• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF submariner minute hand delay

Torque124

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/3/21
HI,

I noticed a strange phenomenon on my VSF sub Kermit... the 41mm .. 3235 clone. bought about 2 years ago from Li and has been serviced after purchase by Somal Canada.

I do have a timegrapher and I am handy with some watch repairs; and I adjusted it to about 2-4 + seconds per day, depending on position, which is great.
The problem I see is weird: the minute hand, is slowly going "slow" as in in a day or two, after I set it up to be perfectly lined up to the minute when the seconds are at 12, it slows down, and is behind in time compared to the seconds hand.
I.e., after 2 days or so, the minute hand shows a couple of minutes less, but the seconds has never slowed down ! I am looking at it very carefully and I know people will say watch is running slow, but it is not; it is just the minute hand :)

I have not opened it yet to remove the bridge and check the wheels, but I believe the wheels are all interlocked (seconds, minute) so it is not possible for this to happen? Unless it is skipping teeth? There is no clutch driving the minute hand which can slip , is there ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Torque124

Banned
25/3/21
Common issue with VS3235 movements, it’s a loose cannon pinion. All it needs is to be removed and tightened.
Many thanks; can you point me to a tutorial ? I would be happy to do this myself if I see some instructions.... is that the driving pinion for the minutes ?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Hmm I’m not sure it exist. The cannon pinion is the spot where the minute hand is installed- it’s friction fitted to the minute wheel and it’s what makes the movement side communicate with dial side and time displaying. This part, for reference:

Torque124

Banned
25/3/21
So I have to remove the hands, dial, and get to it , no?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Yes, correct. You can pull it off after removing the hour wheel, which is just sitting on top of it.

Torque124

Banned
25/3/21
Yes, correct. You can pull it off after removing the hour wheel, which is just sitting on top of it.
Sorry one more question; I assume I won't be able to tighten it myself; is it safe to say that replacing it with a new Rolex one (which I found on Ebay for 65 bucks) will work ? Or it is probably not possible... I am just looking at options in case I stuff up.. And is it the same with 3135 movement ?

Many thanks