• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WatchSmith.US watchmaking adventures

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Genuine Oris Big Crown for rescue. The dust under the glass caseback is powdered brass which is never a good sign! When I saw that it was a Sellita movement I knew right where to look, and of course it was a damaged ratchet wheel. Some backstory...when Sellita first released the SW200 (ETA 2824 clone) they were plagued with ratchet wheel teeth breaking off as you see here. They changed the geometry of the teeth on 3 gears to cure the problem, and released the SW200-1 with updated gears.

This movement is a SW220-1 which is a 2836 day/date clone, and I would assume the -1 would indicate the upgraded gears, but apparently not in this one.

As the ratchet wheel teeth broke off, they became jammed under the crown wheel, resulting in a chewed up winding bridge. I replaced the winding bridge and the 3 upgraded gears and did a full service.

Oris has modified this Sellita movement to include a subdial seconds @ 9 o'clock as well as a sexy wheel on the dial side driving the days hand.

Sellita are very good movements as long as you have the updated versions. The three Ginault watches I have use Sellita movements and perform beautifully. This Oris does too now.