• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage 34mm Tudor Prince Date, handwound

Paglia Orba

Supporter
Certified
11/10/12
Hello all,

Even though I have a very small wrist, I used to think a 36mm Datejust looked too small, being used to wearing Subs. Lately I've switched to more vintage subs and started to prefer Tudors as they are less common. So I wanted to build a watch that can't be found with dealers, namely, a 34mm Prince, and I started to gather all the parts needed...

Case + dial and hands were purchased from Raffles. Really only had to buy a movement and a strap.

Case: 34mm Tudor case with matching caseback (Raffles)

Crystal: I swapped the crystal with a sternkreuz. It is slightly higher and the magnifying glass is way better, it gives more presence on the wrist.

Dial: silver with gold indices (Raffles). As with all the raffles dials I've purchased, some indexes fell off despite careful manipulation, so I had to glue them back, making a mess in the process. Fortunately it's only visible if examined with a magnyfying glass. I'll keep an eye out for a genuine dial because I like the whole combination very much.
The dial is new but the reflection of the golden colour indices give it a nice almost champagne vintage tint on some angles, really warming it up.

Hands: They are a perfect match I.M.O. (Raffles)

Movement: I put a brand new 2824-2 inside, but when I screwed the backcase, turned out it prevented the rotor from spinning... So I removed it only to find that the movement was very hard to handwind... So I removed the autowind mecahnism altogether and now it winds smoothly and hacks.

Strap: I purchased an ostrich leg strap from a Vietnamese seller on Ebay. Absolutely gorgeous for 20$ postpaid!

Here are the pics, feel free to comment...

UBVMj.jpg

UBJ11.jpg

UB0NK.jpg

UBxHv.jpg

UQHtb.jpg

UBcg4.jpg

UQ35i.jpg

UQj0X.jpg

UQZPc.jpg

UQDoI.jpg

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
Awesome build! Do you have a link to the crystal? It makes a huge difference IMO

Paglia Orba

Supporter
Certified
11/10/12
Got the crystal from Ebay. It does make a difference compared to the original on the Raffles case indeed.

Paglia Orba

Supporter
Certified
11/10/12
The only thing that keeps me from buying another Raffles dial is that I'm afraid of ruining the keyless system...

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
Thats a nice watch, any idea why it had to be converted to manual winding? I have seen other Raffles builds on the forum where the movements dropped right in.

Last edited:

Paglia Orba

Supporter
Certified
11/10/12
I think the Tudor backcase is too flat and so the rotor didn't turn inside. I don't mind winding it everyday, it's still very precise.

mag8

Supporter
11/2/15
EU
Very good watch!
I own a gen Rolex and a Tudor, bit 34mm and they look awesome on my baby wrist

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk