• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC 4500C vs Omega Worldtimer - Which would you choose as your first Rep?

tommygun94

Horology Curious
19/3/23
Indonesia
Just got these photos in and I'm deciding which one to pull the trigger on. Which would you choose based on these images?

I've heard the 4500v's can be riddled with flaws and misalignment issues, but are overall a beautiful watch. I don't think my eye is sharp enough yet to detect any glaring flaws in either.

The Omega is VSF and the VC is from PPF, which apparently is the same as ZF (if I'm not mistaken?)

Also the VC only comes with the rubber strap, so I'll have to track down the SS one so that I can use both. And the Omega is vice versa. I've heard that the 21mm rubber strap can be hard to find for the Worldtimer though.

Anyway, I'm new to this and nervous to pull the trigger so please let me know if I'm about to do anything stupid :)

[Mod edit: Please familiarize yourself with our forum policies pertaining the posting of full sets of QC photos without a specific question.]

Last edited by a moderator:

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@tommygun94 Are those QC photos or just marketing material?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I am just assuming marketing photos, since apparently you haven't paid yet.

Well... which one to choose?

Easy: the one you like best!😊

Personally I'd take the Omega VSF as my first rep. Because I'm a sucker for Omega and a hopeless VSF fanboi.

However, this wouldn't my first Omega (2 gen and half a dozen reps), so I'd actually pick the VC, because I need a Patek and VC in my collection. 😍😆

Reactions: Onepickledginger

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
PS: They are both equally good in terms of their quality, I believe.

The Worldtimer has a flaw in the sense that the world map wasn't easy to replicate, so there will be a bit of a difference to gen. But they still did an awesome job and the difference is only obvious when put side by side and closer analysis.

About the VC: (Full disclosure: I have no experience with reps of this brand)... but I believe that this factory also produces high-end reps and I believe this particular rep has no gross flaws and just the usual details of difference to gen. But don't quote me on that. 😅

tommygun94

Horology Curious
19/3/23
Indonesia
I am just assuming marketing photos, since apparently you haven't paid yet.

Well... which one to choose?

Easy: the one you like best!😊

Personally I'd take the Omega VSF as my first rep. Because I'm a sucker for Omega and a hopeless VSF fanboi.

However, this wouldn't my first Omega (2 gen and half a dozen reps), so I'd actually pick the VC, because I need a Patek and VC in my collection. 😍😆
Haha not marketing, but im about to be a customer. Just trying to get as many eyes on these as possible to put my mind at ease. So far I haven’t spotted any red flags.

Is there anything I should be asking the sender to send photos to look out for?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Haha not marketing, but im about to be a customer. Just trying to get as many eyes on these as possible to put my mind at ease. So far I haven’t spotted any red flags.
Have you paid already and these are QC images?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
To be more precise: Are those photos from a dealer to show you how the reps look like in general or are those pics showing the actual rep specimens you will receive, and the dealer sent them to you to look for issues and approve or reject them?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I also just realized that you haven't received an official new members' welcome message, so here it is: 😊

eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and welcome to RWI!

I noticed that you are a new member on RWI. You are welcome to introduce yourself in the new members area in the "New members say hi" sub section.

If you haven't already, please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members area (in all subsections), as they contain lots of information for newcomers and, most importantly, our forum rules which you need to know, and of course ideally to follow, to get the best out of your experience on RWI!

A good starting point is this list of links to the most important RWI resources:

Also this please read this important sticky:

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me or @Feefo during your time as a newbie. That's what we are here for!

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
As @eBoy said, choose the one you like the best. A few years ago, I had a watchmaker tear down and service the VSF World Timer movement and he was seriously impressed. Two years on its running strong. The finishing is really nice and it feels like a luxury watch. At a quick glance, however, it's easy to distinguish between rep and gen by examining the "Seamaster" font. It's crisp and clear on gen and a bit muddy on the rep. Also remember once this model is out of production, movement parts may be difficult to get.

As for the 4500v, it's my understanding the silver dial is most accurate. If you're considering frankening a watch, the 4500v would be the choice as dials are available. Miyota movement should be decently reliable.

Hard to compare these two as it's a time/date model versus a world timer, but both are good choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: eBoy

tommygun94

Horology Curious
19/3/23
Indonesia
To be more precise: Are those photos from a dealer to show you how the reps look like in general or are those pics showing the actual rep specimens you will receive, and the dealer sent them to you to look for issues and approve or reject them?
Yeah it's a qc from seller, I haven't payed for them yet because I'm buying from a local seller in Indonesia (importing isn't an option for me unfortunately).

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Yeah it's a qc from seller, I haven't payed for them yet because I'm buying from a local seller in Indonesia (importing isn't an option for me unfortunately).

Thank you for clarifying. Please note that posting entire sets of unapproved QC photos is against our forum rules. You can post a limited number of QC photos, accompanied by very specific questions about certain details.

These links contain detailed information about the reasons for our policies regarding QC photos: