• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Pelagos in 2020

maily

9/10/10
Good Morning all,

I hope you are all well, i am in a bit of a pickle made the mistake on reading up on various Pelagos reps and now i don't know what to go for????

A lot of people say the Miyota rep is terrible, unreliable and keeps poor time as its a Miyota clone, and an ETA 2824 based clone is better...

Currently in 2020 what is the best Rep of the Pelagos available to buy? I know that sounds like a very noobish question but i am a bit over whelmed with opinions and information a lot of which dates back to 2017/2018 and some 2019 and i was wondering if there has been any advances or changes since then...

I have been after one of these for a while and tbh whilst ive been busy with family and work just took a break from reps completely!!! So this will be my first rep purchase for a while so want it to be good!

The hardest hardest decision out of everything else above anything else.... Blue or Black as i love both and have seen enough pictures on instagram etc of both and i just cannot decide!!!!!! I like both so much and yes ideally i would buy both... But what do you guys think??? <<< Appreciate this is mostly individual preference and opinion but none the less would love to hear what you all think..

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Good Morning all,

I hope you are all well, i am in a bit of a pickle made the mistake on reading up on various Pelagos reps and now i don't know what to go for????

A lot of people say the Miyota rep is terrible, unreliable and keeps poor time as its a Miyota clone, and an ETA 2824 based clone is better...

Currently in 2020 what is the best Rep of the Pelagos available to buy? I know that sounds like a very noobish question but i am a bit over whelmed with opinions and information a lot of which dates back to 2017/2018 and some 2019 and i was wondering if there has been any advances or changes since then...

I have been after one of these for a while and tbh whilst ive been busy with family and work just took a break from reps completely!!! So this will be my first rep purchase for a while so want it to be good!

The hardest hardest decision out of everything else above anything else.... Blue or Black as i love both and have seen enough pictures on instagram etc of both and i just cannot decide!!!!!! I like both so much and yes ideally i would buy both... But what do you guys think??? <<< Appreciate this is mostly individual preference and opinion but none the less would love to hear what you all think..

The Miyota 9015 used in replica watches isn't a clone it is a genuine Miyota movement made by Citizen ( they are cheap to buy in bulk ) . It is good reliable workhorse movement , i find they wind well , they have instant date change at 12am and keep much better time than the published specs . In fact i have a couple that are astoundingly accurate +- on a 2-3 day wear . The only problem is they have a UNI DIRECTIONAL rotor which is noisy . The movement is easily replaced or serviced .

The Asain2824 used in reps is again reliable easily serviced etc and doesn't have the noisy uni directional . However the date change is not instant ( or classed as gradual ) it will begin to change somewhere near 12 and flip on or around 12 . Although i have a genuine watch that begins to change at 11.30 and doesn't flip till 1ish .

THE BEST Pelagos is the V6F/ XF ( same factory TD's use both Monica's as reference ) it is classed as a SUPER REP on the NWBIG list ( the ZF is not ) . They have had both movements in . However the latest version of the V6F/XF (V4) has a Miyota 9015 decorated to look like a Tudor MT5612 . The V2,V3,V4 of the XF/V6F are all classed as Super Reps . There are no differences cosmetically , the differences are to the movement and decoration of it . You may be able to find one knocking about with a TD or on M2M with the clone ETA if you prefer to the Miyota . Members reckon they have solved the noisy Miyota rotor with a little mobius oil to the bearings . Not sure if that works myself .

A great choice of rep to get back into the hobby .

Last edited:

maily

9/10/10
They are both on a consensual list of super reps so you cant go wrong. Service Miyota and your good for 5 years.

Thank you very much i agree there isn't much between them all which is probably what makes this hard.

The Miyota 9015 used in replica watches isn't a clone it is a genuine Miyota movement made by Citizen ( they are cheap to buy in bulk ) . It is good reliable workhorse movement , i find they wind well , they have instant date change at 12am and keep much better time than the published specs . In fact i have a couple that are astoundingly accurate +- on a 2-3 day wear . The only problem is they have a UNI DIRECTIONAL rotor which is noisy . The movement is easily replaced or serviced .

The Asain2824 used in reps is again reliable easily serviced etc and doesn't have the noisy uni directional . However the date change is not instant ( or classed as gradual ) it will begin to change somewhere near 12 and flip on or around 12 . Although i have a genuine watch that begins to change at 11.30 and doesn't flip till 1ish .

