• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Wanting to learn the different movements.

Diggeronepercenter

Horology Curious
8/2/23
Tampa Florida
Is there a site, or a thread here that can explain the different movements? I’ve been going through older posts trying to find information so that I can better understand the engines that run different watches. I truely find it amazing how many members here can put together a rep and understand with movements to use with each ind model. I never realized how much is involved, it gives you a greater respect for the makers and/or members that can do their own builds. I’m so tempted to goto a flea market and buy a 20 dollar tray of old junk watches and purchase a cheap watch makers tool set and dig to get better knowledge. Can someone tell me how they started out? I’m not young cat anymore, I’m a 50 year old retired Florida man originally from Pennsylvania/ Jersey area, whom about 2 years ago to start a watch collection. I collect divers watches such as U-Boat, seiko , Casio, deep blue, Aquintas and many more. Anyway thanks in advance for answering.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Have fun ;)

Reactions: Feefo and eBoy

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Another great resource for hobby watchmaking is YouTube.

I'm a bit like the previous US president when it comes to reading: it's no fun without a lot of images, so I prefer to skip the reading altogether to enjoy images in motion, ideally with a narrator explaining what's going on.

Videos of vintage movement restorations even have a meditative quality to them.