• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with GMT hand on Rolex Explorer II (wrong side...)

SLG

Looking Around
24/7/09
I have a black face Rolex Explorer II that is probably 10 years old. It appears to be a pretty good rep, runs well, but has always had a problem. Since I have found this great forum, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone can help.

The Explorer II has a red GMT hand. On this particular watch, there is no hack movement and the GMT hand is not independently adjustable. The problem with the hand is that the GMT hand is at 6 o'clock position when the date adjusts (I think it should turnover the date when GMT reaches 12). Therefore, to keep the date correct, I have to have the GMT hand 12 hours lagging where it should be.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Any way to fix the hand so that it is in sync with the date?

Thanks for your help!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
You'll have to remove the case back, remove the crown, remove the movement, pull the GMT hand with a hand tool (and possibly other hands, depending on the hand stack), and reinstall it all in the correct position. That's not a first-timer's job.
Find a local independent watch smith (not a watch retailer) and see what he would charge to do it. Probably not much (@$75-100 is my guess).
Or consider it served it's purpose for 10 years and buy a new one - which will be infinitely better than any 10 year old rep.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
You'll have to remove all the hands. Setting them on a GMT is not what you want to do on the first time out.