.

Just want a second pair of eyes to take a look. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/LUsrAGw

Troklo

23/12/15
if it looks fine to you take it you're the one that's going to wear it

ODINDMT

29/8/15
So ZF is not making the grey or the black dial it turns out. The grey on RG looked great but no stock. Other factories don't have the color combo either

Son of a...

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
great info in this thread.

just read thru it completely.

thanks for everyone’s input and photos.

Going for GF V2 RG.

taktloss

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/12/19
Hey guys,

I just ordered a GF V2 Moon in RG, got QC pics, I can't see any flaws but wondering about the white spots on the moon. Could you please check for me whether it's ok or I should ask for another watch? I marked the white spot on the moon in one picture. Maybe its just dust, would you recommend to ask for another one?

Regards

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I just ordered a GF V2 Moon in RG, got QC pics, I can't see any flaws but wondering about the white spots on the moon. Could you please check for me whether it's ok or I should ask for another watch? I marked the white spot on the moon in one picture. Maybe its just dust, would you recommend to ask for another one?

Regards

its dust - highlight it and show to the QC and ask if its ontop of the crystal surface (obviously fine) - or if its beneath the crystal (not fine)

taktloss

22/12/19
Thank you very much, did so now.

But all in all it has a good Quality or do you so anything I should complain of?

nsssk11

Horology Curious
27/7/17
So currently I have found the following JLC UTM

GF V2
ZF
VF
YLF
AZF

Now the question is, which one to get ? I want the one that is the nicest closest to gen, regardless of price

bocodoku

Horology Curious
5/11/20
The funny thing is, I've ordered the UTM a few days ago on Puretime, and just realised that I ordered the AZF instead of the ZF; after looking at the thread, I've decided to email them and ask to get the ZF instead, which is a bit more expensive.

I'm not sure whether it was the right call, but ZF is doing the UTM for quite a long time, so it's a known quantity, while AZF is relatively unknown. Also, ZF is $50 more expensive. Awaiting the QC now.

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
Hi folks. Reigniting this thread as I'd like to pull the trigger on this in Rose Gold and have seen that GF now have a V3 of this watch (but from the description it no longer has green AR coating like the V2 (??).

Is there a general consensus on what is the preferred factory? From what I've researched, it seems people lean towards ZF but would value the feedback of the experts here.

Thanks in advance!

ChronoNoob

26/6/20
Hi folks. Reigniting this thread as I'd like to pull the trigger on this in Rose Gold and have seen that GF now have a V3 of this watch (but from the description it no longer has green AR coating like the V2 (??).

Is there a general consensus on what is the preferred factory? From what I've researched, it seems people lean towards ZF but would value the feedback of the experts here.

Thanks in advance!

People are recommending all sorts. No one has got more than 1 and compared them while writing up something. Well no one outside of some dealers.

I bought the GF V3. It has the cloned 925 movement. According to several sources, the GF's 925 movement is different to the YLF/AZF movement. No comments on whether it is better or worse. I would imagine it is similarly and could benefit from a proper service from a trustworthy and capable watchmaker. The being different seems to check out after carefully viewing dozens of photos and comparing mine with all of them. The engraving and decoration patterns are slightly different to the AZF and YLF versions of this movement.

AZF price is quite appealing. ZF has a lot of fans but a 9015 based movement with mods. Unsure how well that works considering the 9015 isn't designed for this moonphase + date arrangement at all. The distance between date dial and central pinion should be a little off compared to gen since I imagine they used the moonphase at 6 oclock version of the Miyota 9015 to build the modification off? Just guessing.

AZF dial and moon are also decently accurate. In fact the moon disk is considered by some Chinese sellers to be more accurate to gen since gen is not convex like the GF's. AZF apparently nailed the moon closer than the others but the date printing is off.

To be honest, the best choices I worked out would be ZF, GF V3, or AZF. If you care about finish and detail, ZF apparently is better than the other two (I don't own one). GF is the recommended one by every seller I talked to (quite likely because they make the most money from GF sales compared to the others) and AZF some sellers aren't even that willing to talk about but it seems decent, accurate to gen like the other and has the clone movement which can be a plus to some.

One Chinese seller on video recommended the AZF rosegold variants but GF for steel for some reason. Although he also said the AZF's grey dial is more nicely done than GF's.

Last edited:

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
There seems to be a GF V4 out now. From what I understand the movement is 'improved'.

Does anyone know what movement is actually in the V4? Trusty's website has a 9015 listed....