• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AR coating in a Gen PAM

sunshineboy

Horology Curious
14/7/08
Hi,

I wonder if any of you notice most of the crystals on a rep will distort the visibility of the dial when you look from a side angle where the gen won't. I think this is one of the biggest tell of a rep.

are there any dealers out there who has crystals that do not have this effect? I try to find a pic to illustrate but unfortunately I couldn't.

Thanks.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
I don't know how much, if any, that has to do with AR... I think it's more the superior sapphire crystal of the gen that makes it more 'clear' and less prone to distortion or cloudiness when viewed from an angle. Genuine crystals are always more "crystal clear".. as it were. You can send your rep crystal to k2222 (or send the entire watch, and the crystal can be removed by him) to have single or double AR coating applied, and that would improve it a bit.

sunshineboy

Horology Curious
14/7/08
Thanks.

I don't know anything about crystal so I thought it's to do with the AR coating. The crystal on my rep is actually very clear. it's just the distortion that it creates makes it the biggest tell as people can see it even from quite far away distance. As far as I know, none of the Gen PAM has this effect and I didn't see much people talking about this here.

On the other hand, I was told by one of the seller in ioXXer.com that the crystal that his watches use come from the same supplier as the gen. The crystal on the Ferrari rep look so much like the real. (no distortion)

Has anyone seen a non-distorted crystal on a PAM rep before? any information is much appreciated. Thanks.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i guess i don't understand what you are saying. none of my pams have any unusual distortion.

sunshineboy

Horology Curious
14/7/08
The crystal on your PAM looks normal. I just thought most of the rep has the distortion effect that appear in the link I posted above.

Thanks.

Btw, HK, may i know where / who did you get your PAM from?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
sunshineboy said:
The crystal on your PAM looks normal. I just thought most of the rep has the distortion effect that appear in the link I posted above.

Thanks.

Btw, HK, may i know where / who did you get your PAM from?

i have a 113e, 111h and 177h. all of them came from ruby and have been modded by vac.

if you look completely parallel to the crystal you will get a small amount of distortion because of the curvature of it. their is no way around that but sapphire is better than synthetic sapphire/glass. ar coating makes the crystal more clear but it does nothing to stop distortion. the thicker the sapphire is the more distortion you will have. it acts as a magnifying glass to a certain extent.

i hope this helps but i don't feel that i have explained myself very well.

hk

sunshineboy

Horology Curious
14/7/08
it makes some sense to me. At least it gives me the idea I can still have rep PAM with crystal close to the gen. Understand when you look at the watch nearly parallel to the crystal you won't be able to see anything, it's just that the fake pam that I have has the distortion with the angle not so parallel to the watch.

What has been modded on your PAMs from Vac? Thanks.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
sunshineboy said:
it makes some sense to me. At least it gives me the idea I can still have rep PAM with crystal close to the gen. Understand when you look at the watch nearly parallel to the crystal you won't be able to see anything, it's just that the fake pam that I have has the distortion with the angle not so parallel to the watch.

What has been modded on your PAMs from Vac? Thanks.

on my 113e all he had to do was superlume it and it was good to go. the 111h, 177h i had him change the crown, crown guard, cannon pin and superlume.

rawg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/08
hk45ca said:
i guess i don't understand what you are saying. none of my pams have any unusual distortion.

that is a spanking good looking strap on that second watch pic hk!!!!! (where did that come from)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
it came from tc straps, :D

dsc02815editedaq0.jpg

dsc02777editedfp5.jpg

rawg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/08
gonna definitely look it up and need to buy me a pam like that, so far only got blackseal (sent to rbj, damn haven't heard from him really about it's progress), 252 and that's it, that strap doesn't seem to fit well with my current pams anyway