• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Venus Seagull-ST19 in a Moonwatch

NAVIGATER

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/10/06
Just ordered me finally a OMEGA Moonwatch with the "Venus Seagull-ST19" movement.

And now i am asking myself was it a good choice to take it or not, because i dont know if the movement is good or not.
I think if it will break in the future, what i dont hope i cant get a new one from Cousins http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?d ... tid=467728

So can anybody tell if it was a good choice or not?

Thxx for any answer

Greetings Navi :wink

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
From whatI have heard from the watchguys here around the Venus copy is a real workhorse.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
The seagull chronograph movement is indeed a workhorse. It feels so smooth to wind, and really has a look of quality to it. It is also the only chrono movement that comes "oiled" that is used in our reps.

southcoast68

Known Member
27/4/06
I've had several of these and they really are great. The subdial at 6:00 tracks the hour hand which is a "tell" of it being a rep, but there have been some posts around the rep scene of how to "kill" that subdial to always point up (something I would not bother to do myself). No worries with this one.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
southcoast68 said:
I've had several of these and they really are great. The subdial at 6:00 tracks the hour hand which is a "tell" of it being a rep.

Not on a 192 :D

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
Will this movement replace the Asian 7750 (2800)? without any issues? I like the idea of a bulletproof movement even in an automatic!

Tom

austin870

Known Member
15/5/07
I don't think the ST-19 will replace the 7750, although something better should. I believe the 7750 is an automatic ETA clone movement which replicates the original chrono movements. Some of those have an actual (expensive) Swiss 7750 in them. The ST-19 is a manual movement so that really takes away from the authentic look and functionality.

I am curious why the ST-19 is not used in larger watches. I don't see the ST-19 in anything much bigger than 42mm even on manual wind. It is not used in the more common 44mm+ chrono watches. There must be a reason someone more senior would know why. I would really like to see it in the larger manual wind watches. Removing crowns etc to wind a Panarai is a pain.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
austin870 said:
I am curious why the ST-19 is not used in larger watches. I don't see the ST-19 in anything much bigger than 42mm even on manual wind. It is not used in the more common 44mm+ chrono watches.

presumably because the larger chronos are automatics.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
sishac said:
Will this movement replace the Asian 7750 (2800)? without any issues? I like the idea of a bulletproof movement even in an automatic!

Tom

Biggest reason Nope: subdial spacing.

Also... the gen Moonwatch is a manual wind... there are automatic speedys that resemble the moonwatch... but the only true moonwatch is a manual wind watch.

austin870

Known Member
15/5/07
Why is the ST-19 not used in the larger 45mm Radiomir manual wind reps? Is it because it is a chrono only movement?

It would be nice to have a reliable movement that stopped all the crown stripping problems on those models.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
austin870 said:
It would be nice to have a reliable movement that stopped all the crown stripping problems on those models.
What does a movement have to do with crown-stripping? :shock:

scooterboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/8/06
i have the moonwatch with venus since 2 years, best rep. chrono movement!!!!!! no broblems, it runs, runs ....

cheers
jürgen

tracyl

22/4/11
I've got one in a moonwatch also, but the crown/stem stripped. I've contact the TD to get a new stew and crown, and they sent the wrong stems. So getting stem and crowns for this watch will be damn near impossible. I even contacted seagull and asked if they sell stems for this movement, and they told me they do not sell any parts for their movements. I suppose you can find a used movement for parts and use the stem for that, then buy a generic crown to use, but that would be the only way to get these crown strippings fixed.

Another story about my moonwatch: I took it apart to repaint the rehaut black and replace the crystal with a gen moonwatch crystal, and when the movement was out, I accidently knocked it to the floor and it hit a metal pole. Bent one of the wheels for the chrono, and could not be fixed by my watch maker. So now I have a watch that the chrono doesn't work. I ordered another movement from cousins and waiting for a movement swap. I may sell the movement as parts when I get the new movement installed and working.

On a positive note, before I dropped the movement, it was +2 sec a day off, and ran like a tank. I do believe this is the best movement in any watch for this amount of money. Enjoy it!
Tracy

jgm1944

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/11
... it was +2 sec a day off, and ran like a tank.
Tracy

I think the accuracy is hard to judge without a timegrapher. The watch doesn't have a hacking seconds function after all. I have an alpha newman with the same movement and it does keep good time. (crown stripped on that one too!)

What is the Beat per minute for the Seagull ST-19?

Thanks

21,600 bph. (h=hour)

madmex

Known Member
22/8/06
Is there a guide to setting the keyless works on this one? I got a movement from a fellow member and the keyless works is off, so the crown pulls out.