• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Snowflake Sub 94110

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Ive been wanting to try my hand at a blue snowflake sub. Ive wanted to build a really beat up vintage Tudor sub that looks like I found it at the bottom of gear bag.
beat up, faded, water damaged , you name it. a watch with a story. The tudor 94110 snow flake sub is the cousin of the 5513 but since im board to death of rolex subs I wanted to see if a Tudor would grow on me.

These were my inspiration

Ordered all the parts from raffles and when they arrived this week I got to work.

The dial
honestly. not a fan. the print on the dial is crisp but in person it looks a bit blue/white like the blue is bleeding thought the white print.. not very bright but its clean.
The dial is more royal blue than navy blue. but for 40 bucks you can expect perfection. So I had no regrets aging the lume and water damaging the dial.

Aged the case with some sweet dings , dents scuffs.

I roughed up the inserts and put them to soak to age them.....lost track of time and they sat for a bit longer than needed and I ghosted them one had a bit of paint remaining so I used that one. The ghost effect is cool but not what I was after...I wanted a faded blue. I'll order a few more and try again.
These faded inserts may be up for grabs if anyone is interested hmu.

That's how she currently sits. Its not love at first site for me. with the silver grey ghost bezel and blue dial it feels kinda like a yacht master at quick glance. I am not big into subs but I thought I would give this a shot and it was a fun exercise I do have a domed crystal coming for it and once that is installed and a faded blue insert - and maybe a different dial I will come around

anyone suggest a better option for a blue snowflake dial?
\\\

As always comments and questions welcome. Thanks for looking

Reactions: Hor-Fan

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
Raffles has a few snowflake dials. Some of them do have a slightly blued script while others are pure white. The photos ontheir website need really close comparison to tell the difference.

Reactions: 369mafia

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Reactions: dax007 and 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Options for better dials are fairly slim, as the raffles case has a 29mm fitment and the better dials available will be gen spec 26mm.
Helenarou used to stock 29mm snowflake dials, but they’re currently not listed, still you might want to email them and ask if they can get one.

Raffles does have another one with whiter print

Thanks for the link and info I seen that dial when I was parts shopping but I usually go with a white lume dial so that I can age the dial and hands the same . The print is nicer on that example reps are all about compromise .

Reactions: Hor-Fan

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
update:

I heavily aged this , with the idea that it was a watch found at the bottom of someone's gear back from the 80s

the case comes with a sapphire crystal but the t19 superdome makes all the difference and I want from disliking the watch to really digging it. and Im not a sub guy.

Have a few more inserts on order going to try the baked option this time instead of chemical to get an even fade ...thenI think I will really enjoy this watch.

Uncledrew

Horology Curious
11/7/22
A real thing of beauty, and a grail piece for me.

I love sifting through this forum and admiring people such as yourselves work.
The attention to detail and level of critique on individual parts always amazes me.

Reactions: 369mafia