• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

User guide to the A7750 movement.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The below is a re-post from RWG1.1 so thanks to greg_r

The 7750 is probably the most-discussed movement on the rep boards. Partly because of the notorious issues with the secs@6 movements (now a little improved with the latest version), but also because it has built a reputation for being less reliable than other movements. The reliability issue is, however, largely based on early samples of the low-beat version - the movement currently being fitted to replica watches is much more consistent and, if treated correctly, is as reliable as one could wish for something that is, essentially, very inexpensive.

Here are a few basic guidelines - culled from posts by Ziggy and various other folks who know a damn sight more about this movement than I do
wink.gif

1. If you have to hand-wind the movement, do so gently and try not to do it too often. The hand wind mechanism is quite high-geared and there is a danger that you can strip the gears if you're too rough with it. Best advice is to start the watch with a quick 'swirl' then just strap it on and wear it. Normal use should keep it wound (I can vouch for this as it's what I do.).

2. Yes, the 7750 rotor is usually that noisy
wink.gif

The 7750 rotor only winds in one direction. The winding direction has resistance since the rotor is trying to wind the mainspring. In the other direction there is no resistance at all, and the rotor is free to spin. If the rotor bearings are dry, there is nothing preventing the rotor from spinning like crazy. Lubricating the bearings helps to quieten the rotor a bit and prevent such a free spin in the non-winding direction.

3. Don’t set the date between 7 pm and 2 am
This is true for all 7750’s, Asian or gen Valjoux. Note that this is also good practice when setting the date on other movements. The date gear starts to engage with the date wheel around 7pm and disengages totally by 2 am, if you attempt to do a quick date change during the engagement, you will damage the watch. Best advice - with any watch, whatever the movement - is to wind the hands forward past midnight until the date changes, then with the hands set to around 6am, use the quick set function to change the date as needed.

4. Don’t re-set the chrono with the seconds hand anywhere but between 10 and 2 on the dial.
The reset hammer can slam down very hard onto the heart cams for the seconds and minute counters. This force can cause the seconds hand to slip if the hand is sitting anywhere but between 10 and 2. Even genuine watches can suffer from this problem. A slipping center seconds hand is totally preventable by the owner, all you have to do is make sure you never reset your chrono between anything but 10-2. In addition, DO NOT push the chrono reset pusher (@ 4) while the chrono hand is running. It is also recommended that you resist the temptation to 'play' with the chronos too often - especially on an unserviced movement - as this can increase the chances of problems.

As I said - this post has been collected from comments by various experts on the boards. If more knowledgeable folks than myself have any corrections or observations, do please feel free to comment and I'll correct this post if appropriate. Thanks.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Awesome, thanks for reposting, Col. A couple of those things I did not know. Might have saved my movement. :)

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Can I add to this?

The 7750 doesn't like to be manually wound; it does create a large amount of wear.

Changing the date on a correctly serviced swiss 7750 or a7750 between 6 & 9 is actually OK - there is a slipping mechanism in place to prevent damage - however forcing it WILL result in a large amount of damage.

Pressing reset again on modern a7750/7750 movements will NOT cause damage but again should be avoided...

not that helpful an addition but still ^_^

great re-post TB

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Thanks for the info Col!

If I may add, as far as I know, the best position to change the date is at 4.30am (when both hands are on top one another). Not sure how true this is but never had problems with my watches

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Personally I use 6 am as then you're past the date change but whatever floats your boat!

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Great Advice!

A7750 movements are robust if you take care of them, the common problem the the Date/day mechanisms, just follow the rules and set it at 6, you've be very safe.

bambax

Known Member
6/1/11
Very Helpful info about the a7750
as i received my first a7750 sec @6
thank you guys

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Not always.... if the timing is crap and the amplitude is crap then yes :)

s65amg

10/6/11
What about the pushers? Just got my skyland and the pusher of chrono START (@2) is hard to click. Is this normal?

MMA

5/10/10
To whomever said changing the date in the late PM was ok... Both IWC and Richemont dont agree.

My Slevin sports only a slightly modified Swiss 7750, and the paperwork from both parties suggest it's a bad idea.

hidden impact

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/1/12
so, how do you know if the mechanism is dead? i just received the new PAM305 with a 7750 automatic mechanism. the seconds dial was not moving, so i tinkered with the crown to change the time and date. that went fine, then i tried to carefully wind it a few turns and nothing.

should the watch have arrived with a moving seconds hand? how many "swirls" does it take to get the second hand to move?

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
It may take quite a few shakes or swirls to get it ticking from a dead stop. If you wind from the crown, do so very gently.

hidden impact

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/1/12
BTW: the rotor appears to be turning in BOTH directions! shouldn't it only move in one direction? the rotor spins freely counter clockwise, but i can still watch it rotate clockwise.

i'm not sure how gentle is gentle. how do i know if it's broken? all the gears appear to be rotating when i wind.

hidden impact

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/1/12
anyone? i know it's best to just return the darn thing but i was hoping there was an easy fix for this bugger. from the qc pics i received, the seconds hand is still in the exact position leading me to believe the watch wasn't working since then.

could it be the spring or motor assembly is not attached or is damaged?

anyone have a similar problem?

marcellen

Horology Curious
12/4/12
There are some shops that are offering a IWC Portuguese with 7750 movement having 29 Jewels, and other shops offer the 7750 with 25 Jewels, all shops mentioning 28800 bph, and movement coming from Shanghai Watch Factory.

Three questions:

1) is it likely that the movement really comes from Shanghai Watch Factory?
2) is Shanghai Watch Factory really producing both 28800 bph versions with 25J and 29J?
3) which version is to be prefered?

Thank you!

miffy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/8/11
Whats the first thing I should do with a new rep with a 7750 movement? Wind it, shake it or wear it?

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
Wear it. When it begins beating, you adjust time and date (dont forget to set date while time is at 6:00 AM. )

I never shake or wind my 7750s I just wear them until they start to beat on their own. Sometime a little wrist shake is required to wake em up though.

Reactions: Mixcoast