• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Pelagos photo comparison: XF v5 vs ZF v2 versions

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
I've seen a few threads where people have asked about which Pelagos version is best or what the differences are between them. XF and ZF factories get most mention, so I hope this comparison will help those deciding between them.

On the table are the two specimens, XF v5 on the left; ZF v2 on the right.
Unfortunately I only have the bracelet for XF version, so for a side by side comparison they're both on the supplied rubber straps.

Finishing on both is pretty similar, perhaps XF slightly finer but there's not much in it.

...and the back
Lettering on the case back is slightly different. Looks like XF lettering is machined ve ZF where looks like maybe a spark erosion process was used, so bottom of the letters has a rougher surface, but still has very crisp edges.
The making of the case for model number is different and mirrored between the versions. XF looks to be in the correct location from versions I've seen of the genuine, and finish is crisper.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Case thickness : 14.5mm on XF vs 14.1 on ZF
Length: 50mm for XF vs 49.5mm on ZF (measured lug tip to lug tip)
Width: pretty close to 42mm on both (measured across bezel)

Bezel finish is similar on both, perhaps XF has the edge when comparing by loupe, but visually they're the same. The action on the XF is slightly more positive, but both good with just a little back lash. Vertically, there's more play in the ZF bezel.

Crown are both ok. knurling definitely better on ZF and shield logo similar on both but maybe XF has the edge.

In the photo below, XF on top; ZF bottom..

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Thanks for the comparison

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
The bezel is a key difference. The finish is similar - both ceramic, but markings are thinner on ZF. The XF model looks more like the current gen though the application of lume is fatter, i.e. each number is wider but the lume is applied thicker. I's say the ZF is better applied, but the font thickness and markings are better on the XF version.

A bugbear on the XF version is the proportions of the central 12 triangle, the ZF is more gen like.

XF bezel:
ZF bezel:

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
The supplied rubber strap is good from both factories, though when you have the chance to compare the ZF is superior - the material feels more premium, it's very slightly thicker (by about 0.2mm at the lug end) and slightly less flexible.

The buckles are similar, XF slightly better brushing, but ZF better colour match for the titanium.

The finishing is also not so good on the XF strap - notice the flashing from the mould:

Colour is nearly identical to ZF, but material and finish is better with the ZF:

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Movement in XF is decorated whereas ZF is plain Jane, but ZF has some perlage, albeit a bit rough. Neither have any ETA markings.

XF has Incabloc suspension and a dark balance wheel which I never saw before:

ZF has a superior Etachoc type suspension:

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Despite the differences in movements, accuracy on both is as good as you could hope for:

XF movement timegraph:

ZF movement equivalent reading:

Reactions: Theodizee

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
As you can see from the photos, there are good and bad points for both, but both seem very good reps.

If it wasn't for the bezel insert issues on the XF I'd say that the XF was certainly better, but the marker @12 is a giveaway so I prefer the look of the ZF from a distance. In terms of overall quality the XF edges it though. I haven't compared side by side with a gen though have tried one on.

Reactions: Mr Chewbacca

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
I forgot previously to show the lume shots that many here seem to obsess about.
Not much in it between the two in terms of colour and brightness.

XF on left; ZF on right:

Reactions: FritsBlaasbaard

Mr Chewbacca

Looking Around
23/12/20
As you can see from the photos, there are good and bad points for both, but both seem very good reps.

If it wasn't for the bezel insert issues on the XF I'd say that the XF was certainly better, but the marker @12 is a giveaway so I prefer the look of the ZF from a distance. In terms of overall quality the XF edges it though. I haven't compared side by side with a gen though have tried one on.
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the XF. For me the big difference is that I have a 20 year old invicta with a Miyota movement. Despite having never been serviced it still runs great. I feel a little more confident with that movement and I like the 3d effect in the XF.

Looks like they are both pretty awesome so cant really go wrong.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
For me the big difference is that I have a 20 year old invicta with a Miyota movement. Despite having never been serviced it still runs great. I feel a little more confident with that movement and I like the 3d effect in the XF.
You'll just need to make sure you get the XF version with the Miyota. I understood when looking at these, that most of the recent versions are coming with the ETA clone. With the solid case back you won't know for sure even from QC photo stage, so best to try and confirm with your source.

Reactions: Mr Chewbacca

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Thanks, that was a informative write up.
XF wins this round for me. But i couldn't live with that 12 hour triangle on the bezel.

To add to this. I have the XF LHD and all of the mentioned flaws above are not there on the LHD. 12 hour marker is spot on. So is the crown. And although the LHD is a black dial, the chapter ring matches the dial.
I studied the gen and rep for a while but couldn't find a visible flaw.

Reactions: StrangwaysAtoll