• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex - Aligned ETA datewheel overlays for Vietnam dial date window?

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
I've been looking for ETA DWOs where the dates are aligned in the middle of the date window on Vietnam dials.

From my experience with Polexpete DWOs on my MBW 1665, the Polexpete DWO is slightly left aligned in the date window on a Viet dial (possibly as it was printed for an ETA dial datewindow).

(Aside to that, the Polexpete DWO numbers are engraved - as opposed to the gen which has them printed on. Silver brushing looks great though).

So I've looked at available DWOs and from what I've gathered so far:

Here's a photo of the Polexpete - note the position of the numbers - slightly left of center (clearly seen by the position of the 1's in 12-19 - close to the inner edge). I suppose the already left justified numbers on the overlay leads up to the dates being aligned to the left in the date window.

Here's a Raffles flat 3 - numbers again slightly left of center - look at the positions of the 1's in 12-19 again. The font is also way too thin on this DWO, this discrepancy will further be magnified by the cyclops on e.g. a 1680.

Here's a Raffles silver DWO, open 6 & 9 - numbers seem to be printed marginally less towards the left. Font's a bit thin though.

Raffles-Silver-DWO-18d52633afe70c972.jpg

Now here's a Raffles white DWO, open 6 & 9. This one has the numbers printed in the centre (no flat 3's though). I would think this DWO will align more towards the center in the Viet dial. I've ordered one to test it out.

Raffles-White-DWO-1d9e2416b16388ec4.jpg

If anyone has any experience with the Raffles white DWO on a Viet dial, could you please post some photos? Or alternatively if there's a better DWO than these mentioned, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: dax007

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
White one will be left justified too. Also print quality is kind of poor. Especially 30 and 28.

I had tried 3 of them and all are same quality.

No luck for us as far as I know. I'm rocking 3135 dw in my 1675 gmt for now as this is the best option for me right now. (Not correct but at least numbers are nicely done)

Reactions: thorne

gtrt5

Known Member
5/10/09
hello, I bought this used date wheel a few weeks ago, the previous owner told me this one is from an korean forum.

look at the closed ”26” like gen and the correct brushing.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I'm afraid oascom is correct, the raffles dwo is still slightly justified to the left.. here's the white dwo on gen DJ dial.

Reactions: Oascom

Sidney.Shaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/20
Agreed. I was under the impression, polexpete dwo weren't left justified, however having used one they are slightly. better quality compared to your raffles dwo and unfortunately no longer available. Looks like were slowly running out of options?

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
I have the same question - what is currently best DWO or DW to fit ETA 2836 / 2846 for Sub 1680 / SD 1665 gen spec dial / case / plexi?

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
polepete's were too brushed and shiny - couldnt even see the numbers. back in the day I'd use a matte spray to rid of the reflective layer. there is a korean supplier I use sometimes with great datewheels, but pricey at $60USD plus shipping each.

Reactions: simonzz01

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Thanks, do you have any contact to this Korean supplier please?

pippoh_eja

Known Member
23/1/16
polepete's were too brushed and shiny - couldnt even see the numbers. back in the day I'd use a matte spray to rid of the reflective layer. there is a korean supplier I use sometimes with great datewheels, but pricey at $60USD plus shipping each.
Could you please share the info of the korean supplier please?
Thanks in advance!

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Any one can please help with the contact to the Korean supplier of DWOs? Or any other source?

I agree with previous posts - tried different DWOs from raffles together with 2846 and viet gen spec dials and all of them are more or less shifted to the left.

dax007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
12/4/23
Usa
Shame this never panned out!! Sure would love a gen like date wheel on my franken 1680 and 16750!!