• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Trusted Dealer thrashing Chinese factories - your thoughts?

andrewstaton

Horology Curious
27/11/22
I recently entered into a discussion with a “trusted dealer” to purchase a Bluesy 126613LB. I asked a couple of questions specifically as to where the watch was sourced from - and I received the following note. I was completely turned off and led me to question the integrity of the dealer. Your thoughts?

In reality, I do not deal directly with China. I get my watches from a local distributor. So I really do not know which factory these come from.

Do not get carried away with all the factory names that get thrown around on here. That is all pure marketing. There are no factories in China that are big buildings with VSF, or ARF, or NOOB, or CLEAN on the building. A factory in China is nothing like what we envision here. It's a tent. These watches are a capitalistic venture in a communist country. They are not sanctioned by the Chinese government. So, the police (Chinese Military) try to close them down. So, when a spotter sees anything suspicious, they radio back to the tent (factory) and the tent comes down and everything and everyone goes into hiding until the coast is clear. None of these tents have these factory names. The names are made up by the dealers in an effort to get you to want their watches. And how do I know this? My watch repair guy worked in these tents for 10 years before he was allowed to leave China.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Since this is your 2nd post on this board….

I ask…

What TD was this message from?

Im 99,9% certain, it didnt come from any TD on this board. The lagugage and phrasing used is way off for trusted folks here.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Not sure what part of that is trashing... but he's right... "factories" are not big amazing buildings there...
Everything is crude in China when it comes to black market...

andrewstaton

Horology Curious
27/11/22
Not sure what part of that is trashing... but he's right... "factories" are not big amazing buildings there...
Everything is crude in China when it comes to black market...
I’m not disagreeing - but there is legitimacy of where the watch was manufactured and the quality.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
But not the rhetoric of the comment you posted.

I wont publish the name you sent me in private, but its not a TD here.

Since you are new here, theres a distinction between just anyone and a TD on this site. The status is earned and monitored. The one you sent me is not on that list. So I say “send him to have intercourse with himself and pick a TD from this board” theres a whole section dedicated to that sort of thing.

andrewstaton

Horology Curious
27/11/22
I appreciate that - interesting he flashed his profile with “trusted dealer” - however, I also walked away and told him respectfully that I no longer respected him… and ordered the watch from TD trusty time - super easy to work with and already a good experience. Thanks and appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: Procurator

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Good man. If you keep this up, you will do very well here.
God speed. 😉

Reactions: j2rep

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I've never heard anyone claim that the watches were made in industrial factories with the name on the building in large letters. We know the conditions they are made in, we know the lengths they go to not get caught, many of us have played this game for long enough to know.

The "TD" you spoke with is a bullshitter though.

Reactions: andrewstaton

PetersPan

Horology Curious
29/11/22
Sound absolutely like what I expect the "factories" to look like. Even in China, you can't set up a big industrial style "factory" to produce only reps of universally known top-brands.

You might get away with a small batch of reps in an otherwise "normal" watch factory, but even then, it's risky.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
zNVVvk.jpg

surf

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/8/12
Didn't TC visit a factory Years ago and was impressed. He is an engineer so I trusted his opinion.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Lol. I wondered how long it would be before that picture was posted. There you have it...the Noob Factory That dealer was lying.
Damn
Such investment and infrastructure and we still get mis aligned bezels, bad rehaut, noisy rotors and rattly bracelets... :p

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
That's a great pitch. Absolutely reliable no BS assessment of the industry's status from an influential and renowned source.
Season 9 Episode 25 GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: Procurator

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Since this is your 2nd post on this board….

I ask…

What TD was this message from?

Im 99,9% certain, it didnt come from any TD on this board. The lagugage and phrasing used is way off for trusted folks here.
I know exactly what TD said this- I received the exact same message when I ordered from them a few months ago.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Oh yes, very.
Theres some thruth to it, but way off altered story.

My concern was whether someone like that exists in this forum. Good to know the answer is NO.