• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vr3135 tear down and cleaned.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Ok. Today I serviced the VR3135. The date flip is still shot. The balance sucks. Did not make it out of the parts washer. Besides that, after cleaning, it looks like a real rolex 3135. The finish is amazing and so are most of the parts.

One thing I did notice is that the main plate has pallet fork guard pins. A real 3135 and a Yuki based 3135 does not.

qZThF.md.jpg

Here are break down pics.

qVAGh.md.jpg

qZVKD.md.jpg

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Here is a video that will explain what I mean about the date flip. But all kidding aside. If that is the only part I need to change on this 3135 then I'm looking at under $150 for parts. Not bad.

Improvements are:

Date plate
Date changing
Balance shock system although it is very cheap and the balance stop working.
reversing wheels ( Rolex design)
Finish a lot better than SH.
Date wheel is passable

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Great review, Rob. thank you for this contribution, its amazing work youve done.

Reactions: occb2

stealth658

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
18/6/17
Do you think the issue with the date flip is a design flaw or an issue with your particular movement? Looking forward to see if the parts swap fixes it

Reactions: ssouthall6

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Do you think the issue with the date flip is a design flaw or an issue with your particular movement? Looking forward to see if the parts swap fixes it

I don't know. First VRF I owned. I like the design. I want to play around with a Yuki and this date plate and bridges. See if I can get a more reliable 3135 out of them both. While I do like the cleanliness and finish after going through my movement cleaner, I need to see what I can do for reliability. If I can change the balance shock system on a Yuki/SH balance to the VR that would LOOK nice and be replaceable where a Yuki/SH you are crap out of luck if the balance stone and shock become an issue.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Great review, Rob. thank you for this contribution, its amazing work youve done.

Anytime brother. That is why I am here. I love this hobby and want to learn as much and show everyone what is new in the world of Rep Rolex sports line. The 3135 is my favorite movement. A work horse and I believe that with in the next year or two we will have a great 3135 for our reps. Lets not forget the A2824 when it came out. Now it is reliable.

Understand that when Yuki came out, with upgrades, a nice running hybrid Rolex/Yuki 3135 was about $1000. I have one still running almost 4 years later. So they can be reliable. Now if we can get one from a factory with most of the improvements then we are ahead of the game.

Also this is the first 3135 that came out with a passable date wheel. That alone saves over $100. Also the auto reversing wheels, saves another $200. If we can get the date flip down, that will save about $400-$500 in rolex parts. So do the math and this movement is a big step for us in the 3135. Now if I can get the movement running strong and reliable.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Rob, when you say "if we can get the date flip down, that will save (us) about $400-$500 in Rolex parts," are you saying the date flip issue can be solved by putting in gen Rolex 3135 parts worth $400?

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Rob, when you say "if we can get the date flip down, that will save (us) about $400-$500 in Rolex parts," are you saying the date flip issue can be solved by putting in gen Rolex 3135 parts worth $400?

No. What I mean is, think about the SH3135. For you to put a real date wheel and have it work well and not have date wheel issues or quickset issues you kind of need the following parts:
3135-600 date plate

3135-670 Intermediate date wheel.

3135-645 date corrector

3135-614 date jumper spring

Now that is about $500 in parts maybe $400 if you get a great deal on them.

This VR3135 has fixed all those parts making them stronger and correct. Even so. My date doesn't flip on my VRF. I am hoping it is just a fluke. So I will order parts 3135 623 and 3135 625 and see if that solved the issue. That is about $150 in parts.

I sent Angus a message asking if he could get me those parts from the factory since mine didnt work. I have no issues paying for the parts. I just want working date flip. Is that so wrong? LOL.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
If so, that's still a more cost-efficient way than the modified Yuki, I think.

Form what I see. The VR is an upgrade but in the same sentence they did some weird things. I think the upgrades are huge. But then they did some odd things too. Never the less if we can get it to be reliable then this is huge. I am excited about it.

Reactions: Thecloudhopper

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Im constantly amazed at the rep under world of manufacturers. Someones decided theres a market for an improved movement/ watch , whatever and they give it a shot at building it. Id love to visit the factories that do all this stuff. Im sure theyll pump out the real deal at some point

Last edited:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Im constantly amazed at the rep under world of manufacturers. Someones decided theres a market for an improved movement/ watch , whatever and they give it a shot at building it. Id love to visit the factories that do all this stuff. Im sure theyll pump out the real deal at some point

Me too!

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
That is one fantastic post - it should be a sticky! Just think, IF- and it is a big IF - $150 in parts can make this movement do what it should.... Amazing!

SO if I am understanding you correctly and my math is right, even if you have to pay a watchsmith to do the work, the cleaning and servicing, it's conceivable that one could have a very decent 116610 LV with an improved 3135 movement all for roughly $1000 - $1200. (Additional options: minor casework and gen crystal - add $400 to $500 more.) A real shame about the ARF bracelet not fitting, but oh well.

Yes, it is a lot of money for a rep watch. And yes, the color of the insert and dial is not as spectacular as gen, with the platinum and white gold (let's face it, that is a lot of what you are paying for with a gen Hulk, along with the buttery smooth movement!)... BUT for daily wear, setting time and date, etc. it would function exactly like a gen, and visually be passable to the vast majority of people, yet cost 1/10th the cost of an original!

Now that's exciting!

Averse

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/18
Reading this post and many of your previous work Rob I am beyond impressed with the effort you put into this, especially on behalf of the community. Honestly amazing to have a resource like you available here in the forums. Thank you!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Great teardown m8, thanks for sharing...would be amazing modded with some gen parts I have for sale... ;)

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Here is a video that will explain what I mean about the date flip. But all kidding aside. If that is the only part I need to change on this 3135 then I'm looking at under $150 for parts. Not bad.

Improvements are:

Date plate
Date changing
Balance shock system although it is very cheap and the balance stop working.
reversing wheels ( Rolex design)
Finish a lot better than SH.
Date wheel is passable

]

Hi Occb, great work thanks for taking the time to do this. Like many others I’m purely interested in the movement. I was just wondering how the movement responded to cleaning? Did you see much of a gain in amplitude, comparing before and after? Although, since you’re using the Yuki balance it’s not a true test, but it would be nice to know what you found anyway. I think it would be nice if they replaced this for you as you’re doing a lot of good work for them.
Very interested to know the results on the date flip once you’ve changed the calendar works, look forward to reading your findings.

Oh and where did you get that movement holder? Very nice.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Thanks occb2 for this post. Didn’t notice that there was a new version of 3135 clones out there. Once you can confirm that 623 and 625 will make it perfect, I will order directly.

I’ve two Yuki/SH
One is 80% gen parts and cost me roughly 1000€
The other one has only 10 gen parts (and even not most of those which are recommended to change) and works perfectly after servicing by Ado. No date change issue, no problem to fit gen date disc etc... cost me maybe 500€ with parts and services and I think and upgraded and serviced VR3135 will have a similar range but more close to gen finish and look alike. So that’s great!

Reactions: Thrasher