THE BEST Pelagos is the V6F/ XF ( same factory TD's use both Monica's as reference ) it is classed as a SUPER REP on the NWBIG list ( the ZF is not ) . They have had both movements in . However the latest version of the V6F/XF (V4) has a Miyota 9015 decorated to look like a Tudor MT5612 . The V2,V3,V4 of the XF/V6F are all classed as Super Reps . There are no differences cosmetically , the differences are to the movement and decoration of it . You may be able to find one knocking about with a TD or on M2M with the clone ETA if you prefer to the Miyota . Members reckon they have solved the noisy Miyota rotor with a little mobius oil to the bearings . Not sure if that works myself .

A great choice of rep to get back into the hobby .

Ahh wow okay in which case i think the Miyota would be a good choice as i want reliability and something that will just work. I can look at oiling the rotor if it is noisy. The instant tickover for date at 12am also is appealing. Thanks for taking the time to write this very detailed and informative reply its cleared a few things up for me and i will have a look and see what i can find for the V6F/XF.

https://www.intime05.co/tudor/4804-...let-miyota-9015-to-cal-free-rubber-strap.html <<< What version is this as the website states it as a v3. I am looking at buying the watch from Marvellous Replica a TD on here and when i enquired he sent me that link in terms of the watch and version..

Alternatively who is the best TD to source this one from??? I would have liked an M2M and found one closer to home but so far nothing has come up and when they do they disappear to fast.

Thanks to both of you for your help and responses much appreciated :)

Reactions: McMk5 and Cadows

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Yep the watch in that link is the one you want !!!! If you check other dealers sites for comparison the V3/V4 are the same watch . Other members may correct me but TD's seem to use both V3/V4 for the currently available watch .
They disappear quickly on M2M because the watch is a SUPER REP NWBIG and very good value for money , and great alternative to a SUB . Marvellous is a TD so will sort you out , when you get your QC pics look a well centred DW and straight markers ! They can sometimes be wonky especially the square markers . However 9 times out of ten they are good , and it is an easy watch to check over and give the OK .

Reactions: Screwtape and maily

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Perfect thank you very much!

I don't buy from Trusty i have my own regular TD ( loyalty etc ) , but they have a great site . I always check out my purchases on TT due to the HD videos of the watches which are great ( even during his sabbatical as a TD) . I probably should buy a watch from them as i have used the website so much for research :D

Reactions: fredflintstone

Unknoun

Horology Curious
1/1/20
In one of the topics about Pelagos on the forum, the owner of the version from 9015 complained that he could not replace the movement with the original Miyota. Look for it. Perhaps he will tell you what went wrong. I chose ZF 2824. Of the shortcomings, perhaps the glass AR coating does not look very good. But I'm not too picky. One more. More horrible springbars. I have never seen a thinner one.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
In one of the topics about Pelagos on the forum, the owner of the version from 9015 complained that he could not replace the movement with the original Miyota. Look for it.

You should provide a link because the 9015 in the V6F/XF rep is an original Miyota with a decorated rotor . So a straight swap . There is a thread were a forum member asks if he he can swap in a gen ETA into a Miyota watch and is told he can't .

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I chose ZF 2824. Of the shortcomings, perhaps the glass AR coating does not look very good. But I'm not too picky. One more. More horrible springbars. I have never seen a thinner one.
The ZF version is very good there is a comparison thread with the XF version somewhere . I think it was agreed it is a first class NWBIG , but the XF/V6F was deemed better . That is why the Tudor Pelagos is the watch included on the Consensual List . It was decided despite some minor flaws that it's a Super Rep .

ZF Tudors always have questionable SELS and that is because of the cheap thin springbars used . If you change them for something decent the bracelet will fir sweetly and the SELS look great .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
take a look yourself. I give a link to the whole topic. I hope you can find it. I just can’t comment on what is written there.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-v4-what-s-new

Yep the V4 uses a genuine CITIZEN MIYOTA 9015 with a decorated plate / rotor . Reading the thread would you say that sounds like somebody who doesn't know what they are doing ? He seems to think he is replacing a clone 9015 for a genuine 9015 to solve the rotor noise . When has purchased a GENUINE Miyota to replace a GENUINE Miyota to solve the rotor noise ! They will both have the same rotor noise because they both have uni directional rotors . All Miyota 9015's are noisy because the rotor only winds the watch one way , it spins freely on its return to centre . Which is the boing noise! The 9015 is too small for the Pelagos case a skilled watch smith can make the movement fit . After all ZF got it to fit . Perhaps transplant the decoration on to the new movement to fit as ZF did ?

Last edited:

Unknoun

Horology Curious
1/1/20
The ZF version is very good there is a comparison thread with the XF version somewhere .[/QUOTE]

I studied Pelagos for a long time in both forums. In my opinion, there are so many comparisons and results. RWI loves ZF. RWG loves ZF. In addition, they are different from version to version (from series to series). With non-obvious external advantages, I chose a simpler one for me with a possible replacement 2824. In addition to the message about the impossibility of a simple replacement for Mijota, there is also information on the forum that it is not clear why the decorated closed rotor breaks the bearing. A subject skipped with Pelagos and photographs of his "Mijota", which was clearly not original. Just don't ask for a link. This is all on the RWI. I killed for half a day until I found that link. Honestly, this information was enough for me to decide in favor of the ZF. Despite the fact that I consider XF / VS one of the best manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMk5

Unknoun

Horology Curious
1/1/20
Yep the V4 uses a genuine CITIZEN MIYOTA 9015 with a decorated plate / rotor

Honestly, the noise of the rotor bothers me a little. And the advantages of the Japanese Mijota over the Chinese 2824 are quite obvious. I was even going to buy a version of XF. The trouble is that even if this Mij0ta is Japanese, which has reasonable doubts, then it was finalized with "skillful hands." which turned her virtues into flaws. If you believe the author, then the original Mijota watchmaker could not able to install in place of the same Miyota, who stood in Pelagos. Although to replace the rotor you need to unscrew 3 screws. Too much uncertainty for me.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
You seem a bit upset perhaps best if we don't converse anymore . You're correct about everything !! Hopefully the OP ignores everything i have written . Hopefully he reads your advice as you seem to be very knowledgeable. Hopefully he buys the ZF watch and not the NWBIG Super Rep XF ( which definitely has a genuine Miyota ) Good luck god bless Thanks Chocolito .

Last edited:
Reactions: Jammydodger79

Unknoun

Horology Curious
1/1/20
[QUOTE god bless Thanks Chocolito .[/QUOTE]

It is good news that the original Miyeta is in Pelagos. I'm sorry that you were upset by my remark that Mijota with a modified rotor is not exactly a Mijota. But judging by the reviews on the forum, this is indeed so.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMk5

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
[QUOTE god bless Thanks Chocolito .

I did not mean that! I have never held a pelagos from XF in my life. Only my zf. I can say about him. But what? Just that it looks blue and titanium. And I don’t know what's inside. I hope that 2824. All that I wrote about XF I wrote "read on the fence." Who knows if this is true or not? The fact that Pelagos from XF is $ 30 more expensive in China is a fact. And the Chinese themselves consider XF better. In short, there is no simple answer. Probably the best one you have.

[/QUOTE]

There is a simple answer chap . The watch has been extensively researched by forum members and there is a NWBIG list on this forum which is compiled from this consensual opinion/research . The XF/v6F is on the list and on that list as a ' NWBIG SUPER REP ' .

The way the list works is if there are two very good versions of the model , only the best will be on list unless both are NWBIG ' super reps'. The ZF is a very good replica and definitely a ' First class NWBIG ' replica but it's not on the list because the XF/v6F is better .

The OP asked which is currently the BEST version of the Pelagos . The answer is the XF/v6F it's that simple . However is he prefers a clone 2824 ( than the current 9015 XF/v6F movement ) he could go for the ZF version which is also a very good 'First class NWBIG ' replica or look for an XF/V6F with a 2824 in the M2M section .

Regarding movements you will find the Miyota 9015 sold for varying amounts as a single unit if you google them from inexpensive in $ to expensive in $. However they are very cheap to buy as a new unit for watch makers especially if you are buying them in 1000's . They are also easy to source for rep factories . I have taken the case back from watches , and own replica watches with a 9015 and can confirm they are GENUINE movements . Why would rep factories develop a clone 9015 when they are cheap to buy a put straight into their watches ? The jury isn't out on this subject , other forum members can confirm it also .

The story is different with rep factories regarding clone ETA movements which they use for two reasons . Firstly cost they are expensive to buy ( for fake watches) so the factories replicated the genuine movement to bring down costs . Secondly GENUINE ETA's are now impossible to get for rep makers new and in bulk . As ETA is owned by the Swatch group and they a few years back put a total embargo on ETA movemnts being used in anything but Swatch group watches . They are kept under lock and key , and not produced under licence or sold to individuals or other watch manufacturers . That is why lots of microbrands who used ETA's a few years back now now use alternate movemnts such as Selittas.

Any way that's the last i am saying about the Pelagos on this thread . Good luck god bless and stay safe Chocolito .

Last edited